Okay, so I was looking at buying a CV 60s, but I've heard differing descriptions of the pickups. I know that it has hotter ones than the 50s, but somewhere I heard it has a "classic 69s scooped mids sound," but on most other places I see things saying it's got more mids. Which one is it? Also for those that don't know, the CVs use Toneriders with the 50s using "Pure Vintage" and the 60s using "Classic Blues," which with blues in the name, I would expect it to have boosted mids. I don't like scooped mids, especially with a mid boosting overdrive, which I chose for it's mids knob over the Boss SD-1, to use boosted mids. That should show how much mids mean to me. I hope I get a good answer that makes me 100% sure of which one I should get. Thanks in advance!
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

I live for my girlfriend. <3
I play a strat with Fender CS 69s and they're pretty well scooped. I don't know about the Squier Classic series, but the Fender version of those guitars are definitely more vintage sound: punchy, delicate, responsive... but also low output.

If you really love mids go with humbuckers, or a more modern single coil. The vintage sound is scooped, and it takes a bit of curation to keep in the mix without overdrive. If you're already using a mid boost, it sounds like humbuckers might be the thing. There are a number of noiseless singles that are actually just low-output, slightly scooped humbuckers. I have a guitar with a Seymour Duncan Vintage Rails and it gets a good aggressive tone that is a good middle ground between the single and humbucker tones.
Last edited by cdgraves at Feb 17, 2017,
Well, I'm planning on possibly replacing the bridge with a hot rails (lots of mids!), but I have heard that there is a better mid level on the CV 60s than some other single coil.

Edit: Humbuckers are more low mids, from what I have seen, neither singles nor hums have higher mids, it's more on a case by case basis, though I may be wrong.
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

Last edited by gogiregion at Feb 18, 2017,
Quote by gogiregion
Well, I'm planning on possibly replacing the bridge with a hot rails (lots of mids!), but I have heard that there is a better mid level on the CV 60s than some other single coil.

Well, the Hot Rails not only has lots of mids, but abandons the single coil sound completely...it really is a very hot humbucker. If you are looking for a huge boost when you switch to the bridge pickup, it is a perfect choice, but not so much if you want a better balance between the bridge and the other 2 pickups.
When I would use the bridge hot rail, I would be using it more for the really heavy stuff, wheras the singles would be used more for clean and overdriven tones. I do like to play a wide verity of genres from blues to metal. I'm aware of the huge volume difference, although I'm not 100% sure I know how big it is. Does someone have a video link?

Well at some point you'll probably just want to get another guitar. There are only so many tones you can get out of one, no matter what pickups you use.

If you're playing live and need to switch between sparkly clean tone and aggressive overdrive, I'd just keep a higher output single at the neck.

To some extent you can adjust the output with the pickup height, but that will only go so far before you compromise tone. There are so many options out there for these things, I'd just pay attention to the specs when you're shopping around. Many boutique brands also let you specify output (number of windings) so you can match volume better.
Yeah. It doesn't take too much to satisfy me that much. I currently have a single humbucker guitar, if that means anything.

Edit: I think that a fat-strat would probably fit all of my genres, it can do blues, classic rock, psycadelic rock, hard rock and metal. Do you think a fat strat could play all of those?

Last edited by gogiregion at Feb 18, 2017,
go play that shit in store and find what you like. never mind all that he said, she said shit
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
i doubt there's much of a difference in the squier pups. generally speaking, most strat single coil pick ups sound somewhat mid scooped to me.
if you want mids put a jbjr or hot rails in the bridge, now the guitar will be capable of covering a lot of genre ground.

my HSS strat has a jbjr and a couple "50's" SD single coils. it covers everything from srv to vh and a couple things without "v" letters. like jazz for instance, two "Z"'s but no "V". although a V is good for jazz, if you know what i mean. i'm kidding.

or am i?
Last edited by gregs1020 at Feb 19, 2017,
I highly doubt that there is a huge difference. the amp will have way more to do with your tone than anything else. (barring a bridge hb vs sc)
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Okay. I use an Orange amp which have boosted mids (opposite of Fender), and I love it's sound. If it does have lower mids, then I'll just use my overdrive pedal, which has almost no dirt to it at all, but it does have a mid boost, which is good. I was just wondering because most sources, say it actually has boosted mids, but one I've seen said scooped mids, so I just wanted to know. Also, should I get the JB Jr. or the Hot Rails?

i have a jbjr and it has plenty of mids. it's likely the most typical humbucker sound these days, i call it "pleasantly generic". i haven't owned a hot rails to say but there are plenty of comparison videos that i used when making my choice. the hot rails did sound good to me in those vids, i just went with the jbjr based on my personal taste, yours may differ.
Yeah, I think the JB Jr. might have a more defined sound than all of the main three (rails, JB Jr., & lil 59). I think the lil 59 has too little mids, but Hot Rails has a LOT, maybe too much. Anyone else agree?

Lil 59 is fairly middy, but I only have one at the neck. It's pretty mellow there, but probably more aggressive in the middle or bridge positions. It's meant to sound like the original Les Paul PAF pickups, so it's not going to sound aggressive by any modern standard. I mostly use it for jazz.

The JB is a pretty good humbucker at the bridge. Good full tone with some edge. Useless for any clean, delicate stuff, but that's how higher output bridge pickups are.

I'd agree the HSS strat is probably the most versatile configuration.
Last edited by cdgraves at Feb 19, 2017,
Eh, not as middy. I might want to get that one. Currently I'm just trying to save up for the guitar, it'll still be a while before I need to make the final decision.

Edit: The Fender Website says "quick attack, with a bit more midrange force. I assume this means more mids, but maybe not. It also says "warmer midrange—great for lead guitar." This should mean more mids than most single coils, right? I mean, that's at least what I took out of that.

Last edited by gogiregion at Feb 19, 2017,
Quote by gogiregion
Eh, not as middy. I might want to get that one. Currently I'm just trying to save up for the guitar, it'll still be a while before I need to make the final decision.

Edit: The Fender Website says "quick attack, with a bit more midrange force. I assume this means more mids, but maybe not. It also says "warmer midrange—great for lead guitar." This should mean more mids than most single coils, right? I mean, that's at least what I took out of that.

well sorta. keep in mind that that is more advertising lingo than anything precise. the other thing to keep in mind is that fender style single coils just plain don't have the mid punch associate with humbuckers. it also makes a difference as to what position the pickup is in. then neck will have more mids and bass response than the bridge due to position. as far as I can tell there is no real difference between the pickups in those 2 models the difference is more about the fretboard (maple for 50s and rosewood for 60s) either way those are intended to give you a more vintage strat sound which isn't really about the mids very much.
Quote by monwobobbo
as far as I can tell there is no real difference between the pickups in those 2 models the difference is more about the fretboard (maple for 50s and rosewood for 60s) either way those are intended to give you a more vintage strat sound which isn't really about the mids very much.

Actually, they aren't Fender pickups, they're Tonerider. There are actually differences in the pickups too. That's the biggest mistake people make, mostly because Fender says they're Fender CS pickups, but if you actually check the serial numbers and stuff, They're Tonerider Pickups. 50s is Pure Vintage (http://www.tonerider.com/pure-vintage), and 60s is Classic Blues (http://www.tonerider.com/classic-blues), sound samples linked. They actually sound pretty different.

Edit: For lazy people, the necks are 5.9 and 6.1, with the necks at 6.45 and 6.8, all DCR. So their is definately a difference in output.

Last edited by gogiregion at Feb 20, 2017,
Quote by gogiregion
Actually, they aren't Fender pickups, they're Tonerider. There are actually differences in the pickups too. That's the biggest mistake people make, mostly because Fender says they're Fender CS pickups, but if you actually check the serial numbers and stuff, They're Tonerider Pickups. 50s is Pure Vintage (http://www.tonerider.com/pure-vintage), and 60s is Classic Blues (http://www.tonerider.com/classic-blues), sound samples linked. They actually sound pretty different.

Edit: For lazy people, the necks are 5.9 and 6.1, with the necks at 6.45 and 6.8, all DCR. So their is definately a difference in output.

where did this info come from? both guitars are listed as having custom vintage pickups (alnico 5) nothing else
Quote by monwobobbo
where did this info come from?

I am curious as well.

gogiregion

can you provide a reference?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I've heard it a lot, but on this forum someone found some information. https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/classic-vibe-using-tonerider-pickups.23969/

I personally had thought it was common knowledge, but maybe it's just that I've been reading too much on these guitars. Also, the impedinces are a bit different between the actual Fender CS pickups and the CV pickups.

Edit: I forgot to mention that both the Squiers and Toneriders are built in the same factory, I've heard.

Last edited by gogiregion at Feb 21, 2017,
Quote by gogiregion
I've heard it a lot, but on this forum someone found some information. https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/classic-vibe-using-tonerider-pickups.23969/

I personally had thought it was common knowledge, but maybe it's just that I've been reading too much on these guitars. Also, the impedinces are a bit different between the actual Fender CS pickups and the CV pickups.

Edit: I forgot to mention that both the Squiers and Toneriders are built in the same factory, I've heard.

not mentioned in any official places so I dunno.
At one point I saw pictures with TRS-3 AKA Tonerider Classic Blues Pickups printed on the "Fender CS Pickups."

Quote by monwobobbo
not mentioned in any official places so I dunno.

+1 not too sure on this one
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by gogiregion
At one point I saw pictures with TRS-3 AKA Tonerider Classic Blues Pickups printed on the "Fender CS Pickups."

not on a Custom Shop from Fender. those are made in the US at Corona factory. I read that htread and even then it didn't really answer the ? in any definite way. even if true I doubt that the 2 models have different pickups in them just not the way Fender does things. if it was the case then believe me they'd tell you as part of the advertising.
Could always go for P-90s if you want single coils with lots of mids. It would make your strat unique too!
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Yeah, I've considered that. I might want to use P-90s later. That or buy a P-90 Les Paul; they seem to be cheaper than Humbucker ones.

Edit: Does anybody know any good strat single-coil sized P-90s? I really want an all P-90 strat right now…

Last edited by gogiregion at Feb 24, 2017,