Hi all. I accidentally scorched a cap while installing some mods so im trying to find a replacement that s better quality, it doesnt seem to get any attention on mod sites so im really stuck and I do see it upgraded on other people wahs. It in the pic attached, thanks for the help.
The reason it doesn't get any attention on mod sites is because in this application, assuming the value is correct, within tolerance of said rated value and the voltage rating isn't below 9v (which in this case it obviously won't be) then there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Different dielectric types making a tonal difference is a myth.

Read this article.

http://zerocapcable.com/?page_id=224

The only reason you might see people change that cap is because they've either damaged it (like you have) or they're replacing it with one of a different value as part of a mod. The so-called 'quality' of the cap has nothing to do with it. At least not to people who know what they're talking about.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Thanks for that, im still learning so dont understand all of that article yet but I get what its saying. I guess what im asking is how to identify and replace a cap and not just an upgrade, I see it shows its a 0.22uf ( i dont know what the J63 means) so can I just grab any cap that is 0.22uf? this is where I get stuck, do I need to look at other values first like voltage etc? if so how do I find out its voltage?

By the way that pic is a sample its not the actual picture of mine, the cap circled on mine is half melted.

This thread was supposed to be about something else actually but I started with the biggest issue. My other issue is I bought a mod kit on ebay but he didnt send any instructions and is ignoring me for a week now so im stuck with these caps and switches etc, ive managed to do the true bypass mod thanks to an excellent tutorial on YT but mine came with a small pot and no idea where to solder it. This burning of the cap wouldnt have happened if I had these instruction and didnt have to wing it.
Last edited by hawkfrend at Feb 8, 2017,
Quote by hawkfrend
I see it shows its a 0.22uf ( i dont know what the J63 means) so can I just grab any cap that is 0.22uf?

Read this:

http://www.wikihow.com/Read-a-Capacitor

The J refers to the tolerance value of the cap. In this case it has a 5% tolerance. The 63 may refer to temperature rating.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Read this:

http://www.wikihow.com/Read-a-Capacitor

The J refers to the tolerance value of the cap. In this case it has a 5% tolerance. The 63 may refer to temperature rating.

That exactly what im looking for thanks, I searched for "how to identify a cap" today and didnt see that one. So I can ignore voltage thats good, so any type of cap will do, preferably a reliable one in this case. Thanks for your help man mucho gracias.