Hi guys! Greetings from Spain! I have a doubt that you may solve.

I´ve owned a JCM 800 2203 Reissue for 7 years, and I´m getting tired of it. It does sound great, but...too much time for me. I have the chance to trade it for a Mesa Boogie Mark IV head, from a guy in a city far from mine. If I travel to his city, we can test the amps and interchange them if we both agree, no money difference paid. I´ve never heard a Mark IV in person, but I´ve heard some demos and it seems to sound great. I have no further knowledge about the amp, and I´ve read that it has lots of controls and knobs. This particular amp looks physically like brand new.

Could you please tell me what I must look for in order to be sure the amp is in good condition?

Thanks a lot for your time!
I grew up playing amps like the JCM 800. A few years ago I tried out a Mesa Mark, but couldn't get it to sound anything like the tone I like. From my understanding those amps require a lot of tweaking, especially with he EQ, to get a Marshall type tone out of them.

I personally don't like amps that require a lot of tweaking, so I passed on the Mark. If you don't mind tweaking then it might work out for you (many people like them).
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
For me its a no brainer, Grab the Mesa and run. As to good condition? Mesa's are almost bullet proof and refuse to die, as to your Marshall? I 'm quite surprised it still works after 7 years without having to throw money at it for repair, You may have set a record, Perhaps now would be a good time to unload it before it does break down? As to the Mark 4's they were a bit odd with that whole EQ thing, but other than that quite tweakable, and slightly darker than your Marshall, I've found they really shine with the V30 loaded cabs. And as a master volume equipped amp you might find it a bit easier to dial in a tone you like without rupturing an eardrum. But full bore on the power tubes will make the Marshall seem a bit tame in comparison, Its the way Mesa's are, Love them or hate them
Last edited by nastytroll at Feb 12, 2017,
Hey! Yes, I´ve read that it´s much more complicated than the 800, but I don´t mind spending time with an amp. And ok, so time doesn´t affect Mesa much. I´ll go seal the deal. Thanks!
I'd take the Mesa too. Fantastic amps in general and the Mark IV isn't an exception to that.
If the 800 was an original series one I'd keep it, but if you'd want to grab an RI later down the line, you always could. I doubt you'll miss it though, unless the MK IV turns out to be too much of a tweaker for you.
Yeah Mesa all the way. Probably my favorite amp ever, sounds so good.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I like em both but the Mesa is more versitle and has its own unique character.
Unfortunately the other guy has canceled the trade. We had an arrangement, but he hasn´t kept his word.
Anyways, thanks everyone!
That's a bummer.
But, this deal not working out doesn't make a JCM800 less of a beast. It's a classic and it always will be.
Quote by I K0nijn I
That's a bummer.
But, this deal not working out doesn't make a JCM800 less of a beast. It's a classic and it always will be.

Indeed. I was just curious about the Mesa.
Honestly, if you want a Mesa Mark... do the hard thing and save up for one. They sound amazing with a JCM 800 doing the aby setup.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by ThunderPunk
Honestly, if you want a Mesa Mark... do the hard thing and save up for one. They sound amazing with a JCM 800 doing the aby setup.

The thing is that I don´t need another amp. I have a Laboga Mr Hector and I love it. I don´t know if I want to buy a Mesa Mark IV (if I want to invest money on it), because I´ve never tried one. I was open minded about the interchange because I knew how the 800 sounds, and I was able to be surprised by the Mesa.
I don´t know if I made my point I could think about buying a Mesa if I sold the 800.
It is a question whether you're a Marshall or a Mesa guy. I am both

Seriously, in production, the best thing to do is run say Les Paul on JCM800 on one side and Mesa Mark or Recto with say a Jackson Soloist on the other
Quote by diabolical
It is a question whether you're a Marshall or a Mesa guy. I am both

Seriously, in production, the best thing to do is run say Les Paul on JCM800 on one side and Mesa Mark or Recto with say a Jackson Soloist on the other

Yeah, I guess you can like both. The only in person experience I had with Mesa was with a Recto, and I didn´t like it at all. I have to try more models, or spend more time with a Recto, in the case I have the chance.
Quote by diabolical
The Recto sound, due to the rectifier has a bit of a scratchy quality, which unless you're into some of the metal genres maybe is not so pleasant. The Mark on the other hand, is a completely different animal.

I don´t know what it was, but I didn´t like it. I have a Laboga Mr Hector, which has 2 rectifier tubes, and I love its sound.
I would not think that would be a fair trade. I have seen single recs (my favorite of all of the rectifiers) go for $650.
Up to you though. IMO the single has a different sound than the dual and triple, I loved my single and will own another one eventually.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
He's in Spain, Boba, so different prices. :P

I'd keep the Marshall. The single isn't that popular to sell/trade should you want to later on and I'd say the Marshall is worth a bit more as well. Unless this is what you really want, I'd leave it be. If you're looking into a Recto sound, I think trading for the Dual would be a more fair deal.
Quote by bobafettacheese
I would not think that would be a fair trade. I have seen single recs (my favorite of all of the rectifiers) go for $650.
Up to you though. IMO the single has a different sound than the dual and triple, I loved my single and will own another one eventually.

I´ve investigated more and seen Singles go for 600€ so no, it wasn´t a fair trade.
Quote by I K0nijn I
He's in Spain, Boba, so different prices. :P

I'd keep the Marshall. The single isn't that popular to sell/trade should you want to later on and I'd say the Marshall is worth a bit more as well. Unless this is what you really want, I'd leave it be. If you're looking into a Recto sound, I think trading for the Dual would be a more fair deal.

Yeah, here Dual/Triple Rectos are sold new for about 2500-3000€, I don´t know for how much they are sold in the US, but I guess its less.

Now I ´ve been offered a Triple Rectifier for trade (+some money for me to pay). It looks like this is going on and on
I´ll do some tweaking when I try it, and see how it works.
Hi everyone!
Thank you all for your support. I FINALLY traded my JCM 800 for a Dual Rectifier. Let´s  see how it behaves.  
Take your time with it is what I'm going to say right now. It's an amazing amp, but dialing it in can take some time.
^+1

A very different beast from the 800. Much MORE beastly, too.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by I K0nijn I
Take your time with it is what I'm going to say right now. It's an amazing amp, but dialing it in can take some time.

+1 dial with your ears and not your eyes.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/