So I haven't owned a bass in years and have been itching to pick one up again... was browsing my local craigslist and saw an ad for a Stiletto Custom 5 for $250... I see that it's a $600+ bass... any thoughts on it? Should I go nab it up?
Last edited by kaossurge at Feb 10, 2017,
Ive never played one, so can't comment on that. Price is about right, assuming its in good shape. If you've got the itch, make a reasonable cash offer. Good luck and have fun! Post some pics if you grab it up.
Good bass, but I'm not crazy about the pickups. Some of the Studio basses can be pretty heavy, though. Keep that in mind.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
i was gonna say, for $250 that's a worthwhile investment. any more and i'd pass. especially not new on a schecter, they lose their value by half as soon as you open the box, even worse than most instruments. they're okay, but there are better options out there for the price if you shop around

ideally, until you're very well versed in a brand and are in a high level price range where you know their QC is reliable, you shouldn't buy online. instruments of the same model can very incredibly in tone, feel, and general playability. some of those things are subjective, some are objective, but in general you should try every instrument you buy under $1000 - like, that instrument, not that model. i've played $50 pawn shop guitars that play like MIA strats after a set-up, and I've played $2k+ basses that i just hated the feel of.
modes are a social construct
Quote by Hail
i was gonna say, for $250 that's a worthwhile investment. any more and i'd pass. especially not new on a schecter, they lose their value by half as soon as you open the box, even worse than most instruments. they're okay, but there are better options out there for the price if you shop around

ideally, until you're very well versed in a brand and are in a high level price range where you know their QC is reliable, you shouldn't buy online. instruments of the same model can very incredibly in tone, feel, and general playability. some of those things are subjective, some are objective, but in general you should try every instrument you buy under $1000 - like, that instrument, not that model. i've played $50 pawn shop guitars that play like MIA strats after a set-up, and I've played $2k+ basses that i just hated the feel of.

Any reason why the value drops on the schecters? All the reviews on the bass are good. I also own a Hellraiser which I really like.

I agree on playing in store, unfortunately my local sam ash didn't have this in stock, they could only order it for me... I was able to get a new one online for $430, which is $200 off what I would pay at sam ash or guitar center... Seemed like the best value at $430.
Quote by kaossurge
Any reason why the value drops on the schecters? All the reviews on the bass are good. I also own a Hellraiser which I really like.

there's just not much of a market for them. note that most mid-level guitars and basses drop in value as soon as you open the box, schecter just has a bit more of an edge because it's a smaller brand, the instruments (iirc) are made in korea, and (especially in their guitars) they've got a very generic sort of tone that's usually really good at just one thing.

not to take anything away from schecter, their instruments are definitely serviceable and there's nothing wrong with them, but like i said, there are better/more versatile options on the market. once i got out of my "whoa a guitar shaped like a V!" phase, i never really found myself being stoked about anything schecter-related.
I love the way Schecter styles their guitars and basses. I don't think I've ever picked one up and liked the way it felt in my hands, but it has been many years since I've played one.
Quote by Hail
there's just not much of a market for them. note that most mid-level guitars and basses drop in value as soon as you open the box, schecter just has a bit more of an edge because it's a smaller brand, the instruments (iirc) are made in korea, and (especially in their guitars) they've got a very generic sort of tone that's usually really good at just one thing.

not to take anything away from schecter, their instruments are definitely serviceable and there's nothing wrong with them, but like i said, there are better/more versatile options on the market. once i got out of my "whoa a guitar shaped like a V!" phase, i never really found myself being stoked about anything schecter-related.

Interesting... I actually hate V shaped guitars... but I do own a Schecter guitar which I really like, I was thinking if I liked the Stiletto as well I'd look into picking up the Diamond-J (Schecter's Jazz Bass)

If the resale is so bad maybe I can get one cheap...
Quote by kaossurge
Interesting... I actually hate V shaped guitars... but I do own a Schecter guitar which I really like, I was thinking if I liked the Stiletto as well I'd look into picking up the Diamond-J (Schecter's Jazz Bass)

If the resale is so bad maybe I can get one cheap...

yeah it's a different strokes kinda thing for sure, they're solidly built instruments. their resale value being trash is a positive as long as you're not buying new. i love trace elliot, but their resale value is trash, so i scooped some solid combo amps for like $200 each.