Hey folks, gonna order a passive pickup set today for my Schecter Blackjack ATX V1.

The pups will replace my Blackouts which I've grown tired of. I don't think I'm an active pickup kind of guy anymore. I've a Black Winter set in my other guitar and they just KILL the Blackouts for every kind of metal, and cleans too, of course.

Anyhow, I'm aware I need to swap out my volume and tone pots for 500k pots, but what else needs to be changed?

The guitar has a volume knob for each pickup (which is awesome), and one tone control. I'd like to get a push/pull tone pot for split-coil sounds like I have on my other guitar. But I'm clueless as to what brands/models I should be looking at. I've swapped pickups several times, but I've never gone from active to passive or vice versa. I think I also need a capacitor? What rating? I do have some .022 uF caps somewhere in my soldering kit...

Anyhow, I want to get high quality hardware but don't want to break the bank. It's important to me that the volume pots especially have a smooth "ramp/curve", as I do a lot of volume swells when playing clean stuff. So, I'd appreciate your help in building my parts list. Thanks!
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Grab some cts pots tone cap of choice nice gauge wire cloth covered is what I use just preference reasons and I think but not sure new output jack then pups of choice. I also have a couple sets of Black Winters great pups all around.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
I would get CTS pots, alpha 500k push pull, mono Jack, wiring, and of course a proper soldering iron & solder
Keep in mind that your Schecter has alpha pots in it (metric size) stock so if you decide to go CTS or Bournes (imperial), you will have to enlarge the holes for them to even fit. So if you're not comfy doing that yourself that is something to consider as it will be an extra cost and not a direct drop in.

FWIW I generally upgrade my pots to CTS but Alphas aren't bad if you want a direct drop in and none of the hassle.

As for capacitors, the standard cap value used in guitars is .022uF for humbuckers and .047s for singles IIRC (obviously not a hard rule since I've seen strats with .022uF caps stock as well). 300k to 550k pots are the standard as well. I personally use a .022uF PIO on my bridge and a .015uF PIO in the neck and I have 500k pots all around.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Feb 11, 2017,
Thread was moved to forum: Gear Building & Customizing
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm pretty sure I've got a bag full of .022 uF caps so I'm good there. I did some research and it sounds like the higher value you go with caps, the more high end roll off you get when you turn the tone knob down. I definitely never run my tone down a whole lot -- usually just a touch if anything.

Hatebreeder, good point on the size of my existing pots being smaller than normal. I wouldn't have a problem drilling the guitar for larger sizes but I'd prefer not to go through the hassle.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
FYI CTS make metric sized conversion pots now that'll be a drop-in replacement. Otherwise they're exactly the same as the Imperial CTS'.

http://www.axesrus.co.uk/1-x-CTS-Pot-Split-Shaft-Metric-Size-p/cts59met.htm

Though their really awesome full-size push-pull pots they make are still in imperial size only. I'm sure once they get more popular they'll roll out a metric version. These pots in my experience are a lot nicer than the push-pulls of other brands, and I've tried many of them. I have a pair of these in my FGN LPC and there's no looking back. They do a great job.

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Components_and_Parts/Potentiometers/CTS_Push_pull_Pots_DPDT.html

The wiring scheme for these pots is a bit confusing at first, but there's a guide on what each hole in the PCB represents and when you figure it out, its actually pretty easy. Everything you'd see on a standard push-pull pot is there.

http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Learn_About_Guitar_Pickups_and_Electronics_and_Wiring/Wiring_the_CTS_DPDT_Push-Pull_Pot.html

Any cap that's 0.022uf is going to be fine. The dielectric making a difference to tone is a myth.

You'll also want to replace the output jack of the guitar with a mono one instead of the stereo one that comes with active pickups. The Switchcraft ones are cheap.

22AWG wire is perfectly fine.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

You'll also want to replace the output jack of the guitar with a mono one instead of the stereo one that comes with active pickups. The Switchcraft ones are cheap.

Actually, I'd keep the stereo jack because as long as you're only using the tip and sleeve connections, it'll have a better grip on the plug. I'm in the process of converting all mine to stereo for that reason
Quote by CorrosionMedia
Actually, I'd keep the stereo jack because as long as you're only using the tip and sleeve connections, it'll have a better grip on the plug. I'm in the process of converting all mine to stereo for that reason

I've never had a problem with the Switchcraft mono plugs not holding in the jack well enough, but okay.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.