After some time playing my Squier from Fender, I concluded it would be a good idea to get something a little more efficient. Most of the stuff I want to play is psychedelic rock (The Doors, Hendrix, Santana, Cream, etc.) and stoner rock (early Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, etc.). What guitar is best to achieve such a sound?
Oh My! So are you still using the little Fender Frontman 10g amp that came in your starter pack too? If so don't bother, a new guitar wont help,
So to add to TOODEEPBLUE's spot on post, Your budget and where you live is actually quite important, And to be completely honest this whole which guitar is best for such and such thing is getting pretty old, As the guitar actually has less influence on your sound than the amp in most cases, And with todays amp modeling and other technology the guitar is even less important, Meaning I could take your crappy Squire and play it through one of my high end amps and processors and it will sound pretty damn good, On the other hand you could take one of my high end guitars and play it through your crappy amp and it will sound like total crap. Hell I've played heavy metal on my semi hollow body just to prove the point its all in the amp, So it would appear you have a lot more to figure out than just what guitar do you need to play psychedelic rock with, As there's a lot more to it than just a guitar,
@nastytroll is on point.

"This whole which guitar is best for such and such thing is getting pretty old"

Unless what you really want to do is be able to stand there and *look* like every other sheep playing that genre.
The bands that you listed just scream PRS......I would start there with a quality tube amp.

TOODEEPBLUE has a lot of good things to consider with his list of questions....although I'm not sure I even put that much thought into my marriage. The best policy with guitars in all honesty is to try them out until you find one you REALLY like. A trip to a large, quality guitar shop can do wonders vs. purchasing online.
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
Quote by SG6578
The bands that you listed just scream PRS......I would start there with a quality tube amp.

TOODEEPBLUE has a lot of good things to consider with his list of questions....although I'm not sure I even put that much thought into my marriage. The best policy with guitars in all honesty is to try them out until you find one you REALLY like. A trip to a large, quality guitar shop can do wonders vs. purchasing online.

well except not one of those bands used PRS guitars in their prime (they didn't exist)

as noted their isn't a go to guitar for that. I'd take a look at perhaps a Gibson SG which could cover much of the bands you listed. on the other hand any number of other guitars coud work as well (and yes a PRS would be one of them.)
Quote by monwobobbo
well except not one of those bands used PRS guitars in their prime (they didn't exist)

as noted their isn't a go to guitar for that. I'd take a look at perhaps a Gibson SG which could cover much of the bands you listed. on the other hand any number of other guitars coud work as well (and yes a PRS would be one of them.)

....and most of those bands in their prime also didn't have access to PA systems either so they sought ideal tones at volumes that would blow out your eardrums. PRS makes a quality axe with coil taps, I think "stoner rock" now and I think of Clutch. A PRS seems to fit that role rather well. The bands listed in the original post use a mix of single coil and humbucks....which leads me to think of a guitar with coil taps. Who makes one of the best, stock coil tap guitars....PRS.

...and I love Gibson SG's, I just wouldn't gig with one that has stock tuners. The break angle of the headstock with SG's ensures a guitar that easily falls out of tune (at least 10 years of touring have proved that theory for myself).

Just my $0.02
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
Last edited by SG6578 at Feb 13, 2017,
There is a limit to the usefulness of the "What guitar is best" question, but a lot of the artists you mentioned are SG players, so SGs might be a good place to start.
Death to Ovation haters!
There really isn't a "best", per se, but dual HBs and P90s are popular with several of the guitarists in those iconic bands.

Since I'm a big fan of Reverends...look at their Sensei, Volcano/Ron Asheton, Bayonet, Reeves Gabrels sig, Kingbolt, Double Agent, Jetstream and a few others. Their Descent baritone might really scratch your stoner itch.

Godin has a few guitars kitted out with Seymour Duncan P-rails, which could also do the job. The discontinued Icon Type 3 sports a trio of Lollar P90s that could work.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Hey,
I cover all those bands. Some nights I choose the Strat, some nights the SG, some nights my Tele, some nights the 335. They all work just fine with a decent amp and a fair set of ears and fingers.

Last weekend was the ocean blue Strat for both gigs. Never even brought a backup guitar.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Feb 13, 2017,
Going to agree with the rest here that you can play this on practically anything.
However, you still have a choice to make and while different guitars will all do the genre you like, they will do it in their own way.

When I think of psychedelic rock and stoner, the SG (as mentioned by others as well) is the first to pop up in my mind and coincidentally, most of the players for the bands you listed have used one at some point in time. However, SG's aren't for everyone. I'd try one out and see if you like it.

On the other hand, if you like the style of guitar you have right now and just want a quality upgrade, you can check out what Fender (and other brands) have to offer in that vein.

Quote by SG6578
...and I love Gibson SG's, I just wouldn't gig with one that has stock tuners. The break angle of the headstock with SG's ensures a guitar that easily falls out of tune (at least 10 years of touring have proved that theory for myself).

Just my $0.02

Sounds more like a guitar that wasn't set-up well than anything else to me, to be fair.
I think you need a good tube rock amp...Orange, Marshall, Laney, or Mesa. Lots of options to choose from, OR30 would probably be my first choice.

Then as far as guitars go, I'd go for something more off the beaten path like a Reverend or G&L.