who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
No.

Better thread title would be "Are the Grammys still relevant?"

Also no.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
I think you could have a very long discussion about this and the answer is yes and no.

i mean how does 1989 beat to pimp a butterfly?

when it comes to the televised awards and big ceremony the only value the grammys has is getting a bunch of celebrities in one space for the banter and then watching everyone get mad the next day lol
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
What this suggests is that black people make shitter music than white people

Most of the stuff I listen to is by white people so it makes sense
I have nothing important to say
Quote by JackSaints
What this suggests is that black people make shitter music than white people

Most of the stuff I listen to is by white people so it makes sense

it's cos ur a cracker

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by soundgarden1986
i thought this was gonna be a hal thread tbh

Nah, if it was it'd be titled like:
STOP THE GRAMMYS THEIR SO RACIST FFS!!!!
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
they make some questionable choices sometimes, but Adele beating Beyonce was not one of them
Check out my band Disturbed
No they just have shit taste and cater toward the masses
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by ElMaco
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38982994

In the last 10 years, only one black musician has won the coveted album of the year award: Herbie Hancock, whose 2008 album, River, was a collection of covers of songs by the white folk singer, Joni Mitchell.

Discuss

As a general rule, everything is racist.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Herbie is a Volkswagen not a black man, silly.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
adele is garbage and beyonce shoulda won

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Herbie is a Volkswagen not a black man, silly.

You just made me nostalgia hard af, fucking herbie man
Legato and fluidity in your playing is where it's at

DJENT!!
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Shredwizard445
You just made me nostalgia hard af, fucking herbie man

That little bug went like stink man
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
That little bug went like stink man

Motherfucking Michael Keaton was in that shit I completely forgot
Legato and fluidity in your playing is where it's at

DJENT!!
ಠ_ಠ
I mean the reality is who the hell cares about a music award show?
Quote by Thrashtastic15
I mean the reality is who the hell cares about a music award show?
Musicians care, because these awards open doors for them professionally.

The short answer to the question posed in the thread title is yes. The Academy is mostly old white people, and so they tend to vote for the kind of music old white people like (which is why AotY has a tendency to be given to white guys who were at the top of their games 20 years ago--e.g. Dylan, Clapton, Beck, Steely Dan, Robert Plant, etc.). Now, you can say that preferring a kind of music isn't racism, but from the point of view of the black artists who keep getting passed over, what's the difference?
Death to Ovation haters!
Last edited by PatchworkMan at Feb 17, 2017,
Quote by PatchworkMan
Musicians care, because these awards open doors for them professionally.

The short answer to the question posed in the thread title is yes. The Academy is mostly old white people, and so they tend to vote for the kind of music old white people like (which is why AotY has a tendency to be given to white guys who were at the top of their games 20 years ago--e.g. Dylan, Clapton, Beck, Steely Dan, Robert Plant, etc.). Now, you can say that preferring a kind of music isn't racism, but from the point of view of the black artists who keep getting passed over, what's the difference?
musicians that get recognized at the grammys or any such music award show are already popular and established. the door is already "open". if that's your argument in response to mine it's pretty laughably poor and as outdated as the grammys themselves.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
musicians that get recognized at the grammys or any such music award show are already popular and established. the door is already "open". if that's your argument in response to mine it's pretty laughably poor and as outdated as the grammys themselves.
Being nominated for a Grammy is huge for album sales, winning one even more so. They also increase artists' clout in the industry. You can argue (correctly, I think) that the Grammys lack credibility, but their impact on careers is indisputable.

EDIT: Here's a link.
http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/news/2015/the-grammy-effect-how-musics-biggest-night-drives-sales-and-artist-engagement.html
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by PatchworkMan
Being nominated for a Grammy is huge for album sales, winning one even more so. They also increase artists' clout in the industry. You can argue (correctly, I think) that the Grammys lack credibility, but their impact on careers is indisputable.

I wouldn't think so. Beyonce is still a commercially successful artist.

Chance the Rapper on the other hand, being the first unsigned artist to ever win a Grammy, may well get some better commercial recognition because of his win.

Look at the list of the artists who have won "Best New Artist" on the other hand, many of them have been thrust into the spotlight due to it.

Don't forget we're only really arguing about the "Album of the Year" category so far.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by PatchworkMan

EDIT: Here's a link.
http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/news/2015/the-grammy-effect-how-musics-biggest-night-drives-sales-and-artist-engagement.html
it's huge for album sales for artists that are already very successful...? the grammys appeal to a very, very small sliver of music. generally musicians that are already incredibly popular and successful. whether they get a grammy bump or something really doesn't matter, especially if you don't care about the very limited scope of music represented in such an award show. it's not terribly important when you look at the state of music as a whole. it is an outdated, archaic institution that appeals to outdated & archaic consumers of music.
Quote by slipknot5678
i mean how does 1989 beat to pimp a butterfly?

Because it was awesome and sold a lot of albums? I mean TPAB is better but

Also Beyonce got fuckin snubbed so hard on everything
Lmao just watched Fantano's video on the Grammy's and he's pretty spot on about the 'urban contemporary album' category being the category that is 'basically the category where they group together all the black musicians and say, 'ok, here's the category you can win in''
Thrashtastic15 i_lovemetallica Read the link. The Grammys do have a major impact on sales. This is an extensively documented mathematical fact. Yes, the artists are usually already popular, but that doesn't mean a 700% sales boost (not an exaggeration--read the article) isn't a big deal.
Death to Ovation haters!
I wasn't aware that conservatives had anything to do with voting, promoting, watching, paying attention too, or giving a shit about grammys or oscars.

Joni Mitchell deserved that award.
Lemonade was garbage
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by PatchworkMan
Thrashtastic15 i_lovemetallica Read the link. The Grammys do have a major impact on sales. This is an extensively documented mathematical fact. Yes, the artists are usually already popular, but that doesn't mean a 700% sales boost (not an exaggeration--read the article) isn't a big deal.
read my post? it isn't a big deal for the music industry as a whole that a few very popular artists will go from very successful to very very successful. it has very little relevance or impact on the broader music scene in the modern age. dope.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
read my post? it isn't a big deal for the music industry as a whole that a few very popular artists will go from very successful to very very successful. it has very little relevance or impact on the broader music scene in the modern age. dope.

You asked who cares. I replied that musicians care, because it's huge for business. And it is, as I have demonstrated.

Also, your argument seems to hinge on the premise that everyone being nominated for Grammys is already a megastar. Lots of the people nominated for major Grammys this year were on their first major label album, and had therefore never gotten the kind of exposure the Grammy broadcast offers before.

(As a side note, if you're interested in continuing this conversation, lay off the namecalling, please.)
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by i_lovemetallica
I wouldn't think so. Beyonce is still a commercially successful artist.

Chance the Rapper on the other hand, being the first unsigned artist to ever win a Grammy, may well get some better commercial recognition because of his win.

Look at the list of the artists who have won "Best New Artist" on the other hand, many of them have been thrust into the spotlight due to it.

Don't forget we're only really arguing about the "Album of the Year" category so far.

Sturgill Simpson's album that was nominated for Best Album is his first major label release. Winning would have been huge for him. In fact, just getting nominated was probably huge. No, this probably didn't make a huge difference to Beyoncé's career, but most artists, even most Grammy-nominated artists, aren't Beyoncé.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by WCPhils
Lemonade was garbage

wrong

who gives a fuck about the grammy's

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Quote by M00NAGEDAYDREAM
who gives a fuck about the grammy's
We've been over this.
Death to Ovation haters!
Beyoncé made a splash at th country music awards. Was that racist?
Lil Wayne has 24 Grammy nominations (5 wins) to his name. You know for all his great music.
7 white people have won BET awards. That may be racist too.

I am so sick and tired of people playing the race card. If minorities were truly held back we would be having a different discussion such as why is there no music for minorities as opposed how well represented are these performers who are paid millions in some BS circle **** dog and pony show so a bunch of white people can judge how well other white people are treating minorities neither group has ever met.
Last edited by SpeedSix at Feb 17, 2017,
Quote by SpeedSix
Beyoncé made a splash at th country music awards. Was that racist?
Lil Wayne has 24 Grammy nominations (5 wins) to his name. You know for all his great music.
7 white people have won BET awards. That may be racist too.

I am so sick and tired of people playing the race card. If minorities were truly held back we would be having a different discussion such as why is there no music for minorities as opposed how well represented are these performers who are paid millions in some BS circle **** dog and pony show so a bunch of white people can judge how well other white people are treating minorities neither group has ever met.

Are you lost? You know this isn't Reddit, right?
Death to Ovation haters!
oh hey eyenon

Page 1 of 2