Hi guys!
Id like to know youe thougts about this 2 amps.

Am sellin my laney irt studio to get one of thid 2 babes...
Used mini rectifier for 850 usd aprox of mark v 25 for 1350 usd aprox...

So what are the advantages of getting the mark v 25 over the mini rec?

Is it really worthy the investment? Or should I get the mini instead?
So far i like thar mark v has eq, fan and reverb.. I dont know about cabclone or how does it work, im asuming you need an audio interface to use it... But is a plus...

So what do you guys think?

Im mmostly interested on a metal and progressive sound (intervals, plini, periphery)

Thanks for you help!
I got in a Laney IRT-Studio last week and I have a Mesa Dual Rec Roadster.

What are you looking to get out of the Mesa that you can't out of the Laney? That will help steer you a bit.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Well, from the laney... I feel week the distortion, even using a maxon od808 in front of it... I feel the sound lacks something... I dont know... And the eq on the laney i dont thing it does great things... I feel eq controla week also... How does yours perform?
I have heard samplws feom other guys on internet using the usb recording but i never get to sound thar good with mine...
I don't recall that I have heard anyone complain about the gain from the IRT. Maybe you are expecting a better low end or more pronounced low end to make the distortion sound thicker?

OT: I think you need to determine what sound you are after as the Mark and Rec series are different sounds, tonally speaking.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Im more focused to progressive metal...
Can you share some eq settings for a good metal tone on the laney so I Can test, record it and show it to you?
carpercen

Well lack of gain is not a complaint from me. If anything, the IRT has too much gain to be overly versatile (versatile is relative though - my other amp is a Mesa Roadster)!!!

I'm still in the honeymoon phase with my IRT but it does modern metal really well and easily. It can get tight, dry, and gainy easily. I'm having more of an issue setting it up for a crunchier looser type of tone.

How old are your tubes? What types of tubes are you running?

Are you using the headphone out or a speaker cab? What type?

I have to keep the treble around -2 or so and the tone around 3.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Try these settings:

15W, Rhythm Channel, Gain around 7ish, Bass Pulled at +1.5, Middle at -2ish, Treble at -1.75ish, Dynamics at 9 o'clock, Tone at +3ish, Reverb at 2, Volume at 5.

I was using an EMG 81 in the bridge and using the headphone out on the amp with some Audio Technica ATH-M50X.

This amp definitely has it's own voicing. It sounds more like German high gain to me compared to my Mesa.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
metalmingee

I use it with a Laney cab, the 212 model with v30.
I bougth the amp september of 2015... Havent chamged the tubes since then... But i never felt the distortion specially agressive... Everything changed when I bought my maxon but still i haven find the right tone...
The Laney honestly might be better for those sounds. The Mark is awesome, as is the Mini Rec, but neither would be better for the sounds you're looking for than the Laney I'd think.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
The way you describe it, it seems to be a case for a Mini Recto

I'm very familiar with both amps, almost bought a Mark but went with Mini Recto, now will probably buy Mark V as well but for live work but keep the Mini Recto for recording. I am also a producer so I need a lot of sounds so an extra amp is not a bad thing

If you're looking for a chunkier, more aggressive style the Recto, the Mark V is a bit more rounded...it could possibly do that sound with more tweaking, overdrive possibly. Just try them both and decide.
diabolical
Thats the problem... Unfortunately theres nowhere near my city to test any of these amps... Im relying only on yt videos... So i wanted to hear others opinion..

So you saying the recto sounds better? I mean, does the mark v lacks agression? Will palm mutes sound weaker on the mini mark? Or what do you mean when you say mini mark is more rounded?
carpercen

I use the closed back 212 of my Roadster which has Mesa V30s. Maybe you just don't like the voicing of the Laney?

Anyway you can try out the Modern mode on any Rectifier to see if that is more of what you are looking for?

I have some JJ 12ax7 laying around that I want to drop into the Laney to see if that makes any difference. Mine came with a TAD in v1 and Rubys in v2 and v3.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
But over all.. Wich one would be better? Which is the most versatil an can give better sounds?

Thanks
Quote by carpercen
dementiacaptain
Interesting... Mmm
Why is that?

When I think of the music you mentioned (I am a fan), I think tight, percussive, and compressed. The IRT matches that profile closer than either of the Mesas.

The Mark V, while being one of my favorite amps, is not very "percussive" to me. It is smooth, and in general a great amp for awesome sounding lead licks.

The Rec, while compressed, is not what I would call "tight." It has a very big low end, which can be tamed some with a Tubescreamer, but it is always going to sound like what it is, a raucous balls-to-the-walls amp.

You may not find these observations to hold true for you when you play these amps. Either would be an excellent amp and will work for what you want. My point was that they may not work any better than what you have.

FWIW, I love both Mesas.
Both are fantastic amps. Both are darker sounding amps.

The Mark is tighter and more "vintage" sounding. More smooth and refined voicing, maybe a little short on gain on some instances. 5 channel eq which could help refine tone further.

The recto has a throaty roar that is by some perceived as too much unless you're into thrash and other aggressive genres. The vintage mode is my favorite, enough gain on tap, smooth lead voicing, but a bit scratchier. The modern voicing is maybe a touch too buzzy for my taste.

Listen to youtube vids. The Mark V is essentially John Petrucci's sound.
Quote by diabolical
Both are fantastic amps. Both are darker sounding amps.

The Mark is tighter and more "vintage" sounding. More smooth and refined voicing, maybe a little short on gain on some instances. 5 channel eq which could help refine tone further.

The recto has a throaty roar that is by some perceived as too much unless you're into thrash and other aggressive genres. The vintage mode is my favorite, enough gain on tap, smooth lead voicing, but a bit scratchier. The modern voicing is maybe a touch too buzzy for my taste.

Listen to youtube vids. The Mark V is essentially John Petrucci's sound.

Can you even call the Mark "vintage" sounding though? I think I get what you're saying, but really it is so much its own thing that I don't know if you could lump it in a general category like that.
Oh yeah the TC... I bet its got more oomph than the IRT though. The Triple Crown might be something you want to look at TS
Can consider the 5150lbx as well.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by carpercen
But over all.. Wich one would be better? Which is the most versatil an can give better sounds?

Thanks

There is no "better". Both are great amps with different voices. The Mark tends to have smoother, creamier OD while still plenty of gain on tap (Petrucci, Di Meola, Andy Timmons). The Rect tends to be more modern, edgy, and in your face. Pick your poison.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Good lord... Id give my right hand to be able to try this amps... Well ive heard clips of both on youtube, both sound great, but wanted to know which offers more... Somewhere I read that I could make the mark sound like the rect, but i wouldnt be able to make the rect sound like the mark...

Btw you are making me doubt about selling the IRT now guys! Hearing such good things about it! Maybe im just an idiot at eqing... Dont know... I tested the settings metalmingee posted and sounds good... Still without an od distortions doesnt sound really percusive, especially noticeable when palm muting
Both the Mesa amps have a distinctive American voice while the IRT is much more Brit voiced. Think about who your favorite guitar influences are and what do they use. If mostly Marshall, Orange, Laney, maybe the IRT is the right tool.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
carpercen

Try a little more bass or a little more Middle (I like it below 0). Keep the highs down on this amp. You have to EQ it with your ears. When I unboxed it I assumed a Marshall / Peavey EQ and I was pretty disgusted with how this amp sounded.

Did some quick Googling and found that Laney's EQ is completely unique and not at all Marshall / Peavey like. So the memories of my Roadster came flooding back and you just EQ with your ears. Never mind what the dials say as long as it sounds good.

Try turning the Dynamic up and that should loosen it up.

Use the 15W setting and keep the Master below 6. Pushing those power tubes loosens it up in a hurry.

You're also about a year and half on the power tubes. I'd retube the entire thing since there are only 3 preamp tubes. If you are in the USA and order from Eurotubes tell them that you want maximum headroom in the power tubes to try and keep it tight and squeak another db out of it.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Yeah, don't know if I can sneak a Mark in the house right now!
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Quote by carpercen
Good lord... Id give my right hand to be able to try this amps... Well ive heard clips of both on youtube, both sound great, but wanted to know which offers more... Somewhere I read that I could make the mark sound like the rect, but i wouldnt be able to make the rect sound like the mark...

Btw you are making me doubt about selling the IRT now guys! Hearing such good things about it! Maybe im just an idiot at eqing... Dont know... I tested the settings metalmingee posted and sounds good... Still without an od distortions doesnt sound really percusive, especially noticeable when palm muting

I have the Mark V 25 and tried the mini rectifier at the same time. I played both through a Mesa vertical 2x12 cab with V30's (which I also have). A couple of points, they are both great amps and the descriptions above are accurate. While I wouldn't call the mark "vintage", I think they have described the differences well. I would add that the rectifier has a looser bottom end.

I don't subscribe to the idea that you can make one sound like the other, sure with an EQ and some tweaking, they can sound similar, but they do have unique qualities. The reverb on the mark is ok, not great. I certainly wouldn't choose the mark on that alone. Also, IMO, the mark sounds much fuller and deeper in the 25w mode, so much so, that I don't use the 10w mode. The mark has more gain then the rectifier and the mark can generate all the gain at bedroom quiet levels, if that matters to you. The rectifier needs to be opened up a little for similar gain.

The mark is definitely more versatile but some think it takes a little more effort to dial in, where the rectifier is more plug and play. Hope this helps .
Quote by MAChiefs
I have the Mark V 25 and tried the mini rectifier at the same time. I played both through a Mesa vertical 2x12 cab with V30's (which I also have). A couple of points, they are both great amps and the descriptions above are accurate. While I wouldn't call the mark "vintage", I think they have described the differences well. I would add that the rectifier has a looser bottom end.

I don't subscribe to the idea that you can make one sound like the other, sure with an EQ and some tweaking, they can sound similar, but they do have unique qualities. The reverb on the mark is ok, not great. I certainly wouldn't choose the mark on that alone. Also, IMO, the mark sounds much fuller and deeper in the 25w mode, so much so, that I don't use the 10w mode. The mark has more gain then the rectifier and the mark can generate all the gain at bedroom quiet levels, if that matters to you. The rectifier needs to be opened up a little for similar gain.

The mark is definitely more versatile but some think it takes a little more effort to dial in, where the rectifier is more plug and play. Hope this helps .

Im in love with your answer bro!

One more question... Someone here said that mark is more for fluid lead licks... Whats does that mean? No good for rhythm or palm muting riffs?

And what you say about headroom bedroom levels, do you think o can play it at home on 25w mode without annoying anyone?

I play lanet on 15w no higer than 5 on volume!
Mesa Mini Recto has a lot more gain on tap from the preamp at low levels, don't agree with that statement.
Both amps can't be super quiet, but compared to your Laney maybe they can achieve that at slightly lower volumes.

The Mark seems to get a little muddier when you pump more gain, so maybe it'll have to be dialed a little drier.
Listen to Petrucci Rig Walkthrough from Premier guitar, that'll give an idea.

Finally - just listen to enough demos, it is all there on YouTube.
Quote by carpercen
Im in love with your answer bro!

One more question... Someone here said that mark is more for fluid lead licks... Whats does that mean? No good for rhythm or palm muting riffs?

And what you say about headroom bedroom levels, do you think o can play it at home on 25w mode without annoying anyone?

I play lanet on 15w no higer than 5 on volume!

The mark is fantastic for rhythm and muted riffs, so is the rectifier, they just have a different tones. I play a little of everything but mostly metal. I grew up with Ozzy, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, early Metallica, etc, and the mark is perfect for heavy, deep metal riffs. I never play in drop tunings, therefore, there are others who can give you a better idea of replicating the more modern metal bands. I would expect between the Mk IIC+, Mk IV, and Extreme settings on the amp, you should be able to replicate a lot of metal tones.

The reason people love the mark series, is that if you dial back the presence, you can get a screaming smooth lead tone. It is great, but you can get a great lead tone from the rectifier and other amps.

And, yes, you can play the mark with serious gain at whisper quiet levels, even on 25w mode. Keep in mind, there is not a huge difference in volume between 10 and 25 watts, both are extremely loud. When you play at bedroom volumes, the master will be barely on but the gain is there. Keep in mind that you are not opening up the amp, therefore, when I play at very low volumes, I will add a clean DB boost pedal (like a TC Spark or Xotic EP Booster pedal), which will increase the volume, so you will have to turn down the amp even more, but it will give you a fuller gain sound. I am not joking, the difference between no volume and this level is like 1 millimeter.

When I tried the rectifier at this low of a setting, you can still crank the gain but It doesn't have that same deep full heavy tone, a boost or overdrive may help it. In general, at lower volume levels even above whisper quiet, I thought the mark was much better than the rectifier. I really thought the rectifier sounded best when opened up, and as described above, will roar, and is fun as hell to play. The rectifier is not nearly as versatile as the mark, but has a more organic more open tone.

If you read the comparisons on the Mesa forum http://forum.grailtone.com you will notice that it is almost 50% - 50%, there isn't a right answer. The biggest complaint on the mark is that you have to understand the amp and it can be more difficult to dial in the tone you are looking for. For example, the treble settings will influence the amount of gain. You can read the manual or simply try the many settings on the internet and tweak from there.

Lastly, depending on where you are located, you should be able to find the mark in the US around $1,100 used in great condition, I have seen them as low as $950 on Reverb, but with the price increase last year, they have been in the $1,100 a $1,200 range more recently.
Thanks guys, and sry for the late answer, ive been ill.
Im really diging the minimark v... Looks so sweet...!