Hey guys, I've been wanting to upgrade the gawdawful Sheffield speaker in my 1 X 12 cab for a long time now, and finally have it in my budget to upgrade. To clarify, it is a pretty large 1 X 12 closed back cab I made from my Peavey 6505+ 112 after converting that amp into a head. I normally use my 412 cab with all of my heads at home and more serious performances, but would like to start using the 112 cab a bit more. I am a school teacher and play for the kids from time to time and don't relish taking my 412 back and forth from home to school and recitals, as it weighs over 100 pounds, lol.

The amp I'll be using with this cab most often is a Peavey Classic 30 head. For that amp, my primary concern is good clean tones and a nice rock crunch tone. However, I kind of want this cab to be able to handle my 120 watt 6505 head, so I'm kind of leaning toward high-wattage speakers. In my 412 I've got Eminence Swamp Thangs and Governors in an X-pattern, and that combo SLAYS for metal and hard rock. However, I'd like something a bit different in my 112 combo, for variety's sake.

Will I be doing the Classic 30 a disservice by running such a high-wattage speaker like the Eminence V12? Or would it be better to run a lower wattage speaker with that amp? It does sound very nice through my 412, but maybe the tone could improve with the right speaker.

How does the Legend V12 compare to the other two speakers I have (Governor and Swamp Thang)? What attracts me to the Legend is the price is right ($65), and I'm pretty sure it will be a huge improvement over the Sheffield currently installed in the cab. Thanks for your time!

Here's a link to the speaker I'm looking at:
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
The V12 is going to be most similar to your Emi Governor. Even then, it's different. Smoother, more balanced, bigger low-end.

If it helps... Soldano used Legend V12 speakers with the SLO. Would probably pair nicely with both amps.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
You mean V1216 don't you? Those are the SLO speakers. I have two in my RM100. It came with Celestion G12T75's. The SLO modules I use sound better through the V1216's. The Fender modules sound worse. Marshall module, both work well for that.
I would imagine that V30's would sound better with my Fender module (tweed Bassman) in my RM100. It does when I run the Fender module through the V30 in my RM20. TBH I prefer the V30 for everything except my SLO tones. So if you are chasing SLO tones, go V1216; for everythng else, V30.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cathbard

I assumed that he would be using a 16 ohm speaker for an extension cab with his Peavey Classic 30. The V12 comes in either V1216 or V128 depending upon ohm rating desired.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Yes, it is the 16 ohm version I'm looking at. If it can make my Classic 30 sound like an SLO, then I've already ordered it.

Honestly, I haven't quite figured out my c30 yet. It is quite sensitive to tube changes and it seems that if I find a tube configuration that improves the cleans then it's too bright when overdriven, and if I find something that takes the harshness off the overdrive it's too dark and bassy on the cleans. It does improve when I push the volume-- hence my plan to use it with a 112 cab instead of a 412. My 120 watt 6505 sounds better at TV volumes than the Classic 30...

Maybe the Emi v12 will be the secret sauce?
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Feb 15, 2017,
I haven't tried the governor, but the v12s sound to my ears like mellower V30s (and with more of an eminence family type of sound- more lower mids?).

the governor is eminence's take on the v30, isn't it? I'm guessing it's not exact, and I would suspect the v12 isn't exactly the same as ThunderPunk said, but if you want something totally different...

I'm not sure it'd be my choice for the tones you want (plus the amp), either- I wouldn't worry too much about the wattage thing, it's just the overall tone.

EDIT: there's a bunch of other legends which should sound different and which should be a similar price... i haven't tried any of the other high-wattage legends, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It won't make it sound like a SLO, they just go well with SLO's.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ Yeah. I like them with my jet city. But they (probably) are a more modern, smoother type of speaker that works well with higher gain tones... not sure that's what he wants. Granted, I'm pretty conservative when it comes to speakers, I tend to prefer the type of speakers which are known to work well with certain amp types.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?