That Electra Omega Prime... what a beauty! Hey, does anyone have any thoughts about how the 2016 Omega Prime might compare to the 2017 Gibson Les Paul Tribute T? They're both around the same price point. The Electra is a heck of lot more guitar for the money (7ply binding, flame top, split coil pups, heel cut, belly cut, gloss finish, etc.), but the Gibson is... well... a Gibson. (I know, I know, stupid to take brand name into consideration, but...)

Thinking specifically about value, build quality, components, playability, flexibility... also have to take into account what it might be worth some years down the road.

Last edited by muelco at Feb 10, 2017,
If you really, really want the name on the headstock, then nothing else is going to do.

However, if "value, build quality, components, playability, flexibility" are more important to you emotionally than the brand, then get the Electra.

I've played enough modern guitars from Gibson and from other quality brands that compete in the same market to not see the name as adding much value anymore. Objectively or emotionally.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
...if "value, build quality, components, playability, flexibility" are more important to you emotionally than the brand, then get the Electra.

T00DEEPBLUE Yep. I think that's the sage-like advice I need. I'm leaning (hard) in the direction of the Electra. Still, I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has played 'em both.
I've had my maple topped one for a few years. It is a nice axe. Great feeling. Nice tone. I'm really going to have to get a second one. it is as good a Korean made guitar as any I own.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
They are similar shapes but they arent the same guitar and one being better than the other is up to you.

If youre just buying a guitar from a spec sheet then the Omega is mighty tasty.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
The original Omegas from the 1970s were meant to be direct competitors for the Les Paul. They nailed the sound, but never caught on, though some big names like Peter Frampton did play them. Today's Omegas are much the same: reasonable alternatives for Les Paul customers.

Mine has had zero problems beyond a single string that broke last year.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

And it's done! Trigger pulled! One Electra Omega Prime Flame Maple is on its way! Been stalking a good deal on Reverb for days. Will post pics when it arrives!

dannyalcatraz Some of those 70s Omegas were quite innovative. The MPC and that 5 way selector dial that puts the pups in and out of phase... very cool. Gotta read a bit more history on the company. The lawsuit era was a fascinating time for guitar making. I feel like the spirit of the old Omegas are still in these current designs… maybe just more realistic now. But I digress…
Now you need a killer strap to hang it on.

I got a nice embossed leather strap from Oberon Leather Goods in a brown/wine color for mine. Don't know that they're still making that one anymore. They sharply cut back on straps.

2013. I don't think much has changed, but their price has dropped a little

Quote by dannyalcatraz
The original Omegas from the 1970s were meant to be direct competitors for the Les Paul. They nailed the sound, but never caught on, though some big names like Peter Frampton did play them. Today's Omegas are much the same: reasonable alternatives for Les Paul customers.

Mine has had zero problems beyond a single string that broke last year.

There are pretty big differences between the old X220 and x230s made in Kasuga and a newer Omega Prime. That's not a fair comparison IMO. The old Omegas were much more traditional looking and had a lot of features you'd find on a Norlin era LP like the thinner. wider necks, volutes etc... and were closer to something like a pre super real series Greco/Burny in that vein. They were meant to be copies. The new ones are single cuts with slightly LPish features.

I'm not saying they are bad guitars either I'm just saying they aren't the same.

Also I'd probably like one over a Tribute T as well so I'm not trying to recommend a Trib either.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Feb 11, 2017,
I was just thinking of the new Omegas only.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I was just thinking of the new Omegas only.

Well I got confused because you mentioned the old ones in that post I quoted
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I ain't hatin'. Muelco may have meant it as you answered it. Either is a fair reading of the question.