So I'm a little behind with current movies lately. About two months ago I saw the 2014 file "Boyhood". Which is really quite good by the way. Anyway at one point in the film Ethan Hawk's character gives his son a "mix tape" compilation of The Beatles - post breakup solo work. He called it "The Black Album". It was a mix of three CDs of music from John, Paul, George and Ringo's solo work from 1970 to 1984 (when John's last solo album "Milk and Honey" was released posthumously). Apparently Ethan Hawke had created this mix for his own daughter and had the idea to include it into the film.

What a great idea, I thought. So found the tracklist on the internet and set out to recreate Ethan's Black Album. As a long time Beatles fan I have all of the Beatles discography and had acquired many of the post break up solo work as well. I just never put them together into a single "best of" mix.

My comments about Ethan's mix. I like he tried to spread out the songs so there was only one time when there were two song in a row by the same Beatle. But I thought he skimped a bit on Ringo's and George's work and by stopping the collection at 1984 he missed out on the fantastic later work by George Harrison in the late 80's (which includes the Traveling Wilburies). There have been a lot of great songs by Paul McCartney over the years since 1984 as well and a few gems here and there by Ringo. A lot of these songs don't get played much now. Also he could have added a least one more CD of good songs from the era before John's death.

With that in mind I acquired the solo albums that i didn't have and made up the mix below. The mix has 5 CDs of songs. Each CD will fit into a 80 minute CDR (if you find the right versions of the songs)

I kept most of Ethan's playlist with two exceptions. I dropped John Lennon's "How" because I don't like that song. And I dropped "And I Love Her" Paul McCartney on MTV Unplugged. - because that's a Beatles song on one of the original Beatles albums so it doesn't belong (IMHO). I also kept most of Ethan's play order of much of the first three CDs but just switched around a few songs to keep within the 80 minute limit of a CDR.

Disc 5 is completely post death of John Lennon.

DISC 1
1. Band on the Run - from the album "Band on the Run", 1973 - Paul McCartney and Wings
2. My Sweet Lord - from the album "All Things Must Pass", 1970 - George Harrison
3. Jealous Guy - from the album "Imagine", 1971 - John Lennon
4. Photograph - from the album "Ringo", 1973 - Ringo Starr
5. I Found Out - from the album "John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band", 1970 - John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band
6. Every Night - from the album "McCartney", 1970 - Paul McCartney
7. What Is Life - from the album "All Things Must Pass", 1970 - George Harrison
8. Maybe I'm Amazed - from the album "McCartney", 1970 - Paul McCartney
9. Woman - from the album "Double Fantasy", 1980 - John Lennon
10. Blow Away - from the album "George Harrison", 1979 - George Harrison
11. Jet - from the album "Band on the Run", 1973 - Paul McCartney and Wings
12. Stand by Me - from the album "Rock 'n' Roll", 1975 - John Lennon
13. No No Song - from the album "Goodnight Vienna", 1974 - Ringo Starr
14. Junk - from the album "McCartney", 1970 - Paul McCartney
15. Love - from the album "John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band", 1970 - John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band
16. The Back Seat of My Car - from the album "Ram", 1971 - Paul McCartney & Linda McCartney
17. Watching the Wheels - from the album "Double Fantasy", 1980 - John Lennon
18. All Things Must Pass - from the album "All Things Must Pass", 1970 - George Harrison
19. Mind Games - from the album "Mind Games", 1973 - John Lennon
20. Bluebird - from the album "Band on the Run", 1973 - Paul McCartney and Wings
21. Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy) - from the album "Double Fantasy", 1980 - John Lennon

DISC 2
1. God - from the album "John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band", 1970 - John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band
2. Listen to What the Man Said - from the album "Venus and Mars", 1975 - Wings
3. Crippled Inside - from the album "Imagine", 1971 - John Lennon
4. You're Sixteen (You're Beautiful, and You're Mine) - from the album "Ringo", 1973 - Ringo Starr
5. Let Me Roll It - from the album "Band on the Run", 1973 - Paul McCartney and Wings
6. Power to the People - from the single "Power to the People", 1971 - John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band
7. Another Day - from the single "Another Day", 1971 - Paul McCartney
8. If Not For You - from the album "All Things Must Pass", 1970 - George Harrison
9. It Don't Come Easy - from the single "It Don't Come Easy", 1971 - Ringo Starr
10. Let 'Em In - from the album "Wings at the Speed of Sound", 1976 - Wings
11. Mother - from the album "John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band", 1970 - John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band
12. Helen Wheels - from the album "Band on the Run" US release, 1973 - Paul McCartney and Wings
13. Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth) - from the album "Living in the Material World", 1973 - George Harrison
14. Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey - from the album "Ram", 1971 - Paul McCartney & Linda McCartney
15. Instant Karma! - from the single "Instant Karma!", 1970 - John Lennon/Ono with the Plastic Ono Band
16. Let it Down (Acoustic Version) - from the album "All Things Must Pass (30th Anniversary Edition)", 1970 - George Harrison
17. Heart of the Country - from the album "Ram", 1971 - Paul McCartney & Linda McCartney
18. Oh Yoko! - from the album "Imagine", 1971 - John Lennon
19. Call Me Back Again - from the album "Venus and Mars", 1975 - Wings
20. Not Guilty - from the album "George Harrison", 1979 - George Harrison
21. The Lovely Linda - from the album "McCartney", 1970 - Paul McCartney

DISC 3
1. Grow Old with Me - from the album "Milk and Honey", 1984 - John Lennon
2. Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five - from the album "Band on the Run", 1973 - Paul McCartney
3. Real Love - from the album "Anthology 2", 1996 - The Beatles
4. Nobody Told Me - from the album "Milk and Honey", 1984 - John Lennon
5. Don't Let Me Wait Too Long - from the album "Living in the Material World", 1973 - George Harrison
6. Oh My Love - from the album "Imagine", 1971 - John Lennon
7. Mull of Kintyre - from the single "Mull of Kintyre", 1977 - Wings
8. Imagine - from the album "Imagine", 1971 - John Lennon
9. Here Today - from the album "Tug of War", 1982 - Paul McCartney
10. Isn't It a Pity (Version One) - from the album "All Things Must Pass", 1970 - George Harrison
11. Coming Up (Live) - from the single "Coming Up" B-Side, 1980 - Wings
12. Back Off Boogaloo - from the single "Back Off Boogaloo", 1972 - Ringo Starr
13. My Love - from the album "Red Rose Speedway", 1973 - Paul McCartney and Wings
14. All Those Years Ago - from the album "Somewhere in England", 1981 - George Harrison
15. Smile Away - from the album "Ram", 1971 - Paul McCartney & Linda McCartney
16. (Just Like) Starting Over - from the album "Double Fantasy", 1980 - John Lennon
17. Bangla Desh - from the album "The Concert for Bangladesh", 1971 - George Harrison
18. Too Many People - from the album "Ram", 1971 - Paul McCartney & Linda McCartney
19. Whatever Gets You Through the Night - from the album "Walls and Bridges", 1974 - John Lennon
20. Take It Away - from the album "Tug of War", 1982 - Paul McCartney

DISC 4
1. Hi, Hi, Hi - from the single "C Moon/Hi, Hi, Hi", 1972 - Wings
2. Working Class Hero - from the album "John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band", 1970 - John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band
3. Wah-Wah - from the album "All Things Must Pass", 1970 - George Harrison
4. Live and Let Die - from the single "Live and Let Die", 1973 - Paul McCartney and Wings
5. Wrack My Brain - from the album "Stop and Smell the Roses", 1981 - Ringo Starr
6. Venus and Mars-Rock Show (single edit) - from the album "Venus and Mars", 1975 - Wings
7. #9 Dream - from the album "Walls and Bridges", 1974 - John Lennon
8. This Guitar (Can't Keep from Crying) - from the album "Extra Texture", 1975 - George Harrison
9. Rockestra Theme - from the album "Back to the Egg", 1979 - Paul McCartney
10. Bring on the Lucie (Freda Peeple) - from the album "Mind Games", 1973 - John Lennon
11. Pipes of Peace - from the album "Pipes of Peace", 1983 - Paul McCartney
12. Awaiting on You All - from the album "All Things Must Pass", 1970 - George Harrison
13. With a Little Luck - from the album "London Town", 1978 - Paul McCartney
14. I'm the Greatest - from the album "Ringo", 1973 - Ringo Starr
15. Ballad of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let it Roll) - from the album "All Things Must Pass", 1970 - George Harrison
16. Junior's Farm - from the single "Junior's Farm", 1974 - Wings
17. Dear Yoko - from the album "Double Fantasy", 1980 - John Lennon
18. Rainclouds - from the album "Tug of War" Bonus Disc on 2015 reissue, 1982 - Paul McCartney
19. Only You (And You Alone) - from the album "Goodnight Vienna", 1974 - Ringo Starr
20. Silly Love Songs - from the album "Wings at the Speed of Sound", 1976 - Wings
21. Give Peace a Chance - from the single "Give Peace a Chance", 1969 - Plastic Ono Band
22. Come and Get It - from the album "Anthology 3", 1996 - The Beatles

DISC 5
1. Cloud 9 - from the album "Cloud Nine", 1987 - George Harrison
2. Don't Go Where the Road Don't Go - from the album "Time Takes Time", 1992 - Ringo Starr
3. End of the Line - from the album "Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1", 1988 - Traveling Wilburies
4. No More Lonely Nights - from the album "Give My Regards to Broad Street", 1984 - Paul McCartney
5. When We Was Fab - from the album "Cloud Nine", 1987 - George Harrison
6. Early days - from the album "New", 2013 - Paul McCartney
7. Any Road - from the album "Brainwashed", 2002 - George Harrison
8. Walk With You - from the album "Y Not", 2009 - Ringo Starr
9. Got My Mind Set on You - from the album "Cloud Nine", 1987 - George Harrison
10. Little Willow - from the album "Flaming Pie", 1997 - Paul McCartney
11. Handle With Care - from the album "Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1", 1988 - Traveling Wilburies
12. Jenny Wren - from the album "Chaos and Creation in the Backyard", 2005 - Paul McCartney
13. Cheer Down - from the album "Lethal Weapon 2 Soundtrack", 1989 - George Harrison
14. Dance Tonight - from the album "Memory Almost Full", 2007 - Paul McCartney
15. This Is Love - from the album "Cloud Nine", 1987 - George Harrison
16. Free as a Bird - from the album "Anthology 1", 1995 - The Beatles
17. Heading for the Light - from the album "Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1", 1988 - Traveling Wilburies
18. Put It There - from the album "Flowers in the Dirt", 1989 - Paul McCartney
19. Rising Sun - from the album "Brainwashed", 2002 - George Harrison
20. New - from the album "New", 2013 - Paul McCartney
21. Maxine - from the album "The Traveling Wilburys Collection", 2007 - Traveling Wilburies

BTW - If you see this same tracklist as a comment on Buzzfeed it's because I put that comment there.
Last edited by rautakallio at Feb 17, 2017,