Page 1 of 2
What can be considered an intermediate guitarist? I'm going to post what I think one is after a few replies. I just don't want the replies to be based on what I said.
Intermediate guitarists suck less than beginners but more than advanced.
If you have to ask, you probably aren't one
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Depends on what you call a skill in terns of playing.
Insane technical skill but no knowledge of music literacy would make someone a good guitarist, but approaching uselessness in a group setting. So there's guitarmanship (and apparently a new word in the world maybe) and musicianship and they aren't mutually exclusive.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Someone who knows more than just the intro riff for Smoke on the Water
someone who can play a selection of open chords, some bar chords, some simple riffs, and a few pentatonic licks
It most likely means you've held a guitar for 6 months.

Many, many beginners feel they're 'intermediate'
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Sounds good, sounds good.
Maybe high expectations, but I am aiming for this before I can call myself intermediate

Intermediate - played for 1250 hours of gradually more difficult practice or 1-2 years
moderate amount of theory learnt
'capable' of playing most songs, learning songs at this stage is very quick due to the speed generated through technical elements already.
Be able to play several scales in different patterns on the fretboard, rhythms, create short licks using them
Adequate with usage in songs with various techniques; hammer ons, pull offs, bends etc
Know about 40 chords and able to change between them at 50bpm? xD I hate chords like Anakin hates sand
You've been playing long enough that an audience would feel comfortable throwing things at you.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by ballajoe010
Sounds good, sounds good.
Maybe high expectations, but I am aiming for this before I can call myself intermediate

Intermediate - played for 1250 hours of gradually more difficult practice or 1-2 years
'capable' of playing most songs, learning songs at this stage is very quick due to the speed generated through technical elements already.
Be able to play several scales in different patterns on the fretboard, rhythms, create short licks using them
Adequate with usage in songs with various techniques; hammer ons, pull offs, bends etc
Know about 40 chords and able to change between them at 50bpm? xD I hate chords like Anakin hates sand
This pretty firmly pegs you as a beginner tbh.

EVERYTHING builds off chords.
Quote by ballajoe010
Know about 40 chords and able to change between them at 50bpm?
Man, I don't know or know how to do any of this and I'm way past intermediate. Probably better if everyone did learn that stuff, but in my case, it's not necessarily necessary.

Imo intermediate just means you know a good amount of certain techniques but have yet to master them. Someone who knows what to play but is still in the learning stage of how to do them the way that's best for him/her.
Ex: Knowing how to play a chord but still figuring out the finger positions that work best for them.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Feb 16, 2017,
Quote by ballajoe010
slapsymcdougal And... chords are based off single notes
While I recognise you're being sarcastic, chords are made from single notes, but they're not based on single notes.

See also: a pile of stones can be built into a drystone wall, but a pile of stones is not a drystone wall.
slapsymcdougal lol jk to the previous reply. But seriously, though, those things seem pretty decent, maybe 50-60 chords probably. IMO having 40 is enough to cover a short enough range(if this makes sense) in an octave to not be that much different to playing a larger range of chords to the ears of a non-musical listener.
To reiterate, I couldn't even tell you a single chord without looking it up because I'm self taught and never bothered to learn.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by ballajoe010
slapsymcdougal lol jk to the previous reply. But seriously, though, those things seem pretty decent, maybe 50-60 chords probably. IMO having 40 is enough to cover a short enough range(if this makes sense) in an octave to not be that much different to playing a larger range of chords to the ears of a non-musical listener.
The thing is, what do you mean by 'knowing chords'?

Are you counting F major, F# major, G major etc as individual chords, even though - played as a barre - they're the same shape just moved up the neck? Because - let's be honest - that's padding numbers.
slapsymcdougal Depends, I'm not exactly sure the theory behind unique barre chord shapes yet, I only know the F major. Power barre chords definitely not counted. Gtg 6 10am here :/
Quote by TobusRex
If your guitar costs less than $1000 you are a beginner.

If your guitar costs more than $1000 you paid too much.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
When you stop confusing your wang and your wang bar.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
Quote by theogonia777
If your guitar costs more than $1000 you paid too much.

Says THE BEGINNER!!!!!!
We are all beginners in the Holy Vais eyes.

It's all about relative context, really. If you can perform what you write to a high standard, you're 'good' in practical terms. This can be anything though and there's always relative levels of skill in bands by genre.

This is why actual virtuosos try to learn absolutely everything so they can play absolutely everything but few styles of music call for actual virtuosos.
And obviously this is compounded by the problem of potentially not knowing what you want to do with your skills.

But if we're going to try to actually define it, It'd still be dependent on the genre you're playing. I'd consider myself an 'intermediate' technical death metal guitarist, because I can write and play songs and solos like this to a decent degree:

@3:06

@3:42

However, I could never play an Iron Maiden song or an Ed Sheeran song, simply because, even if they're significantly less challenging to learn and play, they're just not realms of skill that I'm prepared for (or care about learning but that's more of a compounding effect of just not playing them).
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by TobusRex
Says THE BEGINNER!!!!!!

I'll have you know that I have played in front of crowds of people that would have gladly thrown things at me.
Quote by theogonia777
I'll have you know that I have played in front of crowds of people that would have gladly thrown things at me.

Tomatoes don't count.....
And plumbers don't wear ties...
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Quote by TobusRex
Tomatoes don't count.....

I'm talking potatoes here.
Pretty much everyone who posts in the Pit. Most of us have decent chops and understanding of particular styles (metal, blues, jazz, etc) but we're not THAT amazing yet. Many of us haven't picked up a guitar in weeks, months because we're not Pros, and because EDM is the cool thing to do now (imo)
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by theogonia777
I'm talking potatoes here.
That's not a nice way to talk about the people who paid to see you play.
I think an intermediate guitarist is one that sounds good when playing. The chord changes are fluid, the tempo is precise, the single notes dont sound out of tune because of pressing to hard or accidently bending them, the bends sound in tune, and the whole thing just feels "fluid" or whatever, not forced, like you see with many begginers. But there is not flashy sweeps, very advanced chords or weird theory involved yet. Thats what i consider an intermediate guitarist in any genre.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

If they are gonna throw things then I don't care. They can stay home next time.
If you can play comfortably without struggling whether alone or in a group setting and have the ability to move fairly effortlessly around the fretboard whether it be chords or notes/scales/patterns etc. If you have good timing and picking technique and can pick up songs quickly when being shown by another or from tabs and can successfully play in a band setting I'd say you are intermediate.

Theory helps but I know a good deal of intermediate and or better than intermediate players (including myself) that are self taught and know very little if any theory.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by ballajoe010

TROUnation
Idk where else to put it, I was going to in technique
Nah, man it was bad a joke that I made, its the semi-right place in here, plus you wouldn't have gotten any answers if you posted this in techniques.
I think if you can play Smoke on the Water with one finger only on the low E string, then you can at least call yourself intermediate, if not virtuosic.
I made 100$ for a gig, so I'm the lowest standard of a PRO. Intermediate would be anyone with less skills then me!

On a serious note, I think people range so much with skill its hard to judge. I have a buddy who can noodle some solos out and sounds great, but can't play a song front to back to save his life. So while I think some of his skills are intermediate, I still consider him a noob.
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '95 Fender MIM Strat
Helix Rack, Jetcity JCA50H w/ JCA24s+
Quote by slapsymcdougal

If I was you, I think I'd murder Mel Gibson. Braveheart and all. Oh, I'm Longshanks first cousin, 22 times removed, btw. You Scottish bastard. Of course I have a Scotsman in the family tree as near as my Great Grandfather. So, I'm at least 1/8 scottish. Can you believe that bullshit? I mean I'm related to THE FUCKING LEGENDARY KING OF ENGLAND LONGSHANKS...but my more near ancestor is a Scottish butcher who, by legend, ground up his thumb by accident and sold it as fucking hamburger.

Life is a bitter motherfucker.

The interesting thing is there are over 20 million people in the world as closely related to Longshanks as myself. That dude must've fucked ANYTHING THAT MOVED. As for the nomer "Longshanks"...well, all I have to do is look down and I see why he got that.
Page 1 of 2