So my old laptop is quickly biting the dust, and I'm looking for a replacement. My question mainly revolves around the processor. I've got an older generation i7 in my current laptop, but the one I'm looking at has a 7th gen Core™ i7-7500U. It's a dual core where my current is a quad, but if this laptop is primarily for recording and not gaming, will this in conjunction with a start of 8gb ddr4 (which I'll add to) going to be fine to record without issue? I'm running Reaper with an M audio M track, and my budget is no higher than about 850 US.

Thanks in advance.

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
Other crucial points:

1) HDD or SSD?

2) if an HDD, what speed does it spin at? If it's below 7200, forget about it.

3) Are you going to be using samples? If so you will want a separate SSD
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
Yeah, drive speed is always the deal-breaker with lap-top recording. To preserve battery life, most manufacturers see 5400 rpm drives as a good compromise between performance and energy use. But with audio, anything less than 7200 rpm will leave you wanting more at some point. (depending on how many tracks you expect to use.... )

Must it be a laptop?

I just bought a brand new computer a few months ago for my studio and it was about $250 all in. It's a fast dual-core (which for audio, is better than a slower clock-speed quad core) with 8GB of RAM. Yeah, sure.... dated before I even opened the box, but it runs every project I throw at it. I don't even know what it is and is not capable of as it has never hit the wall. I've done songs with 20-some tracks of audio at 24-bit though, with as many plug-ins as I have needed.

Spend the extra $500 on a nice mic or a nice preamp.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Ten years ago, I did our album (each song upwards towards 30 tracks of 24 bit audio) on a single-core Celeron processor, Windows XP, and less than a gig of RAM.

Audio is NOT all that demanding. It gets tricky when you're using a lot of samples, soft-synths, etc.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.