Page 2 of 2
the best marshall tube amp you can afford. its pretty much the staple for three chord punk.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Just by-passing some of the constructive posts to dig into the other arguments about 'punk gear' going on at the top of the thread.

I can understand how in the late 70's, 80's, and even into part of the 90's, your average teenager and early 20's musicians playing smokey piss covered venues would have to 'run what ya brung' as far as getting your hands on gear goes. You were stuck with what you could find at your local mom and pop shop or in the classified ads in the newspaper. Today, that is no longer the case.

There is no excuse for that shit in this day and age if you live in a country with access to the internet and a sizable population of musicians buying and selling equipment. There is a lot of really good equipment out there that can be had at very reasonable prices both new and used. Nobody needs to run a crate solid-state amp anymore... for any reason... ever..... EVER. Pretending it is punk rock to buy a cheap shit rig is a waste of money. Wasting money on shit equipment and claiming that as status just means you're an ignorant ass who needs a reason to pretend their 'punk cock' is bigger than someone else's.

That being said.

Get this and call it a day.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_100hdm_bundle_2.htm
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Thanks for the feedback, I do like the look of the Jet City
Last edited by solclayton2000 at Feb 16, 2017,
Unfortunately, the DLS40C is a bit out of my price range. As for the Crush, I've heard it can be lost in a band mix?
I prefer the tone of tube but find the reliability and lack maintenance attractive with the Crush.
Heard a couple of reviews saying that the Jet City has the cheapest build quality. I could go with the 50w version.
Really I just want the best for gigging, recording and bedroom practising with a mid pushed, punchy bright punk tone.
Cheers
solclayton2000

Jet City amps are very well built, and the HDM models are their top of the line / flagship. Has a nearly 5 star rating on Thomann.

The cab is going to be well built also, flexible, and the Eminence speakers will pretty much be V12 speakers which are used with the Soldano SLO cabs.

(JCA24S+ features two 12" Eminence custom speakers, removable rear panels, and an integrated MicSim speaker-emulated output. Mic the custom-voiced Eminence drivers traditionally or take the MicSim output directly to the board via XLR. The 24S+ has a 1/4″ Thru output that allows you to power a second cabinet in parallel, a convertible back baffle that allows for closed or partially open-back operation and switchable mono/stereo operation. All of this in a high-quality all-plywood cabinet.)

For the price, you really can't beat it. An Orange Crush isn't going to sound anywhere near as good and you'll be kicking yourself in the ass a year from now after buying it.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
monwobobboTrue, but that was just part of the punk anti-virtuoso rhetoric. The fact of the matter is that as soon as they could afford (or in Jonesy's case was available to steal) decent gear they bought it and used it. Nobody here claiming that punks used shit gear have come up with one single example of a pro punk band that actually did it. They are simply regurgitating the same old rhetoric, a rhetoric that was never really true. in the first place
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
monwobobboTrue, but that was just part of the punk anti-virtuoso rhetoric. The fact of the matter is that as soon as they could afford (or in Jonesy's case was available to steal) decent gear they bought it and used it. Nobody here claiming that punks used shit gear have come up with one single example of a pro punk band that actually did it. They are simply regurgitating the same old rhetoric, a rhetoric that was never really true. in the first place

I hear you. what musicians choose to use crap if they don't have to. some of the stuff that did get used by the original punks was considered "2nd rate" I mean who uses Mosrite guitars anymore?
But he ran those Mosrites into a JCM800.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Even East Bay Ray used good amps (modded Fenders). Sure he then set about destroying that tone with a pedal but still, he wasn't using a frggin Bandit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Tim Armstrong recorded the OpIvy album iwth a triple rec.
That's super DIY. Punk Rawk.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
AcousticMirror Not sure if it's like import costs but everything Mesa Boogie is very expensive over here, cheapest Mini Rec is about £1300
Last edited by solclayton2000 at Feb 17, 2017,
So its coming down to 3 amps:

Marshall DSL40C - 5 recommendations (or at least for a Marshall)
Pros: Good tone, 40w tube will be plently loud, staple punk amp sound
Cons: pretty Expensive, Combo (heavy, maybe not a great speaker), I've heard the ultra gain can be bad on DSL's

Orange CR120H - 7 recommendations
Pros: 120w SS hella loud, good tone, solid state means no tube replacements, servicing or whatever, being SS can go quiet with a lot of gain so good for home practice
Cons: Might not be as good for recording as its SS

Jet City 100HDM - 4 recommendations
Pros: 100w tube hella loud, good tube tone,
Cons: Might be too loud for home use or even overkill for gigs?

If you had to pick one what would it be? Cheers
If those are my only choices, Marshall. But I'd want to play the Orange again just to make sure. You should def do the same before you make your choice. Personally I like a nice bright tone, and it can be hard to get out of a high gain SS amp.
Dsl40C as you would eventually get there. You most likely won't need another amp, as that's something a pro might use.

The Crush is a good amp, mind you, but it does have some unpleasant fiss that seems to bug me a touch. If you crank mids you won't get lost in a mix.

Any chance finding DSL head and a 2x12? You should look used.

Do they sell Tech21 TM60 in your area? That's a fantastic analog ss modeling amp.
Unfortunately living in the south west, most good preowned stuff is in the London side of the country. Only DSL's I can find near me are a
JCM 2000-DSL 401 Dual Super Lead combo for £300 and a
JCM2000 DSL Dual Super Lead Head for £350 and a
JCM2000 50DSL with Marshall 1936 2x12 cab
I like the 401 combo better than the new DSL40C as is Brit built with better components, maybe touch more vintage sounding.

They're all good options, the head can be paired with Harley Benton 2x12 (the UK forumites should help which model), or the last one separates head from amp so you should be able to transport more easily.
It all depends on whether you want a Marshall tone or a Soldano one. Personally, I'd probably go with a Jet City but I quite like Soldanos.
The JCM2000's are better than the new DSL's but make sure it's made after 2003. The earlier ones need the rectifier upgraded or else they overheat.

I wouldn't touch a CR120 with your dick.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Feb 17, 2017,
Cathbard I also like Soldano amps...I've played a few Soldano heads and every once in a while want to sell it all for one of them, but with all respect Jet City is "Soldano-inspired" at best...not that it is a bad amp.

The CR120 is not the most pleasant amp but for punk it might actually sound cool, it has that nasty throat buzzy attack that might just make it his signature tone, like say Dimebag got his.
/But they are fairly close to a SLO, just cheaper components. They do have a Soldano type tone to them. The DSL isn't a JCM800 either but it has a similar tone. Smae idea. It all depends on what you want. If you can't afford an actual SLO it is the next best thing if you are chasing that type of tone. Well apart from perhaps an RM100 with Jaded Faith SLO modules of course; that's the way I went. I can't afford a real SLO either.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by diabolical
Cathbard I also like Soldano amps...I've played a few Soldano heads and every once in a while want to sell it all for one of them, but with all respect Jet City is "Soldano-inspired" at best...not that it is a bad amp.

The CR120 is not the most pleasant amp but for punk it might actually sound cool, it has that nasty throat buzzy attack that might just make it his signature tone, like say Dimebag got his.

Except for the 20 they are all exactly the same circuit as the avenger. Oh and the 50 watt reverb which is a lucky 13

Thanks a lot for the input guys, thanks to you all I've managed to get it down to 2 amps.

2nd hand Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 Head + 1936 2x12" Cab (Celestion G12T75's), + channel switching footswitch,
Brit made, has reverb, Its very local and £500

or a

Jet City 100HDM + Harley Benton V30 2x12" Cab, I'd get them both off thomann of course for £550
you should play them. the jcm is more versatile and you should be able to dial in all sorts of stuff if you really wanted too.
the jet city only does like 2 things but it does them very well. I think it's the better sounding amp. But the jcm does more stuff.

Picked up a JCM 2000 DSL 50 Head today, 2005 Brit model so no issues, prev. owner replaced tubes a year ago and came with a mint 1936 2x12" cab with the Celestion G12-75's in. It's sounds pretty killer, a guy not too far away was also selling one of the newer DSL 100H's but it was a bit more pricey, less local and its Vietnamese made. Only things better were the resonance knob and extra wattage but I dont need those anyway. So far I'm liking the amp, just trying to find a good sound, too much gain gets kinda buzzy, any one have any suggestions? Cheers
DSL is not a bad choice but it's nothing like a JCM 800 sound wise, I mean maybe you could blag it close to a JCM 900 but the JCM800 is a different beast. DSL is quite high gain, quite compressed sounding out of the box where as the JCM800 has a bit more dynamics and needs to be pushed harder to get the most from it. I mean JCM800 is halfway between vintage and modern (more the former) Marshall where as the DSL pretty much cemented in the modern sound.

JCM800 is the amp I'd choose, but then the DSL is going to serve you well too.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Mar 4, 2017,
solclayton2000

What brand tubes are in the preamp section?

You may want to consider swapping out one of your G12T-75 speakers for a Vintage 30. The G12T-75 speakers are kinda scooped and fizzy/spikey sounding.
Bigbazz JCM 800s are quite out of my price range, I got the JCM 2000 for a great price plus the cab

ThunderPunk I had heard that, could help, thanks for the advice, think the tubes are a matched set for the amp from Watford Valves
Quote by solclayton2000
Bigbazz JCM 800s are quite out of my price range, I got the JCM 2000 for a great price plus the cab

ThunderPunk I had heard that, could help, thanks for the advice, think the tubes are a matched set for the amp from Watford Valves

Yeah it's a good choice the DSL but obviously not the same kinda beast as the JCM800. Cranking the gain up giving it a more buzzy sound is common with the DSL but it does have a lot more gain available than you should really use, so try to dial it back and experiment with an OD pedal perhaps. To top it off as mentioned the cab is also naturally scooped with big lows and clear highs but without a cutting mid sound, I know it all too well as I have a 1960A with the same speakers.

My suggestion is to get an EQ pedal for the FX loop.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Mar 4, 2017,
I'd say at this point hold off on tube swaps, especially speaker changes. For starters crank up the master volume a bit more and decrease the gain, start playing from there. Also don't be afraid to use the tone knob on the guitar if it is too bright.
Page 2 of 2