I play an electric into a pedal and then the pedal into a amp. Recently I've noticed that when I play and move around there seems to be a signal disconnect, or that horrible scratchy noise when a cable goes bad. Thing is, I can't figure out where the bad section is at. Is it my guitar input jack? the cable going into the pedal? the pedal input jack, the pedal output jack, the cable going to the amp or the amp input jack or a combination of the above? At any point in this signal chain when I wiggle the jack/cable, it seems to make the noise about half of the time.

Can I use a tool to test if there is anything wrong like multimeter or something?
A multimeter with an Ohms measuring faciltiy is essential equipment for electric guitar players IMO, but you need to know how to use it.

Another solution to your particular problem is replace each lead in turn with a new one.

Or open the plugs and look at the connections (also open the guitar and pedal to check the connections and to bend the contacts tighter).
First thing you could try is remove the pedal from the equation, just plug straight into the amp.
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '15 Epi LP Standard with 57/57+ Gibbys
Blackstar S1-45, Marshall DSL100H, JetCity JCA50H
The only tool you really need here is a spare cable or two.

With a good cable, plug straight from the guitar to the amp. Now you know if it's one of those two. Now plug the old cable back in. If the problem comes back it was the cable.
If that's good, plug the pedal into the amp without the guitar connected. Now you know if it's the output jack. If that's still good, plug everything in and now you know if it's the input jack.

I wouldn't bother messing around with a multimeter, it's a pain in the ass to test for intermittent continuity that you can already hear perfectly well through the amp. Just get some good cables and wiggle stuff until you narrow down the problem area. If you suspect a particular jack or connection you can pop open the guitar or pedal and usually replicate the issue more consistently by manipulating it directly.

that's the problem, I'm not sure I even have a good cable! If I get a multimeter I know how to test if a cable is bad or not. But how about the input jack on an amp or an output one on a guitar? Is there a specific way of measuring if their is a disconnect in the signal path?
Measuring for a disconnect in the signal path? That's what popping and shorting out are. So long as you can isolate a couple of variables, your amp is a perfectly good device for this. It's essentially the continuity function of a meter, with a different sound for good/bad continuity.

Measuring for continuity in a jack is odd, because usually the jack is dirty (so the issue is the contact between cable and jack, not within the jack itself) or the soldered connection from the jack to wherever it's going. So measuring the jack itself is not usually a thing. I usually just plug the suspect item into an amp and wiggle the cable around. If it starts acting up when it's being stressed, it's a good sign something is loose or dirty. A multimeter won't usually give you that kind of information. It's actually a lot easier to diagnose this stuff with a cable than a meter. Plus, it's good to have a spare cable around, and they're cheap. So that's my suggestion. I'd also get a can of contact cleaner and blow out all the jacks. Again, cheap and easy and smart to have around before you need it.

A meter is great in a lot of situations but it is not the tool I would use or recommend here.
First thing to check would be your guitars output jack. If it is loose it can cause this. If the nut is loose, open the control cavity and hold the jack from behind while you tighten the nut.

Cables get pulled, stepped on and caught on things all the time. Get a new cable (you should always have an extra one lying around anyway). This way you can eliminate another of your variables.
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
Thread was moved to forum: Guitar Gear & Accessories
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou

Quote by Axelfox