Hi all

Just joined and this is my first post, hoping it is in the right place and someone can help!

Been playing (or trying!) guitar on and off for a loooong time, used to own an amazing Fender Strat back in the 80s which I stupidly sold.

Now have a couple at home (Maverick and a Peavey) as well as a Yamaha Bass and Roland TD9 drums.

Thinking I should treat myself by getting a Les Paul Studio but for the life of me I can't see the difference (except price) in the three variants listed in the thread.

I've added a pic to highlight the price differential - not trivial so any input welcome ;-)
Attachments:
Studio2017Range.doc
*** Can't Stop What's Coming ***
Does it have to be a Gibson?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
T00DEEPBLUE - Yeah, it does! I know there are plenty other great guitars out there for similar money but ever since I was a kid I wanted to own a Les Paul and now thankfully I may have that opportunity - just working out the differences in the 3 Studio models is the hard part ....
Have you also seen what Gibsons you can buy for your budget used? Does it have to be a new Gibson?

I'd outline the spec differences between the 3 guitars which helps to explain the differences in price, but there's little point. A simple Google search yields the answer.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
T00DEEPBLUE - I'd like a new one , had a few guitars in my time but never one that was brand spanking new.

If you could outline the spec difference (even just bullet points) that would be a help as I haven't had any luck via Google for the specific differences. Or Amazon Answers nor a couple of other music forums :-(
Does Gibson's website not describe the specs of all 3 guitars and the differences can be inferred from that?

I don't mean to be awkward or unhelpful, but at the same time I don't understand why this is a problem. Its obvious from the specs what the differences are and there are a dozen websites on the first page of Google which outline the specs if you search for the guitar you want to know about.

Perhaps the reason you can't find pages that list the specific differences between those 3 specific guitars is because anyone who wanted to know did just that and got their answer?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
T00DEEPBLUE - Maybe it was just me but I couldn't find the specific differences between the three. I'll give it another go, it's not a problem per se but the price difference suggests there is obviously a fair difference in them. Cheers.
Not even sure what the gold model is?? The Wine Red 'gold' is the same price (and same guitar as the 'normal' studio??) but the black is 300 quid more?? WTH? The special uses different pickups, ash body and maple neck.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
DarthV Thanks for your input, like you I hadn't even heard of the 'Gold' version until this came up on Amazon!

I'm now thinking that version is really the HP one, the one in the middle is the more 'common' Studio T and the cheapest one has inferior/basic paint job + other differences I'm not sure on.
Last edited by Kismet110 at Feb 8, 2017,
That's probably it, but I'd want verification before ordering. Well that's if you want the HP model.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
DarthV - I was thinking on getting the T Model so middle of that range but weirdly another seller has an HP one for just £50 more than the T sadly the colour isn't the one I want.
With the fall of the CAD, the T is close to $2000 after tax here. Ouch!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
DarthV - At times I do need to open my eyes. The Gold variant has gold hardware (pickup covers, lugs etc.) hence why it's labelled GOLD.

I don't know if that equates to the HP version but that's why it's called by the colour at least!
Oh, I can afford one just not really in the market for a Gibson. For that price, I'd look ESP Eclipses :P But yeah, it's been rough the last 2-3 years. Glad I bought my JP6 and Eclipse before that happened!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
DarthV - Damn the vagaries of the foreign exchange system! On Amazon US the price is much cheaper than the UK. Guess I could get it sent to a friend over there then shipped onwards but even that's hassle and might still attract customs / tax charges. But yeah, lucky you struck at the right time :-)
Well part of the reason they are so much cheaper in the US...that's where they are made. Insured shipping then dealing with VAT once it his the UK might not save you any money. And I really can't complain about the deals I've found on used guitars. I've bought 5 MiJ Ibanez guitars for under $600 each (that's under $470US each!). Just need to be stupidly patient
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
DarthV Yeah, my thoughts too so I'll stick to a UK purchase although currently I'm working in Berlin so might look into getting one here then taking it back to London!

You've done really well, that is a lot of quality guitar for the money! I used to be very impatient but I'm better now, been thinking on getting a LP Studio for ages!
Guitar forums aren't the place to hang out if you want to be talked out of a purchase
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by Kismet110
DarthV
You've done really well, that is a lot of quality guitar for the money! I used to be very impatient but I'm better now, been thinking on getting a LP Studio for ages!

Good luck with your purchase!

I've gone all which-ways with LP type guitars over time; I have vintage LPs that I never play and that sit in storage because they're now worth silly money. I bought a new Axcess Custom because a project I was playing for demanded a "Gibson LP, none of those cheap copies!" and it had to have a Floyd Rose (!). But I personally wanted a wider thinner neck, a 16" radius, neck-through construction, jumbo frets, an ebony fretboard and abalone inlays, and a truly SOLID body, none of which Gibson had available and, at the time, nothing cheaper than the Axcess with a Floyd. I didn't care for the "no binding" look of a Studio anyway. So I went off to other manufacturers.

I recognize that a "real" Fender and a "real" Gibson have an appeal, especially to an old-time player who likely grew up with those brand names at the top of his list. Once you've got your Studio, though, take a good look around at what else is available for that same money these days. It'll be a bit of a surprise, I think.
dspellman - Thanks and wow - you have some serious guitars in your collection AND a very precise idea of what you want too!

Yeah, for someone like me who only plays (or tries to play!) for fun now and the occasional home recordings the idea of a Les Paul has always appealed having never owned one but don't get me wrong, it's not a case of MUST HAVE more a lifetime desire to own one.

Person above mentioned ESP Eclipse so I did a quick Google yesterday - looks stunning and I'm sure it plays just as well. So maybe his comments are correct, guitar forum is NOT the place to be if you want to end up more daze and confused than when you started!
DarthV- You are right! Since coming on here and doing some more research I've now got my eyes on a 2017 PRS Custom SE 24 in Whale Blue.

From the demos, reviews (and price) they look unbeatable, gorgeous to behold and one of the biggest factors is the quality control.
Funny enough, I'm trying to figure out reasons to not pull the trigger on a PRS SE 277 :P
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
DarthV - I'm sure there is no reason to not pull the trigger on it; gorgeous looking machine!
Quote by Kismet110
DarthV - I'm sure there is no reason to not pull the trigger on it; gorgeous looking machine!

After I hit a dozen guitars, I knew I had a problem Need 12 step help. Or is that 12 bar blues?
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
DarthV - TWELVE? Woah, and here was me feeling a bit guilty about getting my fourth and first ever brand new one ;-)

I guess we now know the real reason why they call it the blues .....
Didn't say I stopped at 12, just knew I potentially had a problem at that threshold :P

Then again, don't smoke, don't drink more than a beer or two and don't do drugs. Could be worse things to spend disposable income on.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
DarthV - And the beat goes on then :-) Oh yeah, compared to cigarettes & serious drugs this is a WAY better use of disposable income.

Got a Maverick F-4, USA Peavey Predator and a Les Paul copy along with a Yamaha bass so a long way to go until the Magic Dozen....!
Kimg0034.jpg
1800$.cad. and worth every penny. No sound difference from LP standard. Same pickups. Flat out rocks
Last edited by bowhonk at Oct 15, 2017,
Please dont bump old threads
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.