Hello guys.

This is my first post. I dont know if i opened it in the right section. If i didn't, sorry in advance.

Actually the problem is not exactly about tuning. It's something i can't name, maybe you can name it.

The problem is, i have a fender stratocaster and i used to use cheap tuners that you usually put in the end of the head. Whenever i used it and did the proper tuning, it always sounded wrong. To get the right tuning, i had to make low E string too much flat, A string a little flat, D and G works fine (maybe slightly wrong but not a dealbreaker), B string a little sharp and high E string too much sharp. As you see there is a connection between the amount of flats and sharps but i thought that was the tuner.

Recently i purchased Line 6 HD500x, used the tuner inside it and i'm still having the same problem so clearly it wasn't the tuner. I don't know how to search about it, i thought maybe one of you guys could help me.

What can cause the problem, any ideas?

Thank you.
Your intonation might be way of.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
I just asked a luthier and he recommended to buy an earvana nut.
If i can't solve this without buying it, i will give it a try and come back with results.
Quote by atza
It probably needs proper setup work

Hi, can you detail it a little bit?
He means that the action, intonation and neck relief have to be setup properly. All of those things can cause tuning problems. Also, the guitar is naturally tuned a bit of, so not all chords sound as good as they should. Its just the nature of the instrument and the tuning systems we use.

If i were you, id get the thing setup by a professional, and if it still doesnt sound in tune, THEN go for the ervana nut.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
baturolla

If the low strings need to be slightly flat and the high strings slightly sharp to sound in tune WHEN PLAYED OPEN UNFRETTED, that is actually normal. The ear's sense of pitch is not strictly registered to pitch frequency... we hear mathematically correct tuning as a little sharp in the low end and a little flat in the high end.
This has been known about for many centuries. Piano tuners have always known about this and use a method of tuning called "German Tuning" in which the lower notes are tuned down progressively flatter and the higher notes tuned up progressively sharper, so the overall keyboard sounds in tune from top to bottom.
On the guitar, this adjustment to the tuning is called "Sweetened Tuning". Some fancy electronic tuners have a setting for it; others allow you to tune to it by ear and save those adjustments as a setting for future tuning.

Of course, if there really is a mechanical / geometric problem with the nut or the bridge so that the string lengths are not right for the finger board scale length, then attempting any kind of tuning is going to have you going in circles. If you know how to check and adjust intonation, you must do that first.

The fact that you noticed this means you have a good ear and may want to explore Sweetened tuning. Once intonation and any other issues are sorted out, you can approach sweetened tuning by using this method:

Verify that the plain open E string is correct pitch.
Match the B string fretted at the 5th fret to the open E.
Match the G string at the 9th fret to the open E.
Match the D at the 14th to open E.
Match the A at the 19th to open E.
Match the low wound E string at the 5th harmonic to the open E.

This method is very good for lead players because it accounts for the variation in string widths with respect to the sounded string lengths when playing up the neck, and it automatically includes the Sweetened tuning compensation. It also allows a high speed tuning method for stage and studio recording - it only uses one pitch, so it works well among distractions on a noisy stage in a noisy venue playing background music, etc. It literary only takes three seconds to verify tuning and only a couple more seconds to adjust tuning. If your prime focus is lead playing, more things you play will sound more in tune using this method than any other.
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
Last edited by PlusPaul at Feb 17, 2017,