I've been listening to the same bands and albums for years now, and although they are still great, I don't get that same feeling listening to their music- it almost feels a little dull. The main stuff I listen to is Dream Theater, Pantera, Megadeth, Metallica, Yngwie Malmsteen and a little Ozzy Osborne but you will find me listening to a few songs from basically every big metal band from the 70s to 90s. I don't like super heavy vocals or screaming, Pantera is about as heavy as I like before I just find it too over the top. I have tried to branch out and listen to other bands that I wouldn't normally enjoy such as Opeth and Avenged Sevenfold. I do like a few songs from them but listening through their albums, most of their stuff just isn't for me.
I will probably enjoy any band that has great guitar work with relatively tame vocals and I will try to be as open minded as possible. Thanks a lot in advance.
Try anything by Steven Wilson. My personal favorite album of his is The Raven that Refused to Sing.
To the depths in degradation by Infester just got rereleased although I forget which label is putting it out. You should pick it up before it runs out of stock.
Here's a piece of advice that you can take or leave: Try to get used to the heavy vocals in metal. I grew up in the 80s and of course listened to the "Big 4" extensively as well as hair metal and 70s metal. I liked the song structures, riffing styles, and even the heaviest sounds -- but at that time vocals were still pretty subdued except for some underground bands. I didn't get into death/black/heavier styles of metal until much later, because of the vocals. But after a point, it's extremely limiting to restrict yourself to clean(ish) vocals, and you will eventually burn out on the genre if you can't branch out. For a long time, I quit pursuing metal because, like you, I'd heard the same old things thousands of times and it was getting stale. Finally, a friend introduced me to black metal and death metal again, and after a learning period -- I finally "got" the vocal style and saw it as another crucial piece to the orchestration of the music. And now there's no looking back. There's a world of great metal music out there, you just have to develop a taste for it.
I really love bands that have clean as well as harsh vocals. A few that come to mind are As I lay Dying, Killswitch Engage (obviously), and War of Ages. If you're really adverse to lots of harsh vocals, the Disturbed, Breaking Benjamin, 3 Years Hollow, and Amaranthe would be my first choices. They aren't obscure bands in the slightest, but maybe it'll help
Try some groovy death/thrash from Finland. The vocals are harsh, but the music is pretty accessible, yet heavy.

weren't these threads "forbidden" back in the day ?? Anyways, Crimson Glory and Queensryche you need to check them out if you love the "heavy" and 80's sound.. Beyond that you should check out (for queensryche the operation mindcrime album will blow you away) Tyrant is also a heavy metal band that needs a listen and so are Armored Saint
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Recommended threads
Witherfall
Kytokinesis
Last post:
by Kytokinesis