Hi, I just bought a Fender pawn shop '72 (the light green model) and when I got home I noticed a few small bumps (like the goosebumps you get on your skin) on the body (the upper right section of its back). Also in the same area I noticed a small dent as well, but I'm more concerned about the bumps tbh.

Does anybody know possible causes of this? The finish is polyester. Will it affect the guitar functionality? Is it because it was poorly stored? I suppose this pawn shop model is pretty old (can't find it on thomann, fender or other international website, so I guess it is a discontinued model). My guess is it has not been properly taken care of. Or maybe it's a return (B-stock) but it was not mentioned on the website. At around $620 I'd say there must be something going on.

Anyway, my questions:
1. should I take the guitar back?
2. will it affect the guitar tone/ quality over time - this is my main concern because I'm not a "well it has to look perfect" type of person. I just want it to be the best quality and sound, how it looks ain't a deal breaker for me
3. is it fixable? can I take it to a luthier and reapply the polyester laquer?

Update: here's a picture: http://pasteboard.co/Aj1mw0WXz.jpg
Last edited by bluesmommajojo at Feb 19, 2017,
My biggest concern would be the fact if the finish has slipped through QC, what else might be wrong with the guitar that they didn't notice.

If I was you I would take it back, when it comes to spending that kind of money stuff like that should not be happening.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
N1ghtmar3C1n3ma Yeah, kind of my thoughts exactly.. although they are very small details and I didn't notice them until I looked at it in bright light.. I can't believe I didn't look close enough while at the store.
Quote by bluesmommajojo
N1ghtmar3C1n3ma Yeah, kind of my thoughts exactly.. although they are very small details and I didn't notice them until I looked at it in bright light.. I can't believe I didn't look close enough while at the store.

I would try to get the shop to to throw you a few bucks in consultation.

if you like the guitar and it functions perfectly i wouldn't sweat it. HOWEVER that is just me.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
trashedlostfdup As far as I understood I could get tehnical support and adjustments as long as it's still in the warranty, finishing touches are most likely not included but.. Well I just hope they won't be complete jerks and admit that the little dent and few scratches are not made by me. I think it's pretty obvious I couldn't have caused the bumps.

The guitar is perfect otherwise, the sound is very good, I'm just concerned that the wood will be affected over time or that the paint will chip or smth like that. God I feel so stupid for not checking the back.
Last edited by bluesmommajojo at Feb 18, 2017,
Quote by bluesmommajojo
Hi, I just bought a Fender pawn shop '72 (the light green model) and when I got home I noticed a few small bumps (like the goosebumps you get on your skin) on the body (the upper right section of its back). Also in the same area I noticed a small dent as well, but I'm more concerned about the bumps tbh.

Does anybody know possible causes of this? The finish is polyester. Will it affect the guitar functionality? Is it because it was poorly stored? I suppose this pawn shop model is pretty old (can't find it on thomann, fender or other international website, so I guess it is a discontinued model). My guess is it has not been properly taken care of. Or maybe it's a return (B-stock) but it was not mentioned on the website. At around $620 I'd say there must be something going on.

Anyway, my questions:
1. should I take the guitar back?
2. will it affect the guitar tone/ quality over time - this is my main concern because I'm not a "well it has to look perfect" type of person. I just want it to be the best quality and sound, how it looks ain't a deal breaker for me
3. is it fixable? can I take it to a luthier and reapply the polyester laquer?

Update: here's a picture: http://pasteboard.co/Aj1mw0WXz.jpg

1) If you are otherwise happy with the guitar, I say no.
2) Very likely it will not. Looks like minor flaws in the finish, which isn't too surprising given the price / quality of the instrument. Not that it's low quality, but finish flaws exist on guitars that go up into the thousands of dollars. The odds of this being indicative of a serious, underlying problem are very small.
3) Yep absolutely.
My God, it's full of stars!
The paint will chip if you keep staring at it. The blemishes are in there now. Best to leave them alone. If you like the guitar, keep it. If it bugs you enough to take it back, so be it. Those bumps could be anything from dust in the factory to sweat drops from the painter. Blemishes like that just happen. If you are going to make money from this guitar you should probably return it, but only if you can get anything close in return.