Poll Options
View poll results: Which one?
Epiphone LP Traditional Pro
6 67%
Ibanez S521
2 22%
Telecaster
2 22%
Wait for something else (ex: An Ibanez RG)
0 0%
Voters: 9.
So after ~2 years of experience playing on my brothers Squier I'm looking forward to buy my first guitar and it comed down to these three..
-Jay Turser modified Telecaster with hotrail seymour duncans and upgraded bridge (would that compare with the LP?)
-Ibanez S521
-Epiphone LP Traditional Pro (the wine red one; I think it looks pretty nice)
These guitars are at the same price (~285$ second).. My heart is really wanting that Epi but I'm concerned about the fat neck, especially compared to the ibanez.. I'm looking mostly for a rock sound, especially lead soloing. The LP has a slimtaper D neck which I guess I would get used to after a while since I have a little bit bigger hands then average but how good is a LP for soloing/shredding?

Ps: Picture with the tele
Last edited by aierizerdaniel at Feb 8, 2017,
Nobody has the same hands, guitar position and technique as you. You're going to have to try them out and see which seems to work for you.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Yep... What DarthV said. Try before you buy.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
I mean if you really want to shred, and not mean that in a generic term kinda way, the ibanez would make the most sense.

but like you said, you'll probably get used to whatever it is you buy. if you can try them out before buying, I'd highly suggest that
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
For lead rock soloing I'd look for Humbuckers.

Your choices are very diverse. I also suggest to try them out and get the one that you like the best.

Whatever you buy you'll probably buy another guitar soon anyway!
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
It really all depends on what's most comfortable for you and what tone you like best, so try them all and see what clicks best for you. I used to think that I couldn't get the sound I desired out of a Strat, now I go to my Strat more often than my ESP because this stuff comes with time and experience with a variety of gear.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I goed to my local Guitar Shop and they don't have Gibsons or Epi's so I tried a Vintage V100MR (les paul body) which I guess should be close to the traditional pro (or not?). While the feel of the neck was ok (especially since I was playing a lot of acoustic in the last few weeks), the guitar was way heavier than I thought it would be.. I tried the s521 and it was nice, while I was playing, it seemed like there were a lot of unwanted harmonics.. Is that my fault or the guitar is more sensible or something? While the feel and playing was nicer on the LP the ibanez was more comfortable, probably because of it's slim and light body.. Overall I really can't decide.. The Ibanez seems like a safer buy till I get more experience, and for a few years it should be okay till I might get another guitar.. But I think the Epi would sound better.. And even though it would probably break my neck, it has a really good feel in my opinion.. The neck isn't that bad as I thought it would be.. But getting those high sounds at the ~20th fret is indeed harder (like at an acoustic imo)... I might not need those 24 frets of the Ibanez for now but maybe if I knew they were there I would start using them and putting them somehow in my playing...On the style part I like the look of the Wine Red Lp more than the Ibanez (even though I saw the LP only in pictures).. Overall, the Ibanez might be a safer pick, my guts are telling to go with the Les Paul.. I will go back to the shop tomorrow to further decide..
Last edited by aierizerdaniel at Feb 9, 2017,
Quote by aierizerdaniel
The neck isn't that bad as I thought it would be.. But getting those high sounds at the ~20th fret is indeed harder (like at an acoustic imo)... I might not need those 24 frets of the Ibanez for now but maybe if I knew they were there I would start using them and putting them somehow in my playing...On the style part I like the look of the Wine Red Lp more than the Ibanez (even though I saw the LP only in pictures).. Overall, the Ibanez might be a safer pick, my guts are telling to go with the Les Paul.. I will go back to the shop tomorrow to further decide..

A couple of things: there are other brands of LP-style guitar that have 24-fret necks and smooth neck heels. From the front they generally look like an ordinary Epiphone or Gibson (different headstock shape and name, obviously). If the weight of an LP is too much for you, then an Ibanez isn't a bad way to go.
One more thing: The LP has a coil splitter so it should be more versatile.. And also, thanks for the advices.
If you want a lp style guitar, i recommend you check out the LTD EC line. The necks are slimmer and upper fret acces is much better. They also look like a sexier version of a les paul, but i guess thats just me
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by aierizerdaniel
I goed to my local Guitar Shop and they don't have Gibsons or Epi's so I tried a Vintage V100MR (les paul body) which I guess should be close to the traditional pro (or not?). While the feel of the neck was ok (especially since I was playing a lot of acoustic in the last few weeks), the guitar was way heavier than I thought it would be.. I tried the s521 and it was nice, while I was playing, it seemed like there were a lot of unwanted harmonics.. Is that my fault or the guitar is more sensible or something? While the feel and playing was nicer on the LP the ibanez was more comfortable, probably because of it's slim and light body.. Overall I really can't decide.. The Ibanez seems like a safer buy till I get more experience, and for a few years it should be okay till I might get another guitar.. But I think the Epi would sound better.. And even though it would probably break my neck, it has a really good feel in my opinion.. The neck isn't that bad as I thought it would be.. But getting those high sounds at the ~20th fret is indeed harder (like at an acoustic imo)... I might not need those 24 frets of the Ibanez for now but maybe if I knew they were there I would start using them and putting them somehow in my playing...On the style part I like the look of the Wine Red Lp more than the Ibanez (even though I saw the LP only in pictures).. Overall, the Ibanez might be a safer pick, my guts are telling to go with the Les Paul.. I will go back to the shop tomorrow to further decide..

If your gut is telling you get a Les Paul, then get one.

Nothing wrong with the Ibanez, but an LP seems like the kind of guitar you'd be happier to own in the longer term. If you end up wanting an Ibanez, you can always get one in the future.

There are tons of LP alternatives if you don't mind the body shape not being accurate to the real thing. A lot of them have thinner bodies that give them better fret access and lighter weight, like the aforementioned LTD Eclipses. Obviously they don't feel like true LP's because of this, but if you just like how LP's are approximately styled, then it may be an option worth considering. To me an LP's heft is a part of its appeal and I like the look of the thicker bodies they have. They are that thick because they were originally supposed to mimic the look of the hollowbody guitars that were fashionable at the time, which needed to have thick bodies to have good acoustic tone and projection.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by gorkyporky
If you want a lp style guitar, i recommend you check out the LTD EC line. The necks are slimmer and upper fret acces is much better. They also look like a sexier version of a les paul, but i guess thats just me

What, you're saying that YOU look like a sexier version of a Les Paul, too?
Quote by dspellman
What, you're saying that YOU look like a sexier version of a Les Paul, too?

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I goed back today to the store with a strap so I could try the guitars with it, and for my surprise the Vintage LP felt really good, a lot better then the Ibanez one, but sitting down the Ibanez had a slightly better feel then the LP one (though the LP seemed lighter today, probably because I got used to the idea and it is actuallt pretty acceptable).. I don't know how good a comparison is the Vintage V100MR to the Trad Pro, I really wish I could try the Epi but sadly there is no way for it.. The Ibanez is really easy to play on, but I reckon the Trad Pro would sound better (my opinion is most probably biased, since I didn't even try an Epi in my life, so yeah...).. Considering that I'm still in the beginner class, that my tone would be pretty bad anyway (since I'm gonna probably use it with a Fender Mustang 2), and that esthetics don't matter that much, I will probably buy the Ibanez.. The one thing that stops me from it that it feels kinda cheap.. My guts are still telling me to buy the Les Paul.. There is an ESP EC-100QM for 200$ (second) but again, I can't try it (that's just how it is in my country, Romania) so I might go with the Ibanez, since I had a feel of it and know what I'm getting. I will post pictures when i fully decided, and got the guitar, but advices are still welcome, and I thank everyone for the help..

I might want the Les Paul for the sake of it being a Les Paul..
Last edited by aierizerdaniel at Feb 10, 2017,
Quote by aierizerdaniel
and that esthetics don't matter that much
Sure they do. If the look of one guitar makes you want to play it more than the look of another guitar, it's better to have the guitar you prefer in that regard.

Quote by aierizerdaniel
The one thing that stops me from it that it feels kinda cheap.. My guts are still telling me to buy the Les Paul.. There is an ESP EC-100QM for 200$ (second) but again, I can't try it (that's just how it is in my country, Romania) so I might go with the Ibanez, since I had a feel of it and know what I'm getting.
If you know what you're getting with that option but what you're getting "feels kinda cheap" then maybe it's not the way to go, I would say. A guitar that feels cheap is a guitar you'll likely end up replacing as soon as you can.

Quote by aierizerdaniel
I might want the Les Paul for the sake of it being a Les Paul..
People buy Ferraris because they're Ferraris, Rolexes because they're Rolexes, and so forth. Nobody can promise that the Les Paul will be the guitar for you but it really sounds like it's the guitar you want. Try as much as you can in your price range and keep shopping around but if you want a Les Paul you want a Les Paul.

As for whether you want the Epiphone Les Paul, I'm a fan of the brand - I generally find them to be consistently pretty good stuff for the price in recent years, and Vintage is generally well regarded, too. If the name "Les Paul" matters to you, and you can get the Epi from somewhere with a good return policy, it'd probably be worth giving it a shot. If you like how the Vintage feels and you reckon you'd be happy owning that, there's no particular reason not to go with that.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Feb 10, 2017,
I got a Ibanez S 521 I like it is is lightweight and comfortable. I do not like the stock bridge pickup I ended up swapping both pickups out. It has a 5 way switch so there is coil splitting for different sounds going on there. I like it for what it is I do play more traditional guitars too Gretsch and fenders ect. I have a couple guitars around so I can cover more sounds but as a start get the one that will inspire you to practice and learn. The first guitar I got that got me into practicing was a Squire tele back in the 80's.
Quote by aierizerdaniel
The Ibanez possibly needed a setup.
I had a Vintage V100 Lemon Drop.The neck was actually thinner than most LP necks.If the one you tried was like mine then the Epi neck will be abit thicker.Also my Vintage was exceptionally heavy.Heavier than any Epi or Gibson I've played.I wouldn't base your idea of LP's on how the Vintage felt.You really should try an Epi somewhere or a Gibson if that's what you're planning on getting.The V100 i'd say is not a typical feel for an LP.
Quote by Gold_Concept
I vote for the Les Paul, not the poor chinese copy ...

Gibson Les Paul Studio or Tribute

Neither of which are in his budget.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R