I've tried many brands of strings, every single one breaks at the same spot. The bridge. Right where the string lays.
I've polished the saddles. That didn't work. Strings keep breaking. I've changed the saddles. Same issue.
My guitar is an Ibanez GAX30, I already tried different brands, Ernie Ball, Fender, Gibson, Dean Markley, D'Addario etc, and different gauges. I started playing with the lightest set I played , 0.009, and then keep getting thicker. Now I play with 11 or 12 and strings keep breaking. The last one was the E one, the thickest, from a 12-54 string set.
I mostly play on standard tune or D tuning, usually Doom Metal riffs or Punk, I don't really shred or anything like that. Just the usual power chords.
I already tried different picks too. I noticed that strings broke more during the hot summer, I bought a set and 24hours later a string was already broke. Now, it usually takes 2 weeks to get a string broke (playing at least one hour per day).
If anyone has any idea how I can resolve this problem, I'd really really appreciated. I'm getting desperate and this can demotivate anyone.
Please don't say to change to bass...
Last edited by dia_d6 at Feb 13, 2017,
I'd suggest getting a few lessons... the issue isn't the strings or the guitar. Sounds like you're beating your guitar harder than your wang.
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '95 Fender MIM Strat
Helix Rack, Jetcity JCA50H w/ JCA24s+
DirtFarmer
I wish that was the issue. I shared this problem with few other guitarists that beat the strings way harder than me, and nobody knows the problem. My stroke is normal, sometimes the strings break with just one tiny touch.
PSimonR
I usually play close to the neck pickup. My strokes aren't that hard! yes, I could enthusiasm myself during some moments and hit the strings hard but they are supposed to resist right?
Well, it is interesting that you don't think you are playing too hard but I never break strings playing them. The strings are supposed to resist at least normal playing + a bit of bending, at least 2 tones up, So, is this the only guitar you have? If the strings break at the same spot it sort of implies there is something wrong at that spot. You say you have changed the saddles but it can only be them, can't it? I'm not sure polish would be a good thing - more like file them to round off the sharpness is what I would do.
I read your post, but it could still be a burr. I had problems with a pricey axe that always broke strings at the bridge, 1-2 strings every month- usually one of higher pitched ones. I took it to a tech who filed & polished the bridge for a while, and I haven't had a string break there on that guitar in 10 years.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I'm with dannyalcatraz -- you've got a burr on your bridge saddle. Especially true if they're breaking in the same place (at the bridge) every single time.

The only alternative is weather/corrosion. If you're living on Malta, etc., you may be rusting them through pretty quickly.
+1 more to a burr on your saddle. Several years ago I had much the same experience. One option you can try before you take it to a tech is to use graphite as a lubricant on the saddle. I use pencil lead.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
PSimonR
Yea that's true. Yes, a technician filed the first saddles. Then it didn't work and I changed saddles. So I should lime these one too?
That guitar doesnt have very pointly saddles like a les paul does it? Where do the strings attach to the bridge and where exactly do they break? That kind of saddle should never break strings. There must be a point somewhere that the string bears against. Sometimes the strings goes through the body and bears against a very sharp ferrule. Does it actually break over the saddle?
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I read your post, but it could still be a burr. I had problems with a pricey axe that always broke strings at the bridge, 1-2 strings every month- usually one of higher pitched ones. I took it to a tech who filed & polished the bridge for a while, and I haven't had a string break there on that guitar in 10 years.

this.
geo-rage
The strings always break at the same spot. Right where the string touches the saddle I guess. It doesn't matter which string it is, every string breaks there. Even playing smoothly. I've never broke a string in other spot. The bridge looks like this: http://imgur.com/a/nkdHi
It seems you have a blurry bridge. Those break strings like mad.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I had the same problem with an Ibanez years ago - it was a bur on the saddle, even though it felt smooth a tech filed it for me and the problem went away.
What type of bridge? Ibanez used either a Hardtail or a stop tail depending on year of manufacture on the GAX30, If the stop tail TOM type then the saddles you bought could have been just as crappy as the ones you replaced. Just pony up and buy a set of Graphtech string savers for it and be done with it already ,
im assuming you constantly have to tune flat as well to adjust for your heavy handed playing style.... The issue persists because the player persists. try playing your guitar with a more in tune picking style
Youtube: Musishoon
dia_d6Man o mab you have little sliver on your bridge saddle i play so hard i use 12-56s but at the bridge its a burr just file it downyoull be fine
Saw the picture. That is too sharp of a break angle over the bridge. Ive seen worse though that didnt break . Try some different saddles. You already did that but try some differently designed ones. Or stick a twig behind the saddle to share the pressure before it breaks over the saddle
Last edited by geo-rage at Feb 15, 2017,