Just 2 questions I have. Is it supposed to be easier to palm mute on an electric guitar with a fixed bridge? Seems like it shouldn't make much of a difference, but I'd be interested in what others have to say. Also, should let your fingers be slack, or tight in a fist? Again I'm just watching videos and hearing different advice.
I play a floating bridge guitar and I tend to lightly palm damp the wound strings for every note and chord I play... with no trouble at all.
I use a loose pick grip with my fingers open and relaxed. I play in a way that catches a lot of guitarist's attention because I'm self taught and developed my own form over time that works well for jazz and blues.

But the thing is, for every different technique of doing something on the guitar there are players that use it and have mastered it. To discover if a particular technique will work for you, it has to be tried and given a chance, which means really using it for a few months or more... not just a few minutes or hours.
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
Quote by bboyrocker1
Is it supposed to be easier to palm mute on an electric guitar with a fixed bridge?

It shouldn't really make a difference, at least in terms of bridge setup. But between electric and acoustic, I've often found that I feel a little more awkward when palm muting an acoustic. Maybe it's just me.
Quote by bboyrocker1
Also, should let your fingers be slack, or tight in a fist?

You should always be as relaxed as possible, whatever that means to you. Just let your fingers naturally fall where they may.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.