Hey guys,

Excuse my ignorance but I am looking for some advice and hoping you good folk can help me out. I am a tenor guitar player who is looking to get into the world of the six string, and I have my eye on two guitars and I'm not sure which one would better suit my needs. I'm looking at a 1970s Japanese Greco Les Paul or a modern ECT LTD Deluxe 1000T. The Les Paul is $50 cheaper but the cost is not an issue.

Is there a clear winner between the two or is it a matter of taste and playing style? I like blues, hard rock and metal. I am currently playing a Warren Ellis electric tenor which has four strings and a narrow neck, which is very comfortable for me. Are the necks on the two guitars above the same width?

Please help, I am clueless when it comes to guitars!

Thanks,
Steeplemouth
need more info on 70s Greco. if it is a set neck with a maple cap then I'd go for the Greco . the LTD is a nice guitar so you can't lose with getting that one.
Well with the old lawsuit Japanese made Lawsuit guitars of the 70's its more of a gotta have one cause I collect them. Found a killer deal, or you found one in grandpas attic type of deal.
So here's the deal, The Japanese were copying US manufactures at the time down to the T, Problem was they were making them just as well or better than the US manufactures were at the time at half the price. So naturally some feathers were ruffled when US sales declined,
Google Gibson Ibanez Lawsuit. lots of good reading there. Although nothing really came of it and the Japanese manufactures beat the system by just making some cosmetic changes, and life went on. And to be honest the only significant thing that came from it is your paying about 4 to 5 times what it sold for new back in the 70's some 40+ years later. Considering in inflation and all.
But don't get me wrong, some of these old Graco's Hondo's, Ibanez and several others were just as good if not better than the Gibson's and Fenders they were copying. Although with 70's Fender's that wasn't hard to do. Just so much lacquered firewood in my opinion, And the Gibson's weren't all that much better, But you need to really know what your looking at if buying a vintage Japanese guitar, As some can be butchered up cyborgs that only look like vintage guitars, and the people selling them? Yea you know what kind of people I'm talking about. Personally I wouldn't touch it if I were you, Or at least not until you get a good education in guitars and how to spot a good one from a bad one,
As to neck? Personally I give neck shape, profile and radius about as much thought as I do how many grains of sugar I put in my morning coffee, Yea looks like about 1/4 teaspoon, Works for me, And a Japanese made LP copy? Oh My! wonder what vintage of LP neck they copied on that puppy, Its not like Gibson hasn't been kicking that old work horse for the last 60 years or so, They've changed that neck more times than Ford has cars, Everything from V to C to D to U and some variation of in between sense as long as I can remember, Ok so I cant remember what I had for breakfast this morning but that's a different story.
So I guess what I'm trying to say is If you want a single cutaway LP style guitar the ESP is your better option if you just want a daily player, If you want a case queen that may continue to go up in value the next 20 years if really lucky and you don't play the crap out of it and keep in pristine original condition then the Graco could be the way to go, Hey I got a few guitars like that, Take them out of the case and people ask me what they are, I just tell them money, My daily players? I don't have one older than 2005, And I'm thinking about selling them off for new replacements
we need some of pics of this greco. if its a bolt on neck, then take a pass. but post pics either way.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Thanks a lot for the info guys, much appreciated. It is a bolt on neck and I've got some pictures not sure how to post them on here. But based on the above I think I'll go for the ESP. The guy selling the LP has knocked another $100 off it so I'd be paying $150 more for the ESP but I think that is the safer option. Thanks again.
As the owner of a LTD EC-1000T (CTM version in black), I say go for it. It's a sexy guitar!
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by Steeplemouth
Thanks a lot for the info guys, much appreciated. It is a bolt on neck and I've got some pictures not sure how to post them on here. But based on the above I think I'll go for the ESP. The guy selling the LP has knocked another $100 off it so I'd be paying $150 more for the ESP but I think that is the safer option. Thanks again.
How much was the guy asking for the Greco? >$300? For a Les Paul that doesn't even have a set neck? Gimme a break.

Yet another case of people throwing around the term 'lawsuit' just because it's a guitar from the 70's that has a Japanese brand on it. Very, very few Japanese LP copies can be considered true 'lawsuit' guitars. And even calling those guitars 'lawsuit' is a misnomer because no lawsuits ever actually took place; the design of those guitars the Japanese were making had changed before Gibson ever took them to court.

Not to mention that Japan was making LP's varying from nicer than the Gibsons they were copying to what was infamously known as 'Jap Crap'. Not all MIJ LP's made at that time were created equal.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee