So I finally got my '07 Schecter Hellraiser A-1 FR in the mail today. It looks absolutely amazing and I'm satisfied with the purchase but the only thing I don't like is that the sound of the guitar is WAY too distorted.

For example, I have a digitech RP!55. I had been playing on my fender squire just fine, and the distortion was perfect. Cleans were there, too.

When I plug my schecter into the EXACT SAME preset on my rp155, it sounds 10x more distorted. When I try to play on a clean a channel, it's still distorted. I can't seem to find a way to make the guitar sound CLEAN, like I could my fender. And what's worse than that, the distortion is so heavy that when I actually WANT it to be distorted, all the guitar's expression is gone and when I palm mute it sounds like a screaming animal.

The pickups are "Duncan Designed", I don't know the exact name. Is there a way to minimize the distortion and get a clean sound when I want it? I really like the guitar's design, but my fender sounded ten times better. I would really like to keep the schecter and it's pickups, but if I have to, I'll buy new pickups.

Should I replace the strings?

Also, one of the locks from my tuning locks is stripped, so I can't get the high E and B strings out.

It's the guitar from this video:

I have a Line 6 Spider ii amp.
Last edited by xMCR.for.Lifex at Feb 14, 2017,
I'd replace the strings if you haven't already in any case.

If you're still having the problem then, perhaps its just that the amount of output these new pickups have vs. your Squier just isn't what you're used to. They will be a lot hotter. Turn the pedal's gain down to compensate.

If the locking nut screw that attaches the E and B strings to the locking nut is stripped because the hex has been rounded out, then try loosening it off by clamping a vice grip around the head of the screw at tightly as possible and undoing it that way. Then buy a new screw.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
The pups in the Schecter are likely very much higher output than what the Squire outputs. You will need to adjust your settings to compensate. Also if the guitar has a battery in it, the signal will be really strong, likely enough to overload the input of either your RP-155 or the Spider entirely. TBH your next purchase should go towards a better amp. Also if your guitar does have a battery, try changing it.
I would start by lowering the pickups. This will send less signal to the amp, and distort less.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by Will Lane
The pups in the Schecter are likely very much higher output than what the Squire outputs. You will need to adjust your settings to compensate. Also if the guitar has a battery in it, the signal will be really strong, likely enough to overload the input of either your RP-155 or the Spider entirely. TBH your next purchase should go towards a better amp. Also if your guitar does have a battery, try changing it.

yeah the pickups are likely way hotter which is no surprise. you can't expect different guitars to sound the same through the same amp settings (or in your case a preset). you may find that if you are playing thru a computer tha the pickups are to hot for you to get a good clean. turn down the volume knob on the guitar some and you may find that helps.
I'm thinking the signal is too hot as well. Rolling the volume down may help but I'm not sure how that affects the tone on those pickups - never used them or any Duncan Actives.

Lowering the pickups is doing the same thing - decreasing the signal - again not sure how that will affect the tone.

If you were using EMG's I'd suggest running them at 18V to increase the headroom.

Mincer - Does the 18V trick work with the Duncans too?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee

Mincer - Does the 18V trick work with the Duncans too?

Nope. The 9v Blackouts have more headroom than the EMGs at 18v. There won't be any difference running the Blackouts at 18v.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Mincer Thanks! Good to know!
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .