I'm new to this website, and i've seen a lot of things being asked here, so I wanted to try asking this question here (I hope this is the correct forum).

I have multiple talent shows coming up (3, I think) and I was wondering people's opinion on what to play. I have a few months to decide. I would like to do do a different song for each one, preferably a max of 2 repeats, if possible. One is average teenagers, but the other two are mostly smarter and open minded kids, that wouldn't judge as much if I played an older song. I don't care about placement, I'm not even sure if any of them do have places (I know for sure that two don't). I would like to choose a song I like to play, but will still get the audience's attention.

I have heard a lot of people suggest Eruption by Van Halen, but I've tried learning it and never am interested enough in the song . I don't really like it. I do have Purple Haze memorized, and have a fuzz face style pedal for it. I have also been considering Master of Puppets; I can play everything but the solo, but kindof have rewritten it using some of the same licks, but taking out the ones I can't play and replacing them. I'm currently working on the Paranoid solo, so that's an option. I know a couple other guitar players to arrange a duet if I want for something like Enter Sandman, but I would prefer a solo piece. I can play while singing, because that was one of the first techniques I learned, so that's in.

I would like other possibilities, and do have some other options if anyone wants to hear them, but am open to other suggestions to learn. The main bands I listen to and play are: The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, and Metallica. I use a medium gain tube amp, but have an overdrive pedal that functions as a mid boost/dirty boost that can push my amp to Mesa Boogie levels, so gain isn't a problem.

I hope that this forum will help me decide on what to do!
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

I live for my girlfriend. <3
I would not play a Metallica song as a solo piece, nor a Black Sabbath song, nor a Led Zeppelin song, nor an AC/DC song... eh, anything that's meant for a full band would probably suck on solo electric guitar. Jimi Hendrix songs would probably work the best as solo pieces out of the artists you listed.

Electric guitar without bass and drums will probably sound thin no matter what. Electric guitar is not a solo instrument, quite the contrary, it's an excellent band instrument but probably sounds underwhelming on it's own unless you do a Chet Atkins or a Joe Pass style thing but I doubt that's what you're after. If you could do a song with vocals that would probably help make it more interesting though.

I don't really know what to tell you if you just want to play a song you like. I mean, I can't tell you what songs to like right? Just keep in mind that electric guitar on it's own without a band or vocals will sound very bland (with the exception of people like Atkins and styles like jazz) and I'd definitely go the acoustic guitar/vocals route for a talent show.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Will you sing to it? If so I agree with Keväthuri that Hendrix would be the best bet if you want to stick to your roots. I'd add that one of his ballads or acousic version would probably be the ones to work. I get that it's maybe not your style and maybe not what you had in mind playing. But it's what's interesting to listen to. :/
Since you can sing, sing the lyrics to Stevie Wonder "Superstitious" while playing "Sad but True".

It's called a mash up, and it either sounds great, or horrible. But they've probably never heard it before.

Good luck!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
Since you can sing, sing the lyrics to Stevie Wonder "Superstitious" while playing "Sad but True".

It's called a mash up, and it either sounds great, or horrible. But they've probably never heard it before.

Good luck!

holy shitttt. that is awesome.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I can play Purple haze and sing it at the same time. I've heard some people suggest that song before. Is it a good one to play?

Also, as a side note, I have a looper pedal with a 10 minute limit if that makes any difference.

Edit: I found the time to see the video, It's a really good mashup, but would probably not work without a band.
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

Last edited by gogiregion at Feb 11, 2017,
At one of the talent shows, last year, one person played Stairway without vocals. Clean guitar, including solo (not even a mid boost for the solo). It went over really well, despite it just being the guitar. That makes me think that I could get away with a more guitar heavy song that doesn't rely too much on drums (so probably not Matallica). Do you think something like Paranoid would be good for that?

But what I'm hearing is Hendrix at the school one, since their demands are higher. Probably Purple Haze. I like that song.

Last edited by gogiregion at Feb 11, 2017,
Some less travelled paths that work solo:
Lenny- SRV
Sleepwalk- Brian Setzer
Voodoo Child- Jimi

Bottom line, play something you can do really well and own it.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Feb 12, 2017,
Okay. I definitely have mastered Purple haze (second song I learned, helped after I got a fuzz). So Voodoo Child is a good one too?

Make a backing track? Just playing electric guitar is always a bit cringe worthy for me. If you get some rudimentary backing track with drums and bass, you can do a pretty mean cover of either Purple haze or Voodoo child. If your looper has a drum function you can also use that.

But fi you cant do that, id honestly go the way of acoustic guitar + singing.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
My looper doesn't have a drum function, but it is "sterio," so I could set one up into the AUX port and do a backing track like that. I'm not sure how well that would work, though.

Purple Haze is always a good one, Voodoo Child would be amazing. Jimi is usually a good choice.
However...
Quote by gorkyporky

... id honestly go the way of acoustic guitar + singing.

My experience with "talent" shows has less to do with talent and more to do with popularity (battle of the bands falls into this category too). If if the judges are teachers, you can definitely wow them with your skills on an awesome Hendrix performance. If it's put to popular vote of your peers or fellow students or whatever, I'd recommend choosing a recent popular hit (whether you dig it or not) and doing a version of that. You can still make it your own and change things around a bit to suit your playing style, maybe throw a solo in with some help from your looper or whatever.

That said, play what you want to play, and forget about the haters.
Yeah. I'm one of those people that just does what I want, and doesn't care about other's oppinions. Also, if there is placing in my school one, I don't care at all. The other two don't have any placements.