I tend to always check what used guitars are being sold as there are at times some absolute steals. Earlier I was taking look at some guitars and someone was selling a Stagg guitar that was very much in the style of a PRS, at least to my eyes. I'm always trying to expand my knowledge on the guitars out there and while come people may know this brand, I don't. I just find that sometimes these unknown brands can produce some amazing guitars which are an amazing bang for the buck. Anyone ever play one of these? Would love to know what you've thought.
They're sold in Europe from what I've seen, as very low end knockoffs. I've played a few while in Europe last year, there was one LP knockoff that played better than Epi LP that was twice the price but some of the graphics on the Stagg were ghastly, it had some kind of gothic off black look that was screaming "cheapo". I wouldn't expect to pay much for one, especially used. The one I tried was about 100 euros new.
They are known here as one of the cheapest, and also the crappiest brands. They actually make a lot of instruments, not just guitars, and all of them are considered cheap and bad copies. I've played a few of them, and i they all sucked. If you want a begginer guitar, there are many better ones out there, and if you want a decent guitar, just stay the hell away from them. I mean, there may be a gem in there somewhere, but i wouldnt count on it.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
I had one once, in the style of a Mockingbird. I got lucky with it, the guitar itself was put together solid enough. All the parts were cheapest of the cheap though.

Purely a first guitar for beginners only.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
My first guitar was a Stagg. I liked it because it looked cool at the time. A year later, 2 tuners broke, the volume pot crapped out and the 5-way switch only worked in 2 or 3 positions. It might be a decent guitar with new hardware and electronics, but at that point, you might as well just buy a different guitar.
My first guitar was a Stagg Flying V copy.

The neck pocket was cut in such a way that the neck sat in it crooked, the pickups were very microphonic, the frets were popping out of the fretboard, the fretboard itself was misaligned with the neck (you could feel a sharp ridge between them on the treble side), the hardware was the crappiest of the crap, it was extremely neck heavy as the neck was heavier than the body, and they couldn't even bother to make the nut from solid plastic, it was completely hollow.

It was the worst guitar I've ever played in my life.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
gorkyporky No definitely don't need a beginner guitar lol got a couple of custom 24s as my main axes

Like I said, I really just try to expand my knowledge as much as I can and I'm so glad I asked here. They do sound really terrible LOL glad I'm not the type to just buy it first and figure it out for myself, would have been a huge waste.
I had (and still have) a Stagg strat copy as my first electric. The hardware is crap, but the thing does play better than it has any right to - once I'd shimmed the neck joint anyway. I guess I must have got lucky with a less-awful one, though I do recall before I shimmed the neck the action was pretty terrible.

I've been toying with the idea of doing a complete hardware replacement on the cheap, just for fun.
i'll 2nd the crap guitar sentiments. had a LP copy for a very brief time that I got in a trade. even with new pickups it was crap. they made it out of alder which isn't very LPish. it sucked and I was glad when I dumped it.
Stagg are little more than a purveyor of cheaply made instruments for an affordable price.

I mean, with a competent setup, and all the other stuff that they cut corners on corrected or replaced, they aren't all that bad, but they aren't hidden gems, by any stretch of the imagination. They are cheap because they are cheap.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Garbage guitars designed to be a cheap buy for parents who just want to shut up the kid and hope that he gets over the "wanna be a rock star" phase quickly.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by Blompcube
I mean, with a competent setup, and all the other stuff that they cut corners on corrected or replaced, they aren't all that bad,
In my experience, they cut corners to the point that they're totally a lost cause.

The amount of work my Stagg would require to make it a decent guitar would entail buying an entirely new body, an entirely new neck, and all new hardware and electronics. Practically not a single meaningful component of the original guitar would remain, except in the ashtray of the fireplace.

They are junk.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
My hihat is a Stagg, and though I had a much bigger budget at the time, I chose it over many others. That was a good 5 years ago and it has served me well. A friend of mine even borrowed it for recordings. It was the cheapest in the shop and I was positively surprised. I suppose it was just a lucky buy.
I'll echo the statement that you shouldn't write off other gear they do because their guitars aren't good. I've heard of the cymbals being decent as well, like h0m0 said. A friend of mine has a Stagg guitar case that's decent and I know someone who gigs with Stagg drum hardware as well. Serves them well.
Tony Done I know what you mean, there are some truly ghastly designs and some not really so appealing.

One of the issues I have is with companies that try to steal the original shapes off of Fender or Gibson and then just fugly them up a bit, but enough so they won't get into hot waters with the trademark owners.
I was going to get a V as a project, since it was so cheap. I decided against it after reading up.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I always avoided Staggs, and had lumped Vintage in with them, but I tried a friend's Vintage SG-copy, and it didn't feel too bad. Didn't plug it in, and didn't play it for more than a couple of minutes, so I can't vouch for it really, but as a base for a project it might work.
luke.g.henderso
I've played a couple of Vintage guitars, they seemed pretty good for the cheap price.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
luke.g.henderso
I've played a couple of Vintage guitars, they seemed pretty good for the cheap price.

I think it's because they're connected to Trev Wilkinson, so they have Wilkinson bridges, tuners, and pickups.
Our mission is to empower and inspire a lifelong journey in music.

Stagg is a brand dedicated to providing exceptional, affordable and reliable musical instruments and accessories to all levels of aspiring musicians.

Established in Belgium in 1995, Stagg gets you playing.

*blink*
Back in my first year of playing I nearly bought one of their basses because it was second hand for £50. I would not do so now. However, some of their their other equipment (stands and suchlike) tends to be decent in my experience.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i