What Do you think will be best for Electric Wizard-Melvins-Early Nirvana,sh Sludge metal?
Gosh!
Any reason those are the only two options?

Budget?

What does the rest of your rig look like?
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Yeah you're kinda limiting yourself...

Out of those two, and I might get flak for this, I honestly think the CR120 would be better. The Jet City sounds awesome, but specifically for that fuzzy kinda sound you're looking for, the CR120 is pretty good. There may be better options of course, depending on your budget and circumstances.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
ThunderPunk
My Budget is 600$
and im building my Rig Right now (I'm Getting stuff as i go, so the 600 is for the head and i'll get money later for a cab n' stuff like that)

dementiacaptain

Thanks For the Recommendation
Gosh!
Just to be clear, you know you won't be able to play the head without a cab right?

Quick question: are you willing to go used?
The cr120h will do doom better, I can attest to that. But if willing to go used, you might be able to get a higher end amp.
With your budget, you could get into an Electro-Harmonix Mig 50 and have room to spare. And even at 50 watts, it will be loud enough to damage your hearing. It's just a re-issue Sovtek. And the Sovtek amps are great for Doom. The 50 cranked with a good fuzz up front will get you sludgy goodness for days. Rat pedal type distortion would help as well.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
ThunderPunk
I have been eyeing Sovtek Mig 50s so The EHX re-issue sounds pretty good (Thanks for bringing that to my attention )
Gosh!
Last edited by jruiz112202 at Feb 17, 2017,
Yeah I had forgotten about the MIG reissue. Great option.
I do have some gas for a Mig... It's a great option.

I tried seeing if I had any doom recorded with my crush, nothing but punk and death metal. All I could find doom wise, was a video I did on my phone the day I brought it home. Even then it was mostly doom in tone

No comparison to the amp in the room or mic'd properly, but I can share with you if you want.
The MIg50 was a Marshall JCM800 clone if not mistaken.

One amp people don't mention for doom is the Ashdown Fallen Angel FA-60 or 40 watt combo. It is a dark JCM800 clone.
On that train of thought, Traynov YCV50B or the YCS100 or YCS50 heads would also work great. Just listing some other options.
diabolical

Mig 50 was a non-master volume Bassman type circuit.
Quote by diabolical
My bad, I remember someone telling me it was jcm800 circuit, maybe Jim Marshall borrowed some of the Bassman? Maybe on the Plexi.

The JTM45 was pretty much directly pulled from the Bassman, but then again the Bassman was pulled from the RCA manual.
I had a Model T for a few years. I still have my Sovtek. If that tells you anything. If it weren't for the doom sludge crowd, the Sunn amps wouldn't command anything on the market.
Quote by ThunderPunk
I had a Model T for a few years. I still have my Sovtek. If that tells you anything. If it weren't for the doom sludge crowd, the Sunn amps wouldn't command anything on the market.

Just imagine , fairly priced,GIANT sunn cabs
Gosh!
also i forgot to ask,how are the cleans on the MIG 50 anyways (i sometimes like play stuff like CCR and The Doors soo yea)
Gosh!