Just bought this Jim Root Tele and the guy I bought it from said it just yellowed like this over time. Is there anyway to "clean" it or bring it back to its original white color?
No. The yellowing is a chemical reaction in the finish, it's not dirt or buildup on top of it.
You can cover up or re-finish the instrument, but the existing paint is not ever going to go back to being white.
Well atleast I know not to waste my time, thanks. Where would one go to get a guitar re-finished? And is matte more expensive?
With a guitar like that, it's possible that it'll cost more to refinish it than what the guitar is worth.

White finishes, be it nitro or poly are more prone to yellowing due to UV exposure over time than any other colour. Refinishing only delays the inevitable.

If you want to keep it pristinely white, keep the guitar out of sunlight as much as you can. Which for something like a guitar is not easy.

God forbid, many people LOVE it when their white finish begins turning yellow and even make a concerted effort to accelerate the yellowing
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

White finishes, be it nitro or poly are more prone to yellowing due to UV exposure over time than any other colour. Refinishing only delays the inevitable.

Note that this is a polyurethane finish, not a polyester finish (which won't yellow) -- we don't want to impune all of the various "poly" finishes available on guitars these days. I have white guitars from the mid-80's that are still clean white. Refinishing the guitar with a UV-catalyzed polyester paint would not leave the OP with an inevitable yellowing problem. As you note, however, it's not worth the time or money on a guitar at this price point.
Quote by guitarkid8
White plasti dip
Cheap
Matte
Reversible

PlastiDip isn't a bad solution, actually, and might be available in spray cans.
Quote by dspellman
Note that this is a polyurethane finish, not a polyester finish (which won't yellow) -- we don't want to impune all of the various "poly" finishes available on guitars these days. I have white guitars from the mid-80's that are still clean white. Refinishing the guitar with a UV-catalyzed polyester paint would not leave the OP with an inevitable yellowing problem. As you note, however, it's not worth the time or money on a guitar at this price point.

Maybe something to do with the way the guitar was stored over the course of its life?

My Jackson DK2M has a polyester finish and even that's yellowed ever so slightly.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Your solutions are either sandpaper or paint. Yellowing/fading finish is due to sunlight.

And guitar finishes are not the same kind of paint you buy Home Depot. If you try to use regular wall paint on your guitar it will come out looking like one of those POS Honda Civics with the homemade paint job covering up a rusty hood.
Last edited by cdgraves at Feb 10, 2017,
I just wondered if I could take it to a car painter and have them paint it matte black or something. I'd only be willing to spend a couple hundred so it it would be more than I'd just deal with it.
Quote by r.heeter
I just wondered if I could take it to a car painter and have them paint it matte black or something. I'd only be willing to spend a couple hundred so it it would be more than I'd just deal with it.

At a guess, they'd do a good job and maybe even less than $200. It's all in the prep work.
Don't paint it matte black - trust me.