I am trying to create Ritchie Blackmore's tone from the 70s. I know he used Marshall amps and Fender Strats. What would be the best amp/guitar/pedals to get his sound? My budget is around $1000 and I already have a marshall amp (dsl40c). Would the dsl be a good amp to get somewhere close to his tone? I would also like to know what I could get if I didn't have a budget. I would like to know what eq settings Ritchie used on his amps
well it depends somewhat on which 70s tones you mean. his early stuff was actually a Gibson ES-335 into a Vox amp. Machine Head was a strat but there is some debate as to whether it was a marshall or a vox on the album (live marshalls.) Ritchie used a volume boost from a revox tape recorder. you can get a similar boost from a clean boost. if you listen his early 70s tone isn't very distorted however he seemed to be using more gain for Burn and Stormbringder as well as Rainbow. even so his tone doesn't use much distortion but relies more on volume with a boost to ad sustain.

your amp will work but isn't ideal. Ritchie used marhsalls that were modded for extra wattage and a gain stage was added as well. Engl currently makes a Blackmore model amp that can get you those tones but it ain't cheap. I assume you have a strrat? the 70s reissue is a good one or better yet if you can find a Blackmore sig that would be the best.
Marshall DSL40C and Fender Squire strat.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Someone mentioned ENgl, and even though Ritchie now uses these amps I'd have to say they are nowhere close to his old tone.

Big part of Ritchie's tone is the scalloped fretboard. Another big part is his Revox recorder working as tape echo and as overdrive to his front end. Lookup some of the old videos and you'll see it, especially on one concert in Belgium or Holland, I think, you can even see it on the side of the stage and how he is tweaking it between songs.

The DSL40C is a more modern voicing than Ritchie so it depends how close you want to get to it. You'd get a lot closer with Marshall Bluesbreaker or Plexi type of head, or in a box I'd say Carl Martin Plexitone, tape echo, with a tube clean amp channel will probably do quite the vintage rendition of Ritchie's sound. Since you have that amp already...

First you got to start with a Strat, vintage pickups if possible as close to the early strats as you can get. Arcane pickups might be a good suggestion if you're thinking of swapping pickups.

On the amp side, I'd say less gain (think AC/DC), dial out some of the lows, mids at 5, highs at 7. Definitely add some reverb if you have it. For front end I'd say use one of these as a boost:
Echoplex EP101 Preamp pedal
DOD 250 Preamp
This would probably be closest to these old echo sound but $$$
https://reverb.com/item/2216903-hughes-kettner-replex-tube-driven-tape-delay-simulator-reverb-h-k-guitar-pedal-vg-condition

Then in the fx loop some kind of vintage sounding tape delay pedal. I use Modtone MT-AD, but Echoplex delay should be fine too.
11b3827

haven't tried that MXR pedal yet but hear good things. your current pedal won't really get you the tape delay sound. what guitar do you have?
Any decent Strat and a Plexi or equivalent with clean boost. That is what I used to use in the Richie B. cover days. Then all you need is a big dose of magic fingers.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by CodeMonk
And lets not forget the 200 watt Marshall Major.

that model was kinda the result of what Ritchie asked Marshall to do. pretty sure his original amps were plexi's that were modded to run at 200 watts and have an extra gain stage. don't think Ritchie actually use the Major though
Quote by monwobobbo
that model was kinda the result of what Ritchie asked Marshall to do. pretty sure his original amps were plexi's that were modded to run at 200 watts and have an extra gain stage. don't think Ritchie actually use the Major though

I took a look on Guitar Player site at the "How to play like" column, they said he used a Major.
Of course they could be talking out their ass.
Quote by CodeMonk
I took a look on Guitar Player site at the "How to play like" column, they said he used a Major.
Of course they could be talking out their ass.

long time blackmore fan. I'm going by memory of older interviews so it's possible I'm wrong but remember him saying modded amps
Quote by monwobobbo
long time blackmore fan. I'm going by memory of older interviews so it's possible I'm wrong but remember him saying modded amps

Big fan here as well.
Maybe the modded amp was his main and used Majors for back up.
Hell if I know.