Page 1 of 3
It's hard to argue against that if we didn't have social constructs like government and foreign policy and religion and ideology then there would be need to be no terrorists
When a white guy blows up a shopping mall it's because he has mental issues, depression, and the blame is on his parents and childhood upbringing.

When a brown guy blows up a shopping mall it's called terrorism and the guys face is plastered all over the news and some conservative source claims he has ties to ISIS
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by EndTheRapture51
It's hard to argue against that if we didn't have social constructs like government and foreign policy and religion and ideology then there would be need to be no terrorists

But you'd be lumping narrative and music and all that with these no?

Eradicate language, eradicate terrorism. Done, we solved ISIS y'all.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

But I mean regardless of their race, the act itself is not something that's been around very long. Attacks by singular, suicidal individuals (detachment of a larger organization or otherwise) carried out against a random populace.

There have been attacks on civilians in the past but these were official groups and not really the same thing. It wasn't until the latter half of the 20th that 'terrorism' as we know it emerged.

I get that technically every battle tactic is a 'construct' and the jokey title of the thread is pedantry, but the distinction that terrorism is a social construct because of lone wolves, and not just an aspect of warfare or paramilitary groups, seems an important/terrifying one to make.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
But I mean regardless of their race, the act itself is not something that's been around very long. Attacks by singular, suicidal individuals (detachment of a larger organization or otherwise) carried out against a random populace.

I guess but I'd attribute that to most individual cases not being properly documented until recently along with the fact that it was a lot harder to blend into a society you weren't already culturally assimilated into. I also think with the recent technological leap we've made it's a lot easier for people to find easy ways to kill a lot of other people.

If we include individual attacks which history attributes to larger terrorist organizations of the time then you have to include all the bullshit the mongols had to deal with in russia, the various documented and undocumented cases of small-scale rebellions near the end of the roman empire, the narodnya volnya, the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, the black hand that acted as the catalyst for WW1, and fedayeen throughout history. I find it incredibly hard to believe that terrorism, committed by individuals or small groups, is something that just popped up in the last century or so.

So yeah it's a social construct but I'm not buying that it's 'not really the same thing' just because we haven't decided to link it to an official group of people. With the romans especially this kind of thing was happening all over the place but we've attributed it to 'barbarian rebellions' when many cases were probably small-scale or individual acts.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
I had the gunpowder plot in mind when making the thread. It's illustrative of my point: though the act fits the bill now, there was no convention involving these sorts of methods. It wasn't something ideologues aspired to because it was abnormal.

I brought this stuff up cuz I've been rereading parts of Conrad's The Secret Agent. There are proto-terrorist groups in there, but the issue of lone wolves is new.

Think of the difference in process between, for example, the Munich 77 hostage crisis and the Charleston shooting. The former was an armed group attempting to meet an endgame and the latter arose out of the construct of mass shootings; it was self-aware terrorism. It's like the difference between trying to find water at a higher altitude and going hiking.

By the way the reason I worry about this is think of the difference between Guy Fawkes and the average terrorist today. Guy Fawkes was fucking crazy. Out of his mind entirely. He crossed a line people didn't cross. But nowadays that threshold does not exist. It isn't that terrorism is taboo, but that it's known to exist as a portion of the gamut that is human behavior.

So in my eyes another way to reduce lone wolf terrorism is to return that threshold. But I dunno how that happens.

Equate terrorism with serial killers, at least after they entered our cultural lexicon as an aspect of crime or civilization. I think terrorism is the new form of that.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Feb 9, 2017,
I'd assume lone wolf attacks were a thing in the past however due to the different culture back then and there being no widespread mainstream media they were often just written off as crimes, quietly executed and put to rest.

There were lone wolf attacks in the past such as the death of Marat (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_Marat) however I think terrorism is closely linked to the rise of media and increased technology as well as increased population density.

In the past it was hard to kill people. Going on a killing spree with melee weapons would probably get you put down quickly by the town guard and your political message wouldn't be heard. However as guns and bombs become more readily available and easy to make, anyone can be a terrorist. Same with being able to get your message out there easier, and there being more people to attack in the big cities of today.
Terrorism by definition isnt a social construct but if you look at it by the subjective view of the "brown guy with a towel on his head who wants to kill us all" then its absolutely a social construct, the issue residing with how most peoples' perceptions have been skewed by their surroundings. So many have the mentality that broad strokes paint the fence faster, they dont realize that the world isnt a fence, its a mural. and you need a more refined tool to paint the picture.
Social constructs are a social construct.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Why does it matter whether it is or it isn't?

Outside of it being an excuse to post a cringe thread.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
What happened is 1000s of years ago, when humans didn't know anything about how the universe worked, we needed answers and reasons to why things happened (eg. gravity, what the sun is, why does it rain etc).

This is when religion was created, and a load of make believe gods were fashioned into peoples minds as a reason for why everything in the world worked, as we had no way of explaining all these phenomenons

Through the generations this stuck and now billions of people buy into it. Some of whom think these gods, and the fiction books that were written to back them up, now hold a reason to hurt other people
Quote by smithy15493
What happened is 1000s of years ago, when humans didn't know anything about how the universe worked, we needed answers and reasons to why things happened (eg. gravity, what the sun is, why does it rain etc).

This is when religion was created, and a load of make believe gods were fashioned into peoples minds as a reason for why everything in the world worked, as we had no way of explaining all these phenomenons

Through the generations this stuck and now billions of people buy into it. Some of whom think these gods, and the fiction books that were written to back them up, now hold a reason to hurt other people

Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Terrorism is a government construct. You arm and train a bunch of brown people to engage in conflict with other people on the other side of the planet and then you blow up some buildings in your own country and execute some of your own people and scare the shit out of your constituents.

Then you revitalize a superficial economy by allocating debt that you can't be held accountable for and inflate your currency and take away healthcare. All for the sake of combating this threat across the globe. Then you seize assets and establish a large energy portfolio as well as a centralized banking system in these countries under the guise of bringing democracy to the "Third World"

Then you defund education and put Kellyanne Conway on CNN. This is the least eloquent administration in the history of government but the majority of constituents are too stupid to be angry.

Meanwhile, everyone gives a shit about Kim Kardashian and Kanye West. Distracted, stupid, unhealthy, and most of all:

Scared

That is how people are controlled, it's not easy.

But "They" are very good at it.
Legato and fluidity in your playing is where it's at

DJENT!!
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Shredwizard445
Terrorism is a government construct. You arm and train a bunch of brown people to engage in conflict with other people on the other side of the planet and then you blow up some buildings in your own country and execute some of your own people and scare the shit out of your constituents.

Then you revitalize a superficial economy by allocating debt that you can't be held accountable for and inflate your currency and take away healthcare. All for the sake of combating this threat across the globe. Then you seize assets and establish a large energy portfolio as well as a centralized banking system in these countries under the guise of bringing democracy to the "Third World"

Then you defund education and put Kellyanne Conway on CNN. This is the least eloquent administration in the history of government but the majority of constituents are too stupid to be angry.

Meanwhile, everyone gives a shit about Kim Kardashian and Kanye West. Distracted, stupid, unhealthy, and most of all:

Scared

You should look up the IRA before shitting out all that racist drivel from your mouth.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Scared

Whoa look everyone it's the human equivalent of a fart
What I can't shitpost?

Your thread is shit, it deserves shitposting

DJENT!!
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by gonzaw
Is that the plural or the gender neutral "they"?

Gender neutral

I wouldn't want "them" to be triggered or they might super 9/11 my building

DJENT!!
ಠ_ಠ
technically all human interaction is a social construct.

Your point?
There have been more people killed by white, rightwing religious fanatics in the last 10 years in the USA than there have been by Islamic terrorists. But I'm not seeing what you are getting at, Ali.

It's an interesting conundrum, until you realize that virtually all white terrorists in the USA are homegrown. There aren't Irish, English, French, German, etc other European nationalities coming over to the USA to kill people. Over here that is left, primarily, to the "God loving" rightwing "Christians". You know what Jesus said , "Lo, I say unto you...blow every motherfucker away who doesn't abjectly kiss your ass and agree 100% with your political predelictions". I think that was Tobus 3:16.
Last edited by TobusRex at Feb 9, 2017,
Quote by TobusRex
There have been more people killed by white, rightwing religious fanatics in the last 10 years in the USA than there have been by Islamic terrorists. But I'm not seeing what you are getting at, Ali.

Oh I wasn't making a point about race or religion, I'm being more broad than that. I'm getting at the notion that terrorism has become something individuals engage in beyond extreme alienation. It no longer arises under certain socioeconomic conditions because it's been established as a facet of global society.

I think there should be a distinction between someone who is indoctrinated through a religion or ideology by a group and then told they should sacrifice themselves and someone just up and decides to engage in a mass shooting because that's a thing that happens. Get what I mean? One of those is more traditionally a trait of 'terrorism', the other is new and sort of self-aware.

To make another analogy, it's the difference between buying a car and aviators because you desire its specs and want to shield your eyes from the sun and buying a car and aviators cuz they're part of a cultural myth.
Could the increase in lone wolf incidents be a result of technological advances?

I'd imagine someone willing to do a lot of harm might be more tempted to go ahead if it was as easy as walking into a mall and exploding, rather than, say, picking up a stick and running up to 12 guys, who are also all carrying sticks. Or riding your horse into a castle or something.
if biological sex can be I don't see why terrorism cant
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
if biological sex can be I don't see why terrorism cant

You mean gender*
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

wrong!
you must say the name!

radical islam!
Radical Islam!
RADICAL ISLAM!
Quote by Dreadnought
You mean gender*

naw they've moved on to biological sex now
Check out my band Disturbed
I mean once we transcend and become post-humans then they'll technically be right. Maybe this is a step in the right Omega point direction 👍
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Equate terrorism with serial killers, at least after they entered our cultural lexicon as an aspect of crime or civilization. I think terrorism is the new form of that.

I agree with this, here's a simple take on it.

back when your classic mass shooting was in vogue wasn't the "copy-cat" aspect considered a strong factor in many cases? Psycho kids get to go out in a blaze of glory with 24 hour news coverage world wide... now terrorism sells, so that's what the whackos are trending towards. Added to that the internet only makes it easier for the people starting to walk that path to pick up terrorist ideologies rather than flip out completely alone.
Quote by ultimate-slash
Could the increase in lone wolf incidents be a result of technological advances?

I'd say almost certainly

you are saying, in a nutshell, that terrorism is a sort of fad.

Certainly it isn't in the western world, at least not among non-rightwing extremists. The Middle East, yup. People seem willing to blow themselves up for almost no result. It doesn't do much for the rest of teh world's impression of the Middle East, to be honest. We, in the West, think the Muslims, with good reason, are a bunch of fucking whack jobs.

No offense meant by that Ali, and I urge you to be very careful in your postings. I've heard bad things about censorship on the Arabian peninsula in ALL those countries.
Personally I think we could solve this whole terrorism lark if we all got together and had a nice calm chat.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Page 1 of 3