I put 2 songs in my music website: "What's The Matter?" (part guitar & part synths) is the song on top, and "An Opportunity For You" (guitar oriented, I'm guessing you'll like this one better) is the next one down. Please tell me how you like the music and how it can be improved, and I will return the favor (I promise!). Here is the link:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=224436
aaron aardvark
Great music with some powerful guitars and interesting vocals. I like the psychedelic feel of it. There are several things that could be done to deliver a better quality in my opinion. In "What's The Matter?" I feel like drums line needs to be tighter in terms of performance. "An Opportunity For You" needs def AMP and MIC recorded guitars. Did you use processor or line in guitar recording with plugins? I ve done some guitar records and only time I did better was using mics and overdriven amps. What you really did well is actually to deliver a great emotional message in both songs! I hope it is helpful.
As always, your tracks are killer man. I cant say much about the technical recording bit - it sounded good to me. Are you using tube amps? I felt that the lead tones were a bit digital, but thats about it.

Overall, a very nice vibe and some tight playing. The drums / bassline in the second track, while nice, can add more to the mood - esp near the ending.

Check out mine: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1724594#2
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

aaron aardvark

Listening to Opportunity right now, only thing that really pops out, I had this issue too, dynamics (kinda stuck at one volume ya know, so like, at the chorus when it gets loud, try to make the drums loud too) and eq on the drums. Eq on guitar, too. Long story short, it kinda sound like the guitar and drums are trying to play over each other in the endless battle of volumes, which I know is a b**** to fix, but the melody is there. I think if you boost up the bass it may help actually. The song itself though is great, really like it. The vox is nice and psychedelic which is always cool.

Ok, now for What's the Matter. It's got a cool mix of 80's and modern, ya know. Maybe boost up the drums a bit. Vox on here is Cars reminiscent which was nice. I would try to give the bass more meat if you get my gist, but it may add to the song if it's kept the way it is. Harmonica was cool. Actually listening again, the bass seems fine, maybe it's the synth that I was hearing. neat tones though. Thoroughly enjoyed.

Can you review my song, just pumped it out. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1724656

Thanks!
gromoff, hitman_47, dabdabtheduck,
Thank you for listening and commenting, I appreciate it! All of the guitars have Roland COSM or Line 6 PodXT amp modeling.
Hey aaron, cool tracks, you nail the old school vibe and sound, instrumentally I do like the tracks, but I never listened to this type of music so I'm not a big fan of the vocals, I don't mean your singing, you sound like you can sing, but it's the layering and fx of the vocals that I can't seem to get into, sometimes they sound too loud with all the layers, obviously from all the tracks I've heard from you it seems like this is your personal style but in my opionion, having heard your voice I think I would be cool if you tried a simpler, more melodic approach while keeping the old school sound.

Good job and keep rocking!
Whats the matter - I love the effects you chose for the guitars. the lead parts really send you into space! There was a part starting around a minute ten that took a second listen to make sense to me. But what often I find is the case with your tunes is they end abruptly and feels like were only hearing a sample of the song. This one especially feels like it easily could be 5+ minutes in length.

An Opportunity For You - catchy as hell bass guitar. I'm hearing little complementing parts by the guitars adding to the vocal melody that to me really show some great thought and attention to detail went into this song.

You really seem to know how to create a wide space for all the sounds being used.
Quote by lol2theworld
I was about to diss kornflipsk8er, but then i realized hes an 03er and im an 09er.
I am inferior to him.

Quote by metalh3ad88
I am fairly certain that kornflipsk8er is GOD!!!11!!!!1!!
Hey, thanks for the crit!

What's the matter
Nice 80's vibe to this one. The vocals are a bit strange, but I do think they fit this song quite well. Cool effects on the guitar. Like the part at 0:58, although the drums feels a bit off after a while. Nice harmonica solo. Haha, love the divebomb. Straight out the 80's Cool guitar solo. It's all over the place! The drums at 2:20 sounds a bit off too. Cool synthezier in the outro.

An Opportunity For You
Cool bass in the intro. The guitars sounds also quite 80's inspired here too, with the divebombs. Not that big fan of the vocals here though. Like the clean guitar solo at 1:25. Nice job!
Hey aaron, overall the production is really smooth. The guitar, bass, and drums all fit together nicely. I really enjoyed the solo in "What's The Matter," nice one! My only negative would be that I didn't like the snare in "An Opportunity For You." I don't think it fit with the rest of the kit, I don't know if it was a different sample or just mixed differently, but I very much prefer the snare in the first song. Other than that it was great.
aaron aardvark

Hello Aardvark,
Thanks for commenting on my track.

I checked out An Opportunity for You.

As always your recording and production are very professional sounding. For my taste I think the delay and reverb on the vocals is a little to prominent and takes up too much of the sonic real estate in the track - but I guess this is more a matter of opinion than anything else. The guitar parts are simple but effective and sound good.

Nice work.

And savage news about the hernia surgery - hopefully you'll be all good now and keep them guts in their rightful position!
I checked out the songs, really enjoy your vocals! Never heard any of your songs before as I'm a new user/contributor. Who are some of your influences? Your mixing and production is really on point. For an Opportunity for You what vocal effects were you using? Really unique sounding.

Also what DAW are you using?

Here's the link to my post, give mine a review as well when you can. Thanks!

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1728320
VStratto Music, Kornflipsk8er, mrmo, BlackFalcon17, RabidBadger, and ShoeGazeBand,
Thank you for listening and commenting, I appreciate it! "An Opportunity For You" was recorded on a Roland VS-880 hard disc recorder, so all of the effects came from the built in VS8F-1 effects unit. More than likely, I had stereo delay and a bit of chorus effects on the vocals. On "What's The Matter?" I used Cubase as my DAW, which is what I use as of lately. I have a ton of influences, but here are a few: David Bowie, New Order, Depeche Mode, Van Halen, Dick Dale, and the Cure.
Quote by aaron aardvark
VStratto Music, Kornflipsk8er, mrmo, BlackFalcon17, RabidBadger, and ShoeGazeBand,
Thank you for listening and commenting, I appreciate it! "An Opportunity For You" was recorded on a Roland VS-880 hard disc recorder, so all of the effects came from the built in VS8F-1 effects unit. More than likely, I had stereo delay and a bit of chorus effects on the vocals. On "What's The Matter?" I used Cubase as my DAW, which is what I use as of lately. I have a ton of influences, but here are a few: David Bowie, New Order, Depeche Mode, Van Halen, Dick Dale, and the Cure.

aaron aardvark

Dude, your influences are on point. The David Bowie influence totally makes makes sense vocal wise, your vocals really stand out dig it a lot. You know what, your singing really reminds me of this band called Preoccupations that I like, most bands I listen to aren't too popular, mostly underground indie bands, but I think you'd particularly dig this band give them a listen man.

Ohh, and if you dig The Cure and Joy Division you'll probably LOVE the hell out of this band. They are fairly new, released their sophmore album last year, but they are by far my FAVORITE band of all time, this song is amazing. I've seen them live more times than I can count, they are simply fucking raw and the moshing is fire, they are always playing dirty little venues around Echo Park but popularity in the underground scene is picking up for them big time. Probably the most popular newest shoegaze band right now, check out both their albums 'Oshin' and 'Is The Is Are', every song is perfection.

Last edited by ShoeGazeBand at Mar 4, 2017,
ShoeGazeBand,
Thank you for sharing the video clips! Some cool songs. The first one reminds me of a cross between the Cure, Bowie, The The, and some other bands. On the second video, instrumentally they remind me of the Cure/Flock of Seagulls. Vocally, they probably remind me of Stone Roses, and a bit like Flock of Seagulls. In the video, he is assembling a model of a Curtiss P-40 fighter plane. In my previous job, I helped design some mechanical equipment to help assemble the wings for the Boeing 737. They cranking out about 42 of these planes a month (roughly $100 million per plane). At times you can see some of the equipment I designed in this video: