Hi all,

I made a quick search and the most recent article asking for opinions about Edwards guitars is 5 years old. So I am posting this.

I own a LTD EC-256 (BLK) since one and a half years now. During this period, I improved my technique dramatically and now I feel the need to upgrade to something better. I am in love with ESP/LTD guitars, so for me the best option is to go for one of the Seymour Duncan equipped high end LTDs. Precisely, the EC1000FM Sunburst or the EC1000 Vintage Black, both equipped with SD JB + '59 pickups. I think for that price, you can't go wrong with these. I only heard good things about them.

I am going soon on a business trip to Japan (I live in Austria), so I was looking at the Edwards guitars. Are they similar or better than LTDs? Besides what can I get for the same price of the two previously mentioned LTDs? I saw that they have some gorgeous looking LP copies. Anybody here tried them or has a specific model to recommend? I will be in the center of Tokyo, any store or online store to recommend?

By the way, I play rock, blues and sometimes Metal in case you want to know.

Thanks in advance! \m/
You lucky dog.

I'd consider Edwards to be better than LTD.

There are a ton of great MIJ LP copies in Japan. Don't restrict yourself to just Edwards. Look at Tokai, Navigator, FGN, Greco, Orville, Bacchus and Burny as well.

I bought an FGN NCLC20 back in November.

Total monster.

You can get FGN's domestically that have the Gibson LP horn rather than the slightly sharper ESP-style one.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
without getting into the "better than ......" argument, let's focus on the important things.

you're going to japan. which means that LTD should not enter the conversation, are we good there? you will make a very quick judgement on quality when you're there.

ishibashi, ikebe, man there is no shortage of guitar shops that's for sure. Guitar Street in Ochanomizu, go there.

don't be hung up on just edwards, there's plenty to choose from. but they're a great choice and have made some ridiculously light weight les pauls in the past few years. bacchus, momose, tokai, burny, orville, FGN, etc. Ornettes! greco!

thanks for the pic harold.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Feb 9, 2017,
Wow thank you guys!

Came to the right place to ask my question. I Already marked this guitar street on my map. Looks like I'll be coming back with nice guitar. I am kind of worried about not being able to board it though. I traveled before with a guitar, but it is a very compact traveler guitar from the brand with the same name. But never traveled with a full sized guitar.

Anybody has experience with Nippon Airlines?

And please pardon my excitement but I have one more question: anybody knows how de-taxing works in Japan. Because I will be able to get some money back right?

Thanks for your answers in advance! \m/
+1 here for Ochanomizu... so. much. awesome!

Shibuya has a big ishibashi as well...

Tax free in Japan is easy... take your passport to the shop and they will do some paperwork that you sign and is placed in your passport to be checked at the airport...
Last edited by Genocyber666 at Feb 9, 2017,
Make sure you'll get the necessary paperwork and google 'CITES-II' regulations which had been updated in Jan 2017
Quote by paruwi
Make sure you'll get the necessary paperwork and google 'CITES-II' regulations which had been updated in Jan 2017

+1

The new regs are a big asspain and it's a lot safer to have the paperwork at hand should you ever be challenged. With the new regs having only recently been rolled out, its only natural that the authorities are going to be keen to rigidly enforce them.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by gregs1020
without getting into the "better than ......" argument, let's focus on the important things.

you're going to japan. which means that LTD should not enter the conversation, are we good there? you will make a very quick judgement on quality when you're there.

ishibashi, ikebe, man there is no shortage of guitar shops that's for sure. Guitar Street in Ochanomizu, go there.

don't be hung up on just edwards, there's plenty to choose from. but they're a great choice and have made some ridiculously light weight les pauls in the past few years. bacchus, momose, tokai, burny, orville, FGN, etc. Ornettes! greco!

thanks for the pic harold.

I need to add Momose, VG, History, PGM, and Seventy Seven.

Also, the Edwards LPC:

Hi all,

Thanks to all of you. I am now prepared!

Fingers crossed that I will not have any issues to take it as a carry-on luggage on my return trip!

Ippon that Edwards looks so damn sexy.

I will come back here and post some pictures once I get one!

Cheers! \m/
Quote by Darmanos
Hi all,

Thanks to all of you. I am now prepared!

Fingers crossed that I will not have any issues to take it as a carry-on luggage on my return trip!

Ippon that Edwards looks so damn sexy.

I will come back here and post some pictures once I get one!

Cheers! \m/

Worst case scenario, just get yourself a travel case while you're there and put it in the hold. Loosen the strings and put a towel around the neck. You'll be fine.
It is also worth noting that used US- and Japanese-made guitars may be cheaper than they would be in the US. Tym Guitars here in Oz used to base a good proportion of their business on importing used guitars from Japan, both US- and Japanese-made, because the Japanese didn't like buying used.
Quote by Ippon
I need to add Momose, VG, History, PGM, and Seventy Seven.

i'm not sure all of those did an open book headstock shape. never seen a seventy seven in an open book. pretty sure the others did though.
Quote by gregs1020
i'm not sure all of those did an open book headstock shape. never seen a seventy seven in an open book. pretty sure the others did though.

Close enough and slightly better than the chopped off, regular Epi headstock.

Hey guys!

Just got back from Tokyo. Ochanomizu is an amazing street. Thank you for the recommendation

I was surprised that I didn't see a single LTD or ESP, does anybody know why? I thought ESP was a big thing in Japan...

Here are some pictures from the street:

A see of US made Gibson Les Pauls!

There is an amazing selection of really fine used guitars. And after trying so many, I found a good deal so I decided to go for a used one.

I bought a one year old Edwards Les Paul with Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups! It weights about 3.7 Kilograms (8.15 pounds) and has a slim neck. The neck size is somewhere between my LTD EC-256 and the other FGN Neo Classic models I have tried which had a thick neck (Les Paul 50's neck I guess?)

I am not a fan of the factory relic on the guitar and the Antiquity pickups but that didn't stop me from buying it. I bought it for 69,000 JPY including the original ESP gig bag. It was being sold for 135,000 JPY new without taxes. So i think I made a good deal because the guitar is in good shape and especially, I really like the sound and the feel of it!!

Here are the pictures, judge by yourself.

EDIT: I will try to post in this thread some sound clip comparisons between my Edwards and my LTD EC-256..

When it comes to traveling back with the guitar, I have to say it was quite a frustrating experience. The All Nippon Airlines people seem to be very strict about luggage size. So here are a few tips if a hard travel case is not an option for you:

- Ask the guitar shop to wrap your guitar neck and other fragile parts in bubble paper (at least in Ochanomizu they were kind enough to propose it to me)
- Never let the crew take the guitar from you at luggage check-in
- If they decide to take the guitar from you at the gate, make sure they put a "Fragile" tag on it!
- If you had to give the guitar at the gate, try getting it back from the crew immediately after leaving the airplane (usually this is possible, just like with baby carts)
- Stay polite at all times. You don't want the people handling your precious instrument to be mad at you ()
- Book your seat at back of the airplane so that you can board before everyone and have enough space in the overhead compartment

I traveled with ANA airlines from Tokyo then with Austrian airlines. The Austrian Airlines crew were much cooler about it. One of them was even excited about the guitar!

Anyway I hope this helps! \m/
Last edited by Darmanos at Mar 5, 2017,
great write up, thanks for updating!

but some of the pics aren't showing up, only getting a error thing.

congrats on the edwards! you got one of the light ones, mine was 7.5 lbs, and the lightest solid lp i've ever held.
If I go to Japan I buy a Gibson Tak Matsumoto Firefird, I love this instrument