This is my first post on the Ultimate Guitar forums, and I am not sure if this is quite the right place to post this.. but anyway

I will be heading off to college in the fall, and obviously I will not be able to (easily) take a 100 pound 4x12 tube amp into my dorm room. I was thinking of something that is very portable. Either a Vox-20, or a software like Bias. I played around with the Vox for a little bit, and I enjoyed how you could get lots of different tones out of it. I have also been playing around with the Bias desktop demo and I am also enjoying that. I also like the fact that I have almost every single tone imaginable at my finger tips.

I just wanted to get the perspective of some people that have actually spent many hours playing with either or, and why one may be better than the other.
It really depends on what you want. Amp sims have come a long way. You can get by with a cheap instrument to USB cable into your laptop. There is probably some value to a quality interface at around $100 - $150. Don't cheap out on the headphones either if you want this to be silent. To play with others you will need to hook your laptop up to a PA system or a powered speaker (like an active monitor wedge).

If you want an amp there are a few low wattage options out there with tons of DI / Speaker Emulation / USB / Headphone ports. Check out Peavey's Mini Head line up and the Laney IRT-Studio. The plus here is you just plug into a normal cab or you can take the DI directly to a mixer.

My favorite quiet setup is a combination of the Laney IRT-Studio with Peavey ReValver cabinet impulses (and sometimes the naked guitar run through a Dual Rec sim with some panning) through some Audio Technica ATH-M50X headphones.

I'm still in the honeymoon phase with the Laney but so far so good.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Computer sims are good *except* that you have to have the computer there as well. I went with standalone modelers like the Korg Pandora and the Line 6 Pod (bean size) for quiet practice. No computer to haul around, and used Pods, etc. run about the same as a good interface. Headphone use is a no-brainer, and you can always feed them into a power amp or powered speakers if you need others to hear what you're doing.
Yeah I think the question should be used modeller like a POD or similar vs. BIAS.

I personally loves BIAS for practice, but I have it on my iPad, and therefore its a bit easier to pull out on a whim, I only need my iRig HD, headphones, iPad, guitar and cable. With a computer, you the cumbersomeness of a laptop or desktop, the interface (if you don't want bad latency), the guitar, a USB cord, a guitar cable, and headphones.

In terms of sound quality, I think BIAS on the the PC probably is the best bang for your buck, but a used POD HD (the desktop bean one) would also offer really good sounds at an affordable price.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.