Hi guys, I am now the proud owner of an Epi LP/S as my first guitar, and when I got it I went to GC to get an amp and actually listened to them and bought a Line 6 Spider V. While its neat to play around with the different sounds and such, I feel like I cant get a good grip on the amp itself and had "option paralysis" as it were, so back it went.

I've wanted to spend ~$200 on an amp, as itll just be for me right now, so here's what I *like*

*Headphone jack, preferably the smaller one
*Be able to handle classic rock/SRV blues with the occasional foray into METAL \../,
*Hopefully accepts pedals well at a later date (only thing I have in mind are a tube screamer and wah so far)

SO! With that said, I have been looking at a NEW Blackstar Core ID 40 or a USED (pawnshop) Fender Stage 160 DSP missing the foot switch.

I am also open to other amps in the ~$200 range new or used if they're online and I can order them.

If it helps, my influences are SRV, Slash, Boston, and Id love to figure out the Knopfler "MFN" tone.

While we're on the subject of tone, can anyone help me figure out the tone used on Don Henley's much maligned "All she wants to do is dance"?

THANKS IN ADVANCE
might have to up the budget a little but a used Peavey Valveking would be better than what you mentioned. more often than not lower end modeling amps don't take pedals al that well as they are designed to work with the built in fx (wah will work fine though)
Quote by monwobobbo
might have to up the budget a little but a used Peavey Valveking would be better than what you mentioned. more often than not lower end modeling amps don't take pedals al that well as they are designed to work with the built in fx (wah will work fine though)

thanks, thats one thing i really hoped for was to get a tube amp. im not a fan of solid state in general
I will second the vk. The older combos are a little out of budget, but will beat almost anything you can get for that price. With a ts pushing it, it can do metal, just don't expect super brutal modern tones.
Quote by Liaztraht
I will second the vk. The older combos are a little out of budget, but will beat almost anything you can get for that price. With a ts pushing it, it can do metal, just don't expect super brutal modern tones.

GC has a few for $200 to start, with shipping & Tax under $250. I know the TS wont do brutal metal but theres other things for that right? I can always get me a metal zone (Insert sarcasm here)...
davkitts I actually mean use the ts as a boost on the valve king. On the ts it's gain off volume max and tone to taste. It will tighten up the low end and boost the distortion a bit.

Works good for rock as well.
Last edited by Liaztraht at Feb 8, 2017,
Quote by Liaztraht
davkitts I actually mean use the ts as a boost on the valve king. On the ts it's gain off volume max and tone to taste. It will tighten up the low end and boost the distortion a bit.

Works good for rock as well.

i got what you were saying. Ive been doing a bunch of reading & listening since it was suggested and everything Im seeing is run clean channel only with pedals for heavy. and from what I can tell, thats basically whatd Id want to do for 99% of what I want to play anyway.

if only I could find a 5150 on the side of the road...
It depends on what kind of heavy. I've seen vks do thrash and old-school death metal fine on the gain channel. The modern stuff no.

Best bet is to see what you can do with the amp and the ts, then go from there if you need more.