Hi guys,
some days ago me and my partner were in the studio where we rehearse and we recorded a song.
The thing is that the mix of the song sounded nice and balanced in the studio. Then we exported it in WAW and tried it in the car on our way back home and it sounded like crap.
I thought that the speakers in the car were not the best ones so I listened to the song through my soundsystem at home, then 4 other soundsources and it was pretty much the same.
Too much bass, no real definition and it was just a mess. We did EQ out all unnecessary frequencies in the guitars, the bass and some in the drums, panned everything and used compressors.

Could you guys give me some guidance in how to make good and clean mixes?

We use Logic and record through a Marshall head (not sure which one, it has MIDI features) and a Koch 4x12

Here is the song in question,
https://soundcloud.com/user-98937717/rip-chili
Dissonance is underrated.
Last edited by Lyrax at Feb 13, 2017,
I'll take a stab at this and say the issue might be that studio monitors or control room acoustics. It's not totally an unusual problem. Back in the late 80's my band recorded four demos for CBS Records (the publishing arm of CBS not the label itself). We used a well known local studio with excellent equipment and a beautiful newly redesigned studio and control room. Just like you experienced, our demos sounded awesome at the studio but at home on all the band members systems it sounded like crap. No high end and bass so loud you couldn't turn up the the volume at all without dialing the bass knob back to almost off. I called the studios owner the next day and he admitted that the control room just had new monitors installed and they didn't have the chance to get out their spectrum analyzer and tune the room or adjust the speakers placement. He apologized and offered us a four hour mix session a week later so they had the chance to fix their issue. The next mixes we did were fine outside of the studio. It turned out to be a good/bad situation for me. CBS hated the songs (or maybe just didn't like our demo period) but I got to know the studios owner who took me on as an unpaid apprentice (moving mics, rolling up cables, cleaning ashtrays etc.) that eventually turned into a part time (paid) engineering job at the studio.

Let the studio know you are having an issue playing back the mixes. They will most likely make an effort to fix things. Start by being very nice and understanding. Hopefully you have the stems from the sessions (the individual digital tracks) so if it doesn't work out, try taking the tracks to another studio for a mix.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Feb 12, 2017,
Yes, that is exactly it. The acoustics - in whatever way and for whatever reason - in the control room where it was mixed were messed up. It could be something as simple as monitor placement. It could be something as obvious as entirely inadequate (or absent) acoustic treatment. (I saw a photo of a guy with a so-called "studio" in his basement that he was advertising to clients where you could see that the entire space was concrete walls.)

I find it alarming that a pro studio would not have their stuff together - new monitors or not - enough to turn out a bad mix and send it home. I'm not at all suggesting that it didn't happen. Just alarmed that it did. At least they behaved professionally afterwards and made sure to make good on it.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I never really thought about the acoustics in the studio, but now when I think about it, it has to be it.
Because all the soundproofing or whatever it is (boards on stands wrapped in fabric) are behind the whole workstation and there are some metal lockers, a couch and some other stuff in the back. That pretty much means that there is no acoustic treatment. I mean, we sat there for hours and really tried to get it right and it ended up this way. And that is with other songs also...

Well, about taking our stuff to another studio, would be kinda hard at the moment since everything is so damn expensive. I could talk to the guy in charge about the things Rickholly mentioned,
but I don`t think that will change anything. I could also talk to the other guys using the studio if they are experiencing the same issues as we are.
We`ll see what happens.

Thanks guys! If you want to give me some more advice, please do!
Dissonance is underrated.
In my case I had used this studio previously on several occasions to record several radio advertising jingles for an advertising agency I worked for part time and those things came out well so I knew that the studio was pretty good. It's all just a guess on my part but I just happen to have had that experience. My band may have been the first to use the redesigned studio. In my case it all worked out so N/P.

I know it's expensive to use a studio which is why I eventually started buying my own pro equipment and built my own home studio. The initial outlay was pretty expensive but it paid for itself very quickly. I understand if that's not what you want to do but maybe you know someone with some recording gear to help you in the future.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Feb 14, 2017,
Sometimes after recording and mixing for a long time we just get ear fatigue and miss obvious stuff.

My acid test in the studio is always to cue up a couple of favorite tracks in a similar style to our music that I know really well. Do they sound good through the monitors? When I A/B those tracks verses ours, does anything stand out or get buried on our tracks? We will fine tune and get close to my reference track mix. Then when we play it at home or in the car the mix still works.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
"studio where we rehearse" - does this mean it is a common room that they rent for bands to play and just seems to have a recording setup?

Maybe its purpose is not to turn out complete mixes but ideas.

I think you need more practice, even in some so-so places you can record OK productions, even sometimes great productions.

I had one friend in an extreme metal band. He went for his first demo in some total dump of a studio with 8 track reel to reel recorder, 16 track desk and cut out a totally brutal demo, reminiscent of early Venom. He was head on aggression. He then grabbed the same songs and with the same lineup took it to high end pro studio that turned out tepid garbage. All the heaviness and evil was gone in that 2nd production...

Listening to "The Path" - some interesting writing, dig it!
If you need vocals - I can help out, PM me if interested.

Gotheborg - you should just save up for Studio Fredman
Here's a little realization I came to recently - studio speakers are flat response - but pretty much everywhere else that you go and listen to music, the speakers are flattering and often there is a big bass and treble boost inately incorporated. I believe our brains are sort of conditioned to enjoying music with this excitement processing.

So, whenever i was mixing on my monitors, i would naturally use more bass and highs and it would sound awesome and exciting on my studio monitors, but it would translate like garbage everywhere else - i recommend you try experimenting by using a little outboard EQ. Pick a comparison track, and start boosting the bass and treble so it resembles the excited way that it sounds in your car - then try mixing your song and making it bump and sizzle
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69