My fingers aren't fat, but every time I play on the top 3 strings, I can't find a way to not touch the string below it. Kinda messes up the chords. The problem is mainly with my middle and ring fingers. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
- Stephen F. Roberts
This is hard to explain on a board. Best if you check out some YouTube beginner videos, like at Justin Guitar. I'll try.

This takes practice. Try bringing your elbow lower in relation to the neck or raising the neck so it's starting to point upwards at about 45 to 60 degrees. Tilt your wrist forward and try to press straight down. This will be uncomfortable at first, and you will find a more comfortable angle, but this is a good beginning. Make sure you are fretting just behind the fret, not in the middle over the wood. You may be pressing hard and flattening your finger, which in effect, makes it fatter. Also, by pressing just behind the fret, your intonation will be better. When you press in the middle, you will tend to push the strings sharp.

I hope this helps.

Thank you very much! I'll give that a shot.
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
- Stephen F. Roberts