Hey guys im about to buy a tele profesional... I was wondering was the diference in sound what are cons and all that? Is it sound harsh with the maple? Etc... Which should i get?
Buy whatever you prefer the look and feel of. That's what really matters.

Leave your ideas about wood affecting the tone of an amplified solidbody electric guitar at the door.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
T00DEEPBLUE yeah thats what i thought but i heard that it affects the tone... I know that maple is much smoother than rosewood but i didnt know if it poduce the same tone or not.
Jeanpr002 People have a lot of differing beliefs on the subject, but I'm largely in agreement with what willseasyguitar on youtube has to say on the subject. He's uploaded tons of videos about the debate which provide more information than you'll likely have the attention span to all listen to. If you're really curious, then you can go there.

Suffice to say, if you're playing and amplifying the guitar the same way most people do, then in practical terms it doesn't matter.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Rosewood is much better...

Because I like the look of it over maple.
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '15 Epi LP Standard with 57/57+ Gibbys
Blackstar S1-45, Marshall DSL100H, JetCity JCA50H
Quote by Jeanpr002
Hey guys im about to buy a tele profesional... I was wondering was the diference in sound what are cons and all that? Is it sound harsh with the maple? Etc... Which should i get?

The one you think is pretty. No significant difference in sound.
One thing, however -- maple is always coated with a finish, and on the fretboard that eventually wears off. If you love the look of dirt spots on your fretboard after a while, go with maple. Rosewood doesn't require a finish.
I'm a strong believer that while wood does effect tone, once effects and distortion are added, the impact is miniscule, and any impact can be counteracted by settings on your amp or the addition of, say, an equaliser pedal.

The impact on playability is far greater. For example, I HATE a rosewood fret board, and would always choose Maple or Ebony in it's place every time.
Quote by alistairdunne1994
I I HATE a rosewood fret board

Was your mother beaten with some rosewood? Or maybe you "had a bad experience" with rosewood? One has to wonder what would make someone HATE wood.
Quote by DirtFarmer
Was your mother beaten with some rosewood? Or maybe you "had a bad experience" with rosewood? One has to wonder what would make someone HATE wood.

My whole family was wiped out in a Rosewood tree related incident.
alistairdunne1994 May they rest in peace, sorry for your loss!
choice of fingerboard is all about feel. any change in tone is so insignificant that you can't hear it. I have both rosewood and maple boarded strats and the tonal differences are the pickups only.
go with what is prettier and/or the feel.

i prefer maple to rosewood i like the way it feels better, but its not a big deal.

one thing to be noted is that there is a difference between cheap rosewood and nice rosewood. i imagine that the strat in question would have a better rosewood then say a $300 chinese whatyamacallit.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If you're pressing the strings down hard enough to actually feel the fretboard on a regular basis...?? It's much easier to clean rosewood than it is to remove stains from maple boards.

In my relative old age (lol), I've gone for whatever I like the looks of. Right now I want more over-the-top birdseye necks & boards!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
I prefer rosewood, but rosewood is dying off quickly. Maple is snappy and bright which is great for soaring lead tones, but you can still darken up maple using your tone knob to get those creamy tones
Youtube: Musishoon
Quote by musishoon
DirtFarmer But take a white guitar with a maple neck, its byatiful

Definitely my favorite color scheme as well:

Darrell Braun did the best video I've seen comparing Tele fretboards (he tried both on the same guitar), and what he found was that there is an audible difference, but a very minor one that could probably be erased with a small twist of a knob. I went with maple because I like the way it looks. I've heard people like Clapton say maple makes it easier to bend, but I haven't really noticed a difference.
Death to Ovation haters!
Last edited by PatchworkMan at Feb 11, 2017,
PatchworkManIve found maple is brighter and snappier, at times, maybe too much so. The rosewood will tend to push that back creating a more diverse tone
musishoon

I agree with that statement 100%. For the user who said maple vs rosewood doesn't affect tone.....um, no. As minuscule as it may be, maple will leave you with a brighter tone hands down. Anyone who plays a Telecaster especially will be aware of this. Hard (sugar) maple (which is the variety of maple used on fretboards) is obviously a very hard, dense wood that doesn't absorb very much string vibration....while rosewood is slightly "spongy" if you will and leaves you with a darker tone that doesn't "bite" as much. Sure, if you're running 60 different effects it probably gets lost in the mix. Play it clean, side by side and the difference IS THERE however.

There's a reason why a CBS Strat or Tele is worth more if it has a rosewood board compared to maple.....and it's not about aesthetics only.

As a Telecaster player, I go out of my way to find Rosewood boards and there are more than a few players like me as well.

Would I pass up a good deal on a Tele with a maple board? No. Do I think they carry a different tone? Yes, and I've witnessed it on numerous identical guitars in the studio.
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
Last edited by SG6578 at Feb 13, 2017,
Quote by musishoon
PatchworkManIve found maple is brighter and snappier, at times, maybe too much so. The rosewood will tend to push that back creating a more diverse tone

Yes, the maple is slightly brighter and snappier, but, as I said before, it's not a big enough difference that you can't easily make up for it by turning a few knobs. My Strat sounds as dark and creamy as any single coil Strat on the market, despite the maple board, because I have my rig set up that way. The answer to the rosewood vs. maple question is always the same: get the one that looks and feels better to you, then set your rig to sound the way you want it to sound.

EDIT: For an example, check out my NGD thread that's on the front page right now. It's got a link to a video of me playing my maple board Strat. That's the middle pickup running into a solid state amp, no pedals, no effects other than a little bit of reverb, and it sounds darker and smoother than most neck pickups, even with a maple board.
Death to Ovation haters!
Last edited by PatchworkMan at Feb 13, 2017,
Quote by PatchworkMan
Yes, the maple is slightly brighter and snappier, but, as I said before, it's not a big enough difference that you can't easily make up for it by turning a few knobs. My Strat sounds as dark and creamy as any single coil Strat on the market, despite the maple board, because I have my rig set up that way. The answer to the rosewood vs. maple question is always the same: get the one that looks and feels better to you, then set your rig to sound the way you want it to sound.

And when you're talking about such small differences, the placebo effect becomes a significant contributor to the tone of a maple board being snappier
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
And when you're talking about such small differences, the placebo effect becomes a significant contributor to the tone of a maple board being snappier
Then explain blind tests
Quote by musishoon
Then explain blind tests

You expect there to be a difference in blind tests too, so your brain creates that difference for itself.

There was this double blind test video I saw which showed the difference in tone between a cheap cable and an expensive one. The player swore that 'hands-down' there was a tonal difference between cable A and cable B, when in reality no cables were used at all and instead both cables were actually just a single piece of bent coathanger wire. Even the sound of a cable being plugged and unplugged was done by the person carrying out the experiment to sell the confidence trick.

I wish I could find that video.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
You expect there to be a difference in blind tests too, so your brain creates that difference for itself.

There was this double blind test video I saw which showed the difference in tone between a cheap cable and an expensive one. The player swore that 'hands-down' there was a tonal difference between cable A and cable B, when in reality no cables were used at all and instead both cables were actually just a single piece of bent coathanger wire. Even the sound of a cable being plugged and unplugged was done by the person carrying out the experiment to sell the confidence trick.

I wish I could find that video.
Except for the blind tests between maple and rosewood where I was able to correctly guess maple every time tho..
I think you're missing the point...
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
ITT: both sides of the argument have no evidence except hearsay and anecdotes :P

try before you buy, or go with what you think is prettier
I would go with maple simply for the fact that you wouldn't have to mess with CITES regulations
"Well reeeer to you too sir...Its the internet. Do you really expect it to be completely serious?" - mcraddict81592
Lol tonewood

How much do you want to deal with cites
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by Våd Hamster
I'd like to take this opportunity to be smug and condescending to everyone before adding nothing to the thread.

Condensed for clarity.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by musishoon
Except for the blind tests between maple and rosewood where I was able to correctly guess maple every time tho..

please note the keyword in your statement GUESS.
I like maple on stage. Its far easier to see where you are under flashing lights. As for the tone? Select your pups appropriately. Different pups make a FAR bigger difference in tone, far outweighing the whole "tonewood" bullshit. Hell, changing the pots will make a bigger difference. My eyes see black dots on a pale yellow background far better than light dots on a rosewood board. Maybe your eyes are different but under stage lighting I find maple far easier to see.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by monwobobbo
please note the keyword in your statement GUESS.
Yes, an educated guess based off of observations.....
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I think you're missing the point...
Irony is spelled with a capital You
Quote by musishoon
Then explain blind tests
Blind tests are evidence of an audible difference, but that's a far cry from demonstrating a difference that is significant in comparison to pots, EQ, choice of amp, choice of pickups, etc. The question isn't just whether or not there is a difference in sound; it's whether or not there is a difference in sound that should be given much weight when choosing a guitar.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by PatchworkMan
Blind tests are evidence of an audible difference, but that's a far cry from demonstrating a difference that is significant in comparison to pots, EQ, choice of amp, choice of pickups, etc. The question isn't just whether or not there is a difference in sound; it's whether or not there is a difference in sound that should be given much weight when choosing a guitar.
I try to go as neutral as possible when chosing electronics. I want the tone to come from the wood.
Quote by musishoon
Irony is spelled with a capital I

Fixed.

The amount of useful discussion this thread could've yielded died a long time ago.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee