Hey guys, I'm pretty new here. Just wondering, I'm getting a Squier VM Mustang at the end of the month. I'm also gonna get a Fuzz Face. Then I'll put a TOM bridge in as well, and sand the gloss off the neck. But, should i also get a Seymour Duncan JB? Would it work with the Fuzz Face? I'm going for psychedelic stuff, like Hendrix who used mostly single coils obviously, but I feel the single coil AND the short scale length will result in a honky tone. Thoughts?
Why buy a guitar with the intent to mod it if you don't even know if you'll like it or not as is? Why not just buy something with the features you want instead? What do you mean will a JB work with a Fuzz Face? Of course it will, its a pickup and a pedal.

A Fuzz Face will work with whatever you use it with, its up to you to dial it in to get the sounds you want. What makes you think your tone is gonna be honky with single coils and a short scale? I think you're overthinking things. Try some gear out and get what feels good and sounds good to you.

FWIW if you want Hendrix tones, a Fuzz Face isn't the only part of the equation. IIRC Hendrix often ran the Fuzz Face in front of an amp that was already a bit distorted so don't expect to be able to get a FF and sound like Hendrix right out of the box either. What I like to do for those kind of tones if I'm not able to crank my amp or get some dirt out of it is running a FF into a drive pedal. I get pretty usable stuff with that setup for that style of music.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Feb 11, 2017,
^ yeah pretty much

that being said, most fuzz faces i've tried seem to prefer (fender-style) single coils.

of course, whether it's that i prefer that, or that the fuzz face does, I dunno.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
H4T3BR33D3R
If you can find me a Mustang that comes stock with a Tune o Matic bridge, a satin finished neck with a rosewood board, and isn't the Kurt Cobain sig model, which costs 4 times as much if you buy used as the Mustang I'm looking at, I'll buy you a wall of whatever amp you choose. And I'm not saying that if I plug a JB loaded guitar into a Fuzz Face that the amp will burst into flames, but I think anyone who's played a humbucker loaded guitar into a Fuzz Face would know that the result is SOMETIMES a splutty wall of mud. And sure, I'd go out and try a Mustang into a Fuzz Face if I didn't live in the middle of nowhere and had to make an hour drive to get to the nearest guitar store. Also, Mustangs can be very honky, depending on the model, so it's a genuine concern. And yes, I will be running it a slightly dirty amp, but I'm not saying I want a perfect Hendrix tone, just that vibe. I did get the chance to try a Mustang today, but the store had no Fuzz Face. I think I'll just keep the stock single coils. As the other user said, Fuzz Faces tend to like them better.
Does it need to be a Mustang? One of Leo Fender's other companies, G&L, has the Fallout. It isn't using singlecoils like the Mustang, but its HB + P90 arrangement might still scratch that itch...and the Tribute versions are in your price range. As I recall, TOM & trems exist.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=g%26l%20fallout%20tribute&sort=price%7Casc&page=
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
G&L isn't exactly high profile, so a lot of people forget about it...or simply never heard of them. But they're good. I'm glad I could help (maybe)!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by jrohlf301

And I'm not saying that if I plug a JB loaded guitar into a Fuzz Face that the amp will burst into flames, but I think anyone who's played a humbucker loaded guitar into a Fuzz Face would know that the result is SOMETIMES a splutty wall of mud.

Maybe a fuzz face with a bass cut knob? I'm not sure if any off-the-shelf fuzz faces have that feature but I don't think it's that hard to add. I know matt (a regular here, though he doesn't post anywhere near as much as he used to ) made some with that feature, at least.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?