So I have an Ibanez which I want to make a project as I really like how the guitar looks, I really like the neck and the jumbo frets as well. The thing is that it has stock pickups which I believe are powersound? They suck. Also the licensed floyd rose isn't the best but it does the job, all I really do on it with whammy is flutter and some simple vibrato I don't do divebombs or anything.

As far as the bridge goes, pretty much the only upgrade I feel I should make is to install an original floyd rose. Honestly wouldn't care if this was fixed bridge but since it isn't OFR seems like the best choice

I'm stuck at the pickups. This guitar has 2 humbuckers and 1 singlecoil. I bought a used guitar a while back and the guy gave me the original pickups which are dimarzio DP211/212 which I believe are stock on prs se guitars? I could be wrong. I am a little tight on money so If these pickups would be an upgrade over the stock Ibanez ones it would be worth it. I don't know, the powersound pickups are pretty bad so even if these dimarzios are just a slight upgrade I feel that I would like them a lot more.

So I have those two humbuckers lying around that I could potentially install on the Ibanez. The other thing is the single coil. I'd probably have this set up mainly for metal but with there being so many pickups on the market, I really do not know what to install, especially for the single coil

I might be vague and all over the place but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Besides the licensed floyd rose and the powersound pickups I feel that this guitar has some potential to be a nice little project
As far as budget goes, what would be a good number to spend? I wouldn't mind maybe 200? I'm not sure if that's too low
i don't think prs ses come stock with dimarzios.

those dimarzios should be an improvement but i'm not sure they're aimed at heavier tones, they seem to be the eric johnson signatures.

you'd rarely use the single coil for metal much, a lot of players don't even bother swapping the single coil in an HSH setup if they mainly play heavier tones.

you just want to watch you don't put more into the guitar than it's worth- swap pickups and the trem and you're into serious money, at least compared to what the guitar's worth. If the guitar has sentimental value or you just love it for some reason, it may still be worth it. But if not... it's likely handier to sell it and just get a better guitar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you can find the stuff you want used you may be able to do those upgrades for $200. +1 to what Dave said: you're putting $200 into a $200 guitar. That said, with a good setup it's a fun instrument to play and, IMO, a decent modding platform.

My 270 has some sentimental value to me, so I've been thinking about the same upgrades as you. I already did the pickups, put a Dimarzio CrunchLab and Liquifire combo with a HS2 in the middle. The middle wasn't really necessary but I did it anyway. That pickup array does great for metal, but is plenty versatile as well. Another safe bet is the Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz set.

I'd like to swap the bridge for a Gotoh or one of the Ibby bridges (lo-pro). I don't do much whammy stuff but the back end of the bridge sticks out and gets in the way. This part can get expensive, and also may require some woodworking depending on what bridge you get.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
I see what you guys mean. I'm not exactly attached to the guitar but I do like the look of it and the feel. I know it isn't the best guitar but would upgrading it be a waste? Not the best but it's honestly not the worst either, it's held up well throughout the years.
^ unfortunately it's very hard to say without having the guitar in our hands. And realistically even with that, it's only really possible to be certain once you've actually done the upgrades... which is too late.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You get to make that decision. If it's worth it to you, go for it. You can make your budget go further by looking for deals on good used parts (especially the pickups). But ultimately it's your guitar and your money. Plus if you do the mods yourself you gain that experience (not sure on your modding experience, you probably have more than me since I had a tech do all my mods).

When I started modding my 270 I had plenty of other guitars to play, and I wasn't going to get anything out of it by selling it, so it was a no brainer to fix it up and get it playable.

Edit: Dave ninja'd me! btw if you decide to do your mods, let us know how it came out.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Last edited by BCKRedBaron at Feb 12, 2017,
haha

and bear in mind some of the upgrades can maybe be sold on, or used in other guitars (the pickups, for example) if you don't feel they were worth it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, worst case I lose out on 200 bucks which isn't much and regardless it is and upgrade. I'll take this chance to gain some experience modding and definitely let you guys know how it goes. Thanks
^ Yep, pretty much. If you can easily afford it (plus as I said above, you can probably recoup at least some of the losses by selling the stuff on if you don't like it), there's not much risk.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?