My budget is under $800 with a case. I am currently looking at the Seagull Maritime SWS Acoustic electric guitar and the Martin DRS1 Road Series Acoustic Electric guitar. Which one is better? What other guitar is good at this price? I don't like to sing and I like musics like and castle in the sky stuff.
LionStaR

The "C" in Taylor's model number indicates "cutaway". A large portion of Taylor's "Mexi-Taylor" series, (1xx & 2xx), ship with electronics.(That's the "E"). Taylor, unlike many makers who offer electronics & cutaway together, (sometimes even a solid top in the case of Epiphone), as the step up option, charges about $100.00 for the cutaway alone.

In answer to your original question, it's not a question or knowing a good acoustic OR a good acoustic electric. Many GOOD guitars are available in both configurations.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 10, 2017,
Yamaha has some nice guitars in that price range. I believe that the AC3R is one of them. Solid wood top also if that is what you are looking for. The Taylors are nice no doubt but I don't think that the 110 has a solid top. It's all about personal preference though. Best thing to do is play a lot of them and see which feels and sounds the best to you.
Quote by Tony Done
Finley13

The 110 is solid top, laminated b&s, but as you say, you have to trust your ears.

Thanks for correcting me. For some reason it has always been my belief that they were all laminate. Good to know.
Finley13

The 100 and 200 series Taylors are MiM, and solid top, laminated b&s, are as the Baby, Big Baby and GS Mini. My favourite guitar for fingerpicking, the best I have ever played, is an all-laminate Maton that looks like a piece of damp cardboard, so such things don't bother me a lot.
Tony Done

Interesting Tony, I have not played many expensive ones, but have listened to other playing quite a few. I think you have to play them a while before you decide if you like them - I would never buy one I hadn't played and listened to it. I think this applies to all makes.
PSimonR

Yes, buying acoustics untried is a very chancy business, because every guitar is different, especially in makes like Martin. There is also the problem that a guitar's sound can change a lot from new, and it might not be for the better - this is what happened to me with a Martin J-40. The ageing thing, which can include changes in both tone and geometry, is the reason I prefer old, well used acoustics. - I know pretty well what I'm getting.
Quote by LionStaR
My budget is under $800 with a case. I am currently looking at the Seagull Maritime SWS Acoustic electric guitar and the Martin DRS1 Road Series Acoustic Electric guitar. . . . .

I would recommend that you investigate makes like: Cort, Crafter, Faith, LAG, Tanglewood, Vintage, Yamaha.
Get your hands on both and decide which you like best. I have been playing a Seagull S6+ for 15 years now and she is still a sweetie. I have played some entry level Martins that surprised me as well. My daughter has a Maritime and it is well suited for fingerstyle. Breedlove is another one in your price range worth a look.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Get your hands on both and decide which you like best. I have been playing a Seagull S6+ for 15 years now and she is still a sweetie. .
Which brings us back to a point I tried to make earlier. The S-6 "Original" is made in acoustic only and A/E format. In this case Seagull's "Q1" electronics are a step up option, but no cutaway is added (subtracted perhaps ?) from the guitar. Which makes the choice of electronics or not, purely based on intended use of the instrument, with what I'm sure would be no audible difference between options.