Hello UG!

I'm wondering if someone has some recent experience boarding a plane with a guitar, especially with a Taylor GS mini sized one while traveling with Lufthansa. On their official website they have stated that a free carry-on piece should not exceed a length of 55 cm or so... Which is a joke for guitars of any size I suppose. I guess they definitely would ask me to pay an extra if I contacted the service center.

I'm going to have a vacation in China next month and it would be great to know if it's generally OK to take my GS mini with me. The guitar and a Laptop are all what I will take traveling with me. I've read that the outcome may greatly depend on the crew, but in the worst scenario what would actually happen if I am refused to board with the guitar? Is it possible for me to ask the airport to mail the guitar back to my apartment? I mean, apparently I may have to pay for the guitar AGAIN when I fly back to Europe. I'd rather just travel without the guitar if that's what happened...

Cheers
8thstar
Probably best to call and ask. I'm doubtful they'll let you take it on as hand luggage without an extra ticket to be honest.
I have heard all kinds of horror stories of guitars getting broken through mishandling of flight staff when given to main luggage, even in very protective hard shell cases. Best thing you can do is call and ask, I don't think I would ever travel with my guitar because of the extra costs and damage / being stolen possibilityz
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

I took an acoustic guitar as a carry-on on Lufthansa last year (Frankfurt to JFK) and I didn't call ahead of time or anything, and didn't have to pay extra. Airline policies change though so I would call to make sure.

Generally speaking, any top-tier airline should let you bring a guitar as a carry-on. I have been able to take mine on various airlines without any issues.
cat
Thanks for the tips guys, will try contacting them later.

guitarxo May I ask what size was your guitar which you took as a carry-on with Lufthansa?
I'm just gonna say not taking it, especially to China of all places, is a good idea
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by 8thstar
Thanks for the tips guys, will try contacting them later.

guitarxo May I ask what size was your guitar which you took as a carry-on with Lufthansa?

40" acoustic
cat
Worst case scenario they throw you out in the middle of the flight
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Quote by Pastafarian96
I'm just gonna say not taking it, especially to China of all places, is a good idea
Brought my dreadnought on a United flight to and from in a partly reinforced bag (with holes, but I reinforced by putting stuff inside. Now I have an overkill bag that will probably survive anything a plane could bring, particularly with a "Fragile" tag)

The problem was leaving China (I had 2 stops leaving, 1 stop incoming). They put it in checked luggage because there were too many passengers, but I had no problems with storing it overhead otherwise. (the guitar survived just fine, but something else got stolen... :\) Just have to get your stuff into the flight first/ASAP and talk with the attendants at times

I'm not sure what laws are in Europe, but there's a musical instrument provision in the States that would help as long as the flight's not overbooked
Always best to call ahead, which it seems like you're doing
Quote by NeoMvsEu
particularly with a "Fragile" tag

Have you tried using stronger tags?

badum tish