I was just playing some guitars at a store the other day ... i picked one up (a cheaper guitar really) but it weighed a lot for a acoustic of its size. i noticed the Top seemed pretty Beefy compared to the next one i picked up ... which felt like it was made of Paper compared to the first ... the heavy seemed to me to sound better... i'm just curious ... how does the top thickness affect the sound... or even the way it'll sound as it ages...

and just any other info or stories about something like this really ... i'm on the hunt for a new acoustic... so i got considering to do
Originally posted by adVENTURA
if your in a punk band just do like Lars and Tim in rancid and scream like you got marbles in your mouth.

Check out my Music Here
Acoustic guitar weight varies a lot, but a lot of it is going to be in the b&s rather than the top, since tops are typically made of fairly light materials, whereas b&s can be anything from fairly light to very heavy. Light acoustics feel good to me, but I don't think it will necessarily indicate that I will like the tone any more than a heavy one. - light may indicate too "loose" or open sounding, heavy might indicate a characterless clunker. One eminent luthier, I think it was Bruce Sexauer, suggested that modern high-end luthier construction has tended to go for heavy b&s, which act as a reflective surface for sound rather than a resonant one as in the lighter-built prewar instruments. Also in tops, bracing patterns will have at least much effect as typical variations in top thickness, and luthiers pay much attention to this.

An example of light weight is my all-solid-mahogany kona, which, at about 2 1/2lbs, weighs about half as much as a comparably sized 15 series (all-mahogany) Martin, and sounds more like cedar than Martin-style mahogany. - Which is fine for what I want it to do, but might be way too much of a good thing for, say, strumming. OTOH, my favourite guitar for fingerpicking is all-laminate, and comparatively heavy, but it has a solid-piano like tone with a lot of headroom. IOW, I don't think you can generalise, it depends what kind of sound you want.
A thick top usually indicates a minimum of bracing and/or the wood may be less dense than usual, it depends on what tone and sustain the maker is trying to achieve.