Hi, I am looking for some new bands and riffs. I'm looking for bands similar to Killswitch Engage (anything before 2009), OLD Trivium, Bullet for my Valentine and Parkway Drive.

EDIT - I am looking for songs with heavy but melodic riffs and singing. I am not looking for Melodic Death Metal.

The artists with the melodic sound I am looking for are:

Killswitch Engage - As Daylight Dies, End of Heartache albums
As I Lay Dying - An Ocean Between Us album
Trivium - Ascendancy album
Bullet for my Valentine - The Poison album
Parkway Drive - Horizons album
Last edited by Dannnn3 at Feb 16, 2017,
Other than Unearth's last two albums, nobody really plays in the Gothenburg style of metalcore anymore. The current state of metalcore consists of bands like Northlane and Invent Animate.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Arghoslent is basically In flames but good. Try Incorrigible Bigotry
Thanks for the reply's, Arghoslent is far too angry for me though. Really liked a few songs from Darkness in the Light, will be listening to a few more tonight. Bands like Northlane and Invent Animate make my skin crawl.
Last edited by Dannnn3 at Feb 14, 2017,
My best recommendation is listen to some bands like Decapitated, At the Gates, Suffocation, Entombed, and Bloodbath.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
At The Gates - Gardens of Grief; The Red in the Sky is Ours; With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness
Garden of Shadows - Oracle Moon
Intestine Baalism - entire discography
Sentenced - North From Here
Vehemence - God Was Created; Forward Without Motion
Thanks for the reply mate but I'm not into Death Metal. I'm looking for the melodic style riffs and songs, like Rose of Sharyn by Killswitch and Ascendancy (song or album) by Trivium. Not sure what the genre is called.
Quote by Dannnn3
Thanks for the reply mate but I'm not into Death Metal. I'm looking for the melodic style riffs and songs, like Rose of Sharyn by Killswitch and Ascendancy (song or album) by Trivium. Not sure what the genre is called.

Fair enough man. If you're into KsE then I reckon your best bet would be to check out some metallic hardcore such as Aftershock, Earth Crisis and Disembodied. However, they don't have KsE's melodic sensibilities and are more aggressive than melodic metalcore, although not as heavy as death metal. I reckon you'd probably enjoy Aftershock the most out of those three, as they are the most similar to KsE (hardly surprising, given that Adam D was also their guitarist).

As for artists similar to Trivium, you'd probably be best off exploring the more melodic thrash metal bands from the 80's. To be honest though thrash isn't my area of expertise, so I'm afraid I can't really recommend many artists. I'd say anything Sepultura put out between Schizophrenia and Arise as well as Testament's classic albums (assuming you already know about the obvious bands like the big 4). Maybe check out Watchtower and Obliveon as well; they're probably my favourite thrash bands, though whether they're what you're looking for is a different matter.

I wouldn't necessarily discard those death metal bands I recommended though. Extreme metal isn't always easy to get into; I remember when I first started getting into the genre! Sometimes it takes time for the listener to appreciate and enjoy the heavier bands. I specifically picked those artists as they all have extremely melodic tendencies (Sentenced and Garden of Shadows in particular) that either directly influenced melodic metalcore or would have influenced the melodeath bands that influenced said metalcore bands. But whatever, hopefully you'll enjoy my recommendations
Uncreative - I did like Hydra had a really nice chorus with nice riffs around 1:20 and both songs were decent. There are a few on the album that are very close to what I'm looking for, I just like the style of song to be a bit quicker and probably more mainstream. Nice little album though.

Supertom - I have looked into aftershock a while ago and this is similar style to the riffs I like, just not the screaming. Adam D is the best. He has created all my favourite riffs to play or to listen to. Times of Grace also has that melodic element without losing the great riffs. As for the bands you showed me, I tried them all but hated the scream. I have heard a few songs from Decapitated and Nile, some really brutal bands with amazing riffs but I just cant listen to them because I hate the scream. Thanks for the reply's though mate.