Poll: What do you think
Poll Options
View poll results: What do you think
Yes - Call them up on it
14 56%
No - Gotta eat when you gotta eat
11 44%
Voters: 25.
A person in the workplace has recently taken to eating on the phone whilst talking to clients. Not all clients, specific ones they are friendly with, but still, paying clients. Granted it is around lunch time, so should people expect this on the phone.

Am I wrong to think this is just about the worst thing you can do on the phone in a professional environment? Should I just leave it until complaints? or bring it up now?

Should I trust a bunch of 14 year old kids on a guitar forum to help me?

Are there hot girls in my neighborhood waiting to fuck?

If anyone has any examples of worse office etiquette, let me know, it's story time.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Yes, there are hot girls in your neighbourhood waiting to fuck.

Just not waiting to fuck you.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
yeah it's rude and disgusting
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
( )_( ) signature to help him gain World Domination

Do you remember chalk hearts melting on a playground wall
Do you remember dawn escapes from moon washed college halls
Do you remember the cherry blossom in the market square
Do you remember I thought it was confetti in our hair
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Yes, there are hot girls in your neighbourhood waiting to fuck.

Just not waiting to fuck you.

Come on buddy, I've been posting on an internet forum for 13+ years, I'm aware no one is waiting for me in particular.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

Quote by cliff_em_all
Come on buddy, I've been posting on an internet forum for 13+ years, I'm aware no one is waiting for me in particular.
You don't have to have been posting for 13+ years for that to be the case.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Yeah that's just gross, seriously it takes 15 mins to eat lunch at a moderate pace, that person really can't wait 15 minutes before talking to them on the phone? What the buck, what THE buck, what the BUCK
I personally don't understand people that feel the need to work through lunch. Even if it's only 15 - 30 minutes, if you don't physically have the time to take a short break and eat food then that's poor time management imo. You'd be far more productive in the afternoon if you took a short break.

I say this in relation to the average desk job, obviously there are some exceptions - like doctors and whatnot.
Quote by cliff_em_all

Am I wrong to think this is just about the worst thing you can do on the phone in a professional environment?
not really

Should I just leave it until complaints? or bring it up now?
depends. if they are you are senior to them, tell them off. if you are not senior, let it go unless it is seriously affecting client satisfaction

Should I trust a bunch of 14 year old kids on a guitar forum to help me?
there are no 14 year olds left here. it's all mid twenties people who are too stubborn to bail from the place they have been on since their teens

Are there hot girls in my neighborhood waiting to fuck?
if you're in a well populated neighboorhood, then very likely. if you are in the middle of nowhere, then probably not.

If anyone has any examples of worse office etiquette, let me know, it's story time.
I do but i cba remembering details.

I eat at my desk often and take calls (never make them) still but stop eating when i'm on the phone. I would go to the kitchen area we have to eat but it's an actual windowless room, we have got a tv and couch in there but I can't really chill on a break if I can't see the sky. I have a little office with a door so I can kinda chill in peace at lunch though I have a big window looking out, so everyone can see what I'm doing (could pull the blinds but that is kinda jerk-mode imo). There's also a large canteen to eat at but that is a like a 10 minute walk through a bunch of buildings an I cba sitting in restaurants/cafes any more even though I usually get my lunch at such places.

Quote by matt bickerton
I personally don't understand people that feel the need to work through lunch. Even if it's only 15 - 30 minutes, if you don't physically have the time to take a short break and eat food then that's poor time management imo. You'd be far more productive in the afternoon if you took a short break.

I say this in relation to the average desk job, obviously there are some exceptions - like doctors and whatnot.

I spend a lot of my day procrastinating on websites like UG so when it comes to lunch I don't really feel I needed to have a proper break from everything, just taking 10 mins to go buy some food is enough. When I had jobs in the past where I was working non-stop (eg data entry stuff compared to the management stuff I do now) I would make a point to gtfo the room for 30 mins and eat somewhere away from everyone while reading a newspaper or book to kinda forget about work stuff for a while.

eating my lunch now (got a huge burger) and it has been one of the odd days where I am taking an actual break for once just because I've spent all the morning in meetings.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by theguitarist
not really

depends. if they are you are senior to them, tell them off. if you are not senior, let it go unless it is seriously affecting client satisfaction

Not senior, but different departments. I'm probably above in the scale, but on paper we would be equals (with me getting paid more).

Quote by theguitarist
there are no 14 year olds left here. it's all mid twenties people who are too stubborn to bail from the place they have been on since their teens

Oh wow this hit home
Quote by ZanasCross

Impolite, for sure.

Also the noises you make while eating can get amplified over a speakerphone or a headset. So he might think he's being subtle about it but on the other side it sounds like a pig digging into a through
I can definitely see it from both sides, as someone with clients in different time zones who have a bad habit of scheduling calls the morning of, during lunch time here.

It is definitely rude to eat on the phone, but if it is a conference call, just mute the phone in-between talking and you are golden. I mean, I might speak about 1/4 or less of the actual call most times, so this works fine for me.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Sounds like a whole bunch of mind your fucking business cause you aren't getting fired for it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Well... they could be masturbating while talking on the phone with clients. So, you know... would ya rather hear chewing or fapping?
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
I think it totally depends. I personally wouldn't do it with most of the company relationships I manage but there are one or two who I have a more informal working relationship with where I really wouldn't feel too odd about it.
Gibson SG 2016 1960's Tribute
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Marshall DSL100H
Marshall 1960B 4x12
ProCo Rat 2
It's only rude if they notice.

Anyway the worst thing you can do is have a conversation with someone else while you're in the middle of a phone conversation. Drop ppl who do that shit
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
As long as the customers don't know he's eating, then i don't see a problem.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

I don't personally eat on the phone or when I'm using a headset for gaming or anything. I think it's pretty rude to chew and make other nasty digestion sounds in front of people willingly.

That said, it doesn't become a business issue until people complain about it. If someone does a survey and comments that he chowed through a can of Pringles while helping them turn their router off and on again, then it's an issue, and your management will deal with it.

Now, if you are management, that's a different story. Deal with it.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
i mean, if i were on the phone with someone and it was purely professional, i don't think i'd want to hear them smacking their food around and shit.

only exception is if they haven't eaten all day and it's just a little snack before lunch, which i wouldn't know anyway if i were on te other side of the convo

but, in general, it's kind of rude and shows carelessness, like the customer is not top priority (unless you can't tell they're eating, but you probably can)
Quote by eGraham
I don't personally eat on the phone or when I'm using a headset for gaming or anything. I think it's pretty rude to chew and make other nasty digestion sounds in front of people willingly.

That said, it doesn't become a business issue until people complain about it. If someone does a survey and comments that he chowed through a can of Pringles while helping them turn their router off and on again, then it's an issue, and your management will deal with it.

Now, if you are management, that's a different story. Deal with it.

this is the realest answer youll get cliff
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Depends on the relationship with the client etc.

No. Never okay and always bad manners, but particularly so in a business environment.
Good way to get fired.
Hell, I talk on the phone when taking a shit, sometimes. If I don't care what the person on the other end thinks, I'll flush it before hanging up
Quote by TobusRex
Hell, I talk on the phone when taking a shit, sometimes. If I don't care what the person on the other end thinks, I'll flush it before hanging up

So the original question/thread title involved etiquette, defined as "The customary code of polite behavior in society or among members of a particular profession or group."

You ain't got none.
Yeah it's weird. Most of the time they can probably tell if you're talking with food in your mouth or eating whilst they're speaking. If my phone rings whilst I'm eating, I will finish my current mouthful of food then answer the phone and not resume eating until after the call ends. Once or twice I've had to answer the phone whilst eating my lunch to ensure it doesn't go to voicemail, say "sorry, one second", finish that mouthful then apologise to the caller for the wait and explain I was just grabbing a quick bite to eat. Alternatively, I've had a colleague answer the phone for me so I can finish eating. There are plenty of ways around it.

People can also usually tell if you're walking around at a decent pace or lying down whilst on the phone, it's not professional to do those things whilst on the phone either.

Also desk lunch is bad. Means crumbs in the keyboard and doesn't give your eyes or brain a rest.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Its impolite if he does it and thinks its normal. I work in an office by myself, so sometimes I'll be trying to have lunch and the phone will ring, and occasionally I may be swallowing that last morsel when I pick up the phone, but I never continue eating while talking.

Unless its another colleague asking for advice in my lunchbreak, in which case they don't care how I divide my activities.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
I could be worse, I guess. I suppose just before thunderous farts, and you know how those reverberate in bathroom stalls, that I could lower the phone down near the bowl for full effect/volume, at the risk of accidentally spackling my phone with shit. I could use that effect in lieu of saying "no thanks", or as a general negative sound. Like an anal raspberry, that stinks.

I hope someday the ability to transmit smells by phone is a real thing.
Go to bed Tobus, its way past your bed time....you've got aerobics in the morning, remember.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by cliff_em_all
Am I wrong to think this is just about the worst thing you can do on the phone in a professional environment? Should I just leave it until complaints? or bring it up now?
If you talk with your mouth full then yes.

But besides that, I guess I can see how setting a common relaxed environment could be good for clientele. Too much proffesionalism can probably be suffocating, so they probably think it's better to have them interact as comfortable as they can.

But I've never needed to wear as much as a tie to work before so I'm not one to judge.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by i_lovemetallica
Go to bed Tobus, its way past your bed time....you've got aerobics in the morning, remember.