So here is the premise. i have been a drummer for 7 years, a guitarist for 4, and i just picked up the bass 2 weeks ago.
I've been practicing every day between 1-3 hours depending on time constraints, and I just started to notice some serious improvement to my technique.
I played a jam for a peer just yesterday night, and was told by said peer that i was great for 2 weeks in, and with practice id be an excellent bassist in a few months. That made me feel great and so as you can imagine i was excited to practice again today. Well, This morning i picked my bass guitar back up, played through my exercise checklist like usual, and after about 30 minutes i decided to try and jam over a drum track for a bit. Now all of the sudden im feeling significantly weaker in skill than i did JUST LAST NIGHT!!! im terrified that iv'e done something seriously detrimental to my learning, i am extremely motivated to create a solo album (not really relevant, except it is) and if i cannot learn to play the bass well this is going to be a huge barrier for me, has anyone else ever experienced such a sharp drop in their skill level overnight? Frankly its extremely frustrating, and save for some neurological issue i cannot think of a single reason this should be happening to me... PLEASE HELP
you've been playing for 2 weeks. i've had rashes longer than that.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Right, but im already an expirienced musician. And have never expirienced a similar phenomenon before this.
Quote by Cjfwinning
And have never expirienced a similar phenomenon before this.

That's what I tell all the girls.

It's pretty normal to run into a plateau or even drop back a few steps as you're learning something new.
Besides, you're a drummer. You're not expected to walk and breathe at the same time.
dspellman haha, good one! Thanks for the positive words, i definatley wont be giving up, it was just very discouraging for me, but you both have a point, i am learning a lot of new information, things probably just got jumbled up in my brain.
Its a case of 3 steps forward, 2 steps back. And when it comes to practice remember quality not quantity counts.

Bass requires the rhythm skills of a drummer and the tonal / chord knowledge of a guitarist. Give your brain a chance to re-wire some muscle memory and you'll actually make a pretty damn good bass player if your groove is solid as a drummer.

(You know if you don't play like a certain drummer from Metallica..)
Thanks anarkee! Excellent input, i can see how my habits as a drummer could really help to propel my style as a bassist, and i definitley get what you mean at the end there haha, thanks again for the tips!
Quote by Cjfwinning
Right, but im already an expirienced musician. And have never expirienced a similar phenomenon before this.

it took about 5 years of playing guitar before i realized i hated playing guitar
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
I've been playing fifteen years and if I started a thread every time I had a bad day's playing there'd be no room for anything else here
Don't fret, some mornings I can't seem to play a straight 8 beat, half an hour later and a cup of coffee I try again and you can't hear the kick because I land on top of every beat. It's all a bit weird but sometimes our bodies betray us. Doesn't that happen to drummers
Sometimes I find it's helpful to just walk away for a day or two. Play some guitar instead, or drums, or just listen to music (maybe something bass-driven for inspiration), and kind of formulate a plan of attack. Don't rush things. When I hit a plateau in my playing abilities, sometimes I just have to put the bass down, walk away for a while, and when I come back, I feel refreshed with a new sense of purpose.
Music is as much mental as it is physical, so taking time to clear your head and think about what you want to learn/play is as important as actually learning how to play it.