I'm writing a song and the lead melody is being played in the top octave of the guitar - and unfortunately its sounding pretty thin. Does anyone have any tips on how to thicken up the tone? I'm running a somewhat hi gain lead w/ reverb to add some smoothness.

I'm going to try doubling the part (maybe panning them +-30) and/or try adding some chorus, maybe even try doubling it 8vb and blending it in the background.

Would love some ideas to try! Thanks!
All kinds of effects can "thicken" your tone. Reverb is one, but OD, Distortion, Fuzz, Delay, Echo, Rotary, Vibe, Octave and Chorus can do so as well. Which to use- and how much- depends on your precise tonal target.

I think it was Tom Scholz of Boston who used to split his signal* and have the second signal tuned 25 cents off.

* or use 2 guitars playing the exact same stuff.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz

* or use 2 guitars playing the exact same stuff.

i would do that, and try using a compressor in the end of the mix for your tracks.
An EQ would be really helpfull to give every instrument the right space in the mix..
Give your self the time to be a Beginner... because no one started as a Professional.
What guitar/amp?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
IDK have you tried using the neck pup?, if you have a decent neck humbucker it can fatten up your lead tone, simple but effective.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Evilnine

Good call.

I have a couple of guitars now that have a single coil-size very hot humbucker (DiMarzio Fast Track II) in the neck position. Not only does it produce pretty clean bottom end (because of its single coil size), but it's a really effective lead pickup at 18Kohm. It's particularly effective if you're working above the 12th fret.
A big part of a thick lead tone - to me - is prominent mids. Don't confuse your otherwise good tone (rhythm) for a good lead tone; the guitar is a mid-range instrument, so if you're scooping out the mids on single-note leads they will sound weak, brittle, and thin.

EQ is a lot more subjective than this other stuff though; doubling your guitar track, adding chorus, etc. will all thicken up your sound and there's no arguing with that. Try adding more mids and see if you dig it.
dspellman

Yeah I play different types of music but I have always found that using a neck pickup will fatten up my lead tone and give it a warmer darker vibe.

lumberjack

Agreed I scoop my mids a bit when playing rhythm at home to fatten up my sound in the absence of bass/drums but I will use a different channel with mids for lead, I do not scoop mids when playing in a band situation where the bass/drums bring the bottom end and the guitar needs that mid punch to keep from getting lost in the mix. I think a lot of players scoop the mids to get that fatter sound but then they leave the EQ scooped when playing in a groupd setting and struggle to be present in the mix.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by lumberjack
A big part of a thick lead tone - to me - is prominent mids. Try adding more mids and see if you dig it.

Good point. I have a couple of guitars with a Chandler Tone-X built in. It's an active sweepable mids boost (about 16 dB) on a push-pull. It's essentially an onboard "parked wah." I think Fender has a mids boost out there that's centered on a single frequency (don't recall). Leads have been described as vocals without words. You'll want to emphasize those frequencies in the vocal range; the human ear is optimized for them.