What is your budget? Willing to go used? How many inputs do you need? Are you literally just going to use this to record a single guitar track at a time?

A lot of people recommend this: https://uk.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i4

Never used this model myself but I have one of the other Focusrite interfaces and it's great.
Quote by alistairdunne1994
Still have no idea what to go for. Everyone gives different answers! haha

That is because there is very little difference in the ones of reasonable quality, it is almost impossible to hear the difference.
Mind you, the same thing happens when you get into the higher brackets of competitive preamps. Neve, SSL, Universal Audio... one person says "get this" and another person says "get that."

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Okay, so let me say this. Am I going to notice any actual difference between the £69 PreSonus AudioBox and the £110 Audient iD4. Essentially, is it worth the price gap?

Obviously the difference between the PreSonus and a UA would be huge, but I don't see the point in the extra £40 if I don't need to spend it.
Generally you choose a more expensive interface to get better A/D converters with lower latency and wider dynamic range. Most are perfectly acceptable for dipping your toe into DAW waters for the first time. Choose one with decent reviews and learn how to use the tool well.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I recommend not getting BIAS because it sounds bad.

They have different processing in them.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
What would you recommend instead of BIAS?

Revalver 4 or Amplitube 4 or Scuffham S-Gear.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I've never had good experience with the instrument-input on any $400 or less interface. Even the better ones still didn't compare to even cheaper DI boxes, headroom is terrible and they almost always kill the tone on the guitar.

If you're just doing guitar recording, I'd suggest investing in a good Radial DI box (preferably the J48 or Pro48) and something like a Scarlett Solo or Steinberg Ur22 that has decent mic preamps.
Quote by Cherry Vulpine
I've never had good experience with the instrument-input on any $400 or less interface. Even the better ones still didn't compare to even cheaper DI boxes, headroom is terrible and they almost always kill the tone on the guitar.

If you're just doing guitar recording, I'd suggest investing in a good Radial DI box (preferably the J48 or Pro48) and something like a Scarlett Solo or Steinberg Ur22 that has decent mic preamps.

How does a DI box work?
A DI box allows you to plug in an instrument level source (keyboard, bass, guitar) into one end and have it spit out a mic level signal at the output via XLR. It will also (usually) allow you to send an additional output signal at instrument level.

For instance, for recording, you would plug your guitar into the DI box input.
The XLR out would go to the recorder.
The 1/4" out would go to your amp, allowing you to play your guitar through your amp so you're not forced to monitor the clean, dry signal that you are recording.

Note that there are electronics inside a DI box, so it is NOT the same as getting a bunch of adapters and a Y cable.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
A DI box allows you to plug in an instrument level source (keyboard, bass, guitar) into one end and have it spit out a mic level signal at the output via XLR. It will also (usually) allow you to send an additional output signal at instrument level.

For instance, for recording, you would plug your guitar into the DI box input.
The XLR out would go to the recorder.
The 1/4" out would go to your amp, allowing you to play your guitar through your amp so you're not forced to monitor the clean, dry signal that you are recording.

Note that there are electronics inside a DI box, so it is NOT the same as getting a bunch of adapters and a Y cable.

CT

I don't have an amp in my apartment, so that's the reason I was looking at BIAS (or alternative) with an audio interface as an option.
I don't have an amp in my apartment, so that's the reason I was looking at BIAS (or alternative) with an audio interface as an option.
An amp is not needed, and you don't particulalry have to monitor the direct clean signal. Assuming you can run your buffer size low enough (256 or lower) than you can monitor from your plugin like BIAS.

The DI box will just give you a better sounding signal going into the computer, which definately translates better even through distortion.. Instrument-inputs on $400 or less interfaces are usually trash, speaking from personal experience. The mic pre is the focus on these boxes, and the DI box does the inst-to-mic level conversion before hitting the mic preamp of the interface.

EDIT: To be more clear, rather than just a recording interface alone, you would want a DI box AND an interface to give you the ideal tone. An interface alone would work, but sound rather poor.
Last edited by Cherry Vulpine at Feb 17, 2017,
Or consider recording direct through the JamUP app on an iPad or something. I love it.

CT