Any ideas for a inexpensive amp that sounds pretty nice. I play stuff by nirvana, Black Sabbath, Green Day. With a squier strat through a fender frontman 10 g amp. Don't mind new or use. My nearest guitar shop is guitarguitar in Epsom. My budget is about 50 quid
Last edited by Gg52 at Feb 15, 2017,
The answer to this can change from week to week, depending on what you budget is and how you're playing. If you're playing for yourself and learning, and you have a computer or PS 3 or 4 or Xbox 360 or Xbox One, you could try Rocksmith. It will be a good learning tool and you don't spend a lot of $$ in gear. If you are playing by yourself, and you're just using your stereo or computer and need a desktop amp, the Blackstar Fly 3 https://www.blackstaramps.com/uk/products/fly-3 for $60 is great. It's about the size of a box of tissues, and it sounds great. If you're looking for a little more, then the new modeling amps from Line 6, Marshall, Fender, Boss, and others are a good place to look.

Outwith a budget, what you're going to do with it, etc, there's not much I can tell you. The difference between what I would suggest for a person sitting along jamming to tracks and someone gigging with a drummer are two different things. Hope that helps.
I'm not sure what the price in quid is, but it's about the same, if I'm not mistaken for the Blackstar Fly 3. That's if you're looking for an amp that you're playing by yourself. I can tell you right now, that for under $100, that's got to be the best amp out there, Gg52. If you're playing along with YouTube videos or MP3's, that amp will be more than enough. You have to buy the power supply separately if you don't have access to batteries, but it really does last a long time on a set of AA's. You'd be surprised how loud and good that amp sounds. Probably the best little practice amp made, and that's not just me, that comes from many folks.

Just checked Anderton's site (they are in Guildford, Sully, UK) and it comes in at 59.99 quid. https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/FLY3/combo-amps/blackstar-fly-3-mini-amp Check out any of the YouTube videos or reviews on this thing. 5 stars all around. It was one of Guitar Nerds gear of the year for 2015, and no one has knocked it out yet. Don't get fooled by the cool looking Fender or Marshall toys. The Blackstar Fly 3 is excellent. I'm going to try to link a couple of videos for you.

If not this, maybe a used Fender Mustang I. That will at least be in your price range, and it's actually a great little amp for the size and $$. It's more money new, but you might be able to find one used in your price range.

Good luck, and I hope I helped, Gg52 .

-- Jim
Give the Blackstar videos a listen, Gg52. I didn't pick and choose good ones, those were the top three that came up on a search YouTube. In your price range, you should be able to get the amp, you only need a few more quid. If you're playing by yourself, this is fine. You can plug in an mp3 player, you can play along with your computer or boom box, you can plug those into it and use headphones if it's late and you have to worry about neighbors. If you're playing with other people, and there's drums and amps and all that... That's a different thing. If you're alone, this really is the amp for you. Give a few minutes and watch the videos.

Do yourself a favor, go to Epsom. I looked, and they have the amp there and in stock: http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_amps_detail.asp?stock=14110315345758 according to their web site. It doesn't matter if you can play. Bring a set of ear buds or headphones and sit down and just strum. Bring your guitar as well. That way, even if you don't like the BS, you can talk to them about something else they have used. Their cheapest listing is a Line 6 Micro Spider http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_amps_detail.asp?stock=PX161208304898004, and that's a little more money.

I really think you'll be happy with a Blackstar, but don't take my word for it, go down there and give it a go. Having played since the 70's, I can tell you that you'd be surprised at the tones you'll get out of this thing. I'll be frank. You want to play Black Sabbath, Nirvana, and Green Day, and 2 of them were mostly using humbuckers, so you want something that can really give those single coils a punch.

So many people who are new to distorted sounds run to the over compressed crunch of something like a Line 6 Spider, then they find out that they're missing something. What you find out is that distortion is different from compressed fuzz that they use to simulate it.

I look forward to hearing how things went. I wish you the very best. Rock on!
GoldJim thanks, I bough a guitar in guitarguitar the other day and they just let u go into a room and play. to great. I'm going to havsleep to wait a bit to get tha money but I'll have it soon hopefully. I've listened to them and it sounds pretty nice.
Gg52 With a budget that small, I would suggest to save up your money to get something more worthwhile. If you can find a Peavey Vypyr on the used market that would be my only suggestion, really. The Blackstar Fly is okay for what it is but it is not something I would ever really recommend.