Hello guitar people and thanks in advance for any advice put my way. so been learning to play for about a year and half on a acoustic guitar and now on the lookout for my first electric guitar. ive read a couple of threads similar to this ( so sorry for the repeat ) but they were a few years ago and everyones different so here is mine . I have messed around with a friends fender squire and even though the level im at its fine i just dnt see the point in spending 100 on something im going to be looking at upgrading in a couple of months so going on a budget of somewhere between 250 to 400 what is the best in best in that budget and what type of amp would you recommend? Another note i know nothing really of quality of different makes apart from the likes of epiphone ,fender etc so some enlightenment would be greatly appreciated
$400 for both?
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
You need to decide what you think your going to play most. Single coil guitar or humbuckers. Fendery stuff single coil, more driven tones typically humbuckers. $400 isn't a bad start. You should be able to find something pretty decent if you look used. As far as amp goes there's a lot of choices again your back to budget. The more you spend the better the option. For low cost I'd look at boss katana first and go from there.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
scott58 yeah i like blues/roots style rock so again not sure what would suit me best in terms of coils and humbuckers . was looking at epiphone les paul standard and the studio models , maybe trying to pick one up 2nd hand
Not a bad choice, but as always, try before you buy. There are all kinds of neck profiles out there make sure you try as many different guitars as you can.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
I'd suggest a Squier Strat (or maybe a used Made-in-Mexico Strat) and send it to a luthier and get it properly set up. Find a used Fender Mustang amp, preferably one with a 12 inch speaker. You'll be set for a while.
With todays modern manufacturing techniques the quality of one brand is no better than the other, And in fact more often than not several different brands can be manufactured by the same outsourced company, Be it Cort, Samick, World Music, Rino88, or many others, Meaning in most cases the brand name only implies the design, not who actually made it, in which case its price tag generally dictates its quality, So it really comes down to the design you want and how much you wish to spend, But to be honest $250 to $400 can buy a pretty nice guitar these days, Especially if looking in the used market,
Personally I'm from the school of, The amp plays a bigger part in your sound than the guitar in most cases, Granted there are exceptions, but at this stage of your journey I doubt you'd notice them much as you'll be occupied with just trying to get it to sound good at all, and if the amp is incapable of doing that all the guitar in the world wont make a difference. In other words don't skimp on your amp, if so you could be upgrading that a lot sooner than you might think.
As to recommendations within your budget? Not really, Only preferences which tend to be a bit eclectic and expensive, Although the Agile's from Rondo Music seem to get a lot of love on this forum, might be worth checking out the site and reviews, Also the Boss Katana seems to be all the rage lately, Cant say I've tried one, but did buy an Agile for my kid awhile back, And I'll have to admit its a nice guitar for the money, Sounds like a guitar costing 10 times as much when played through a high end boutique 100w tube amp pushing 4x12 Celestion V 30's. But then again so would a Squier.
nastytroll cheers for that man, that answers pretty everything I wanted to now . So I'll think I'll look to maybe putting a bit more money into the amp
Quote by scott58
You need to decide what you think your going to play most. Single coil guitar or humbuckers. Fendery stuff single coil, more driven tones typically humbuckers.

I'm biased because I like them, but if you aren't sure (and if just starting out you probably aren't), you could probably do worse than an HSS or HSH superstrat. Saying it's the best of both worlds if probably overegging the pudding a bit, but they do give you most of the most-used pickup selections from humbucker and fender-style single coil guitars.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by leonleonard86
nastytroll cheers for that man, that answers pretty everything I wanted to now . So I'll think I'll look to maybe putting a bit more money into the amp

Do not be fooled thinking that you are better off spending most of your budget on your amp. The guitar plays a major role in your tone. Changing the amp means having a great change in sound/tone while changing guitar has a less impact on the TYPE of sound. For example from a Fender amp to a Peavey 6505. As long as you have a decent tube amp that suits your style and good speakers (1 good ceremic speaker costs around 100-150 alnico a bit more but they are more classic sounding) you should sound good. On a budget I would get a 1x12 combo which tend to be the best 'bang for the buck'.

On the other hand guitar impacts your playing in a different way. The more expensive guitars have more time spent on them on stuff like filing properly the frets, having a well setup neck, quality bridge components etc... These improve your playing/playing experience. The most significant part of the tone is the guitar electronics. Changing the electronics (including pickups) changes the sound, but more than the actual sound TYPE it changes the sound overall. More expensive guitars tend to have a clearer sound and better note definition. Also, better built guitars tend to have better quality components resulting in less noise. What I mean is a basic Squier is a tool for beginners, a Mexican Fender Stratocaster is a great improvement and I would not mind using it for gigging. An American Stratocaster is about double the price of a Mexican one but it has the extra bit I would look for in tone for recording. Does not mean that the American is the better 'bang for the buck' but it is better sounding. I am quite sure that other companies use similar philosophies, I am simply a Strat player.
^ yeah it's kind of difficult, and you need to watch you don't oversimplify. You also need to watch you're not using extreme and arguably academic examples which don't really come up in the real world ("Would you rather use a Soldano SLO-100 with a Squier Bullet or a Fender Custom Shop with a beginner pack amp?" Well, I dunno, but in the real world I can't see why those would be the only two options... ).

Certainly at the beginner stage I reckon, while overall the amp is more important (or probably a more accurate way to put this is not so much that the amp is more important, both the amp and the guitar are important, just too many players ignore the amp so that's become in oversimplified language "the amp is more important" ), you could make an argument that the guitar is more important. At the cheaper end of the market spending a bit more on a guitar can be the difference between a crap guitar and a remarkably decent one.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah it's kind of difficult, and you need to watch you don't oversimplify. You also need to watch you're not using extreme and arguably academic examples which don't really come up in the real world ("Would you rather use a Soldano SLO-100 with a Squier Bullet or a Fender Custom Shop with a beginner pack amp?" Well, I dunno, but in the real world I can't see why those would be the only two options... ).

Certainly at the beginner stage I reckon, while overall the amp is more important (or probably a more accurate way to put this is not so much that the amp is more important, both the amp and the guitar are important, just too many players ignore the amp so that's become in oversimplified language "the amp is more important" ), you could make an argument that the guitar is more important. At the cheaper end of the market spending a bit more on a guitar can be the difference between a crap guitar and a remarkably decent one.

Yeah, and intermediate players tend to go for budget tube amps with questionable speakers and a decent mid-range guitar. Then they end up spending too much money on gear (pedals, then try to change amps and guitars) because they are not happy with the tone when most of the time guitar electronics and a speaker upgrade would have been the answer.
haha yeah pretty much.

not saying the dearer amps aren't (at least a bit) better, but as you said, plug even a good amp into an iffy speaker and you're not going to get amazing sound. plug a decent amp into a good speaker and you're likely to get something which sounds pretty good.

and yeah pretty much the same about the guitar as well.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So wanted to take a minute to thank everyone for the reply's they are very much appreciated. So having read all the advice given and going by my budget which wasn't as big as I thought I've bought a Marshall 100dfx amp 2nd hand for 110 and I am in the middle of bidding for a 2nd hand made in Mexico strat for about 300 . All prices are in euro if anyone's wondering