I want to upgrade my ibanez to be set up a bit more for metal. Done a bit of research and I'm thinking of doing EMG 81/85 but I do have a crap line 6 amp. Would I hear a difference through a crappy amp? Would the pickups change the tone that much? The Ibanez has those stock powersound pickups. I've done a bit more research and it seems that most people agree that getting a good amp would be better first, and then change pickups. Should I look for a good amp first?
Quote by yammakd
Should I look for a good amp first?

Yes. If your current amp is, by your own admission, no good, you won't be satisfied by the sound no matter what pickups you have.
I have to agree. Over the years, I had noticed that a decent amp affects much. I have a peavey and its OK for when I'm playing metal, but I have a marshall on the way.
New amp.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Line 6 makes a lot of different amps, But the fact you think the one you have is crappy makes it kind of a no brainer, Personally I think once you get to a certain point with your amp your pickups become just so much flavor rather than a determining factor of your tone, I use both active and passive pickups in my guitars, and yes they're is a difference, but most can be adjusted for at the amp. The actives may be a bit cleaner and tighter but they wont bark like a good hot wound passive, And without the right amp its going to be hard to find that tone your looking for no matter what pickups or guitar your using.
Now awaiting your next post, What amp should I get?
Last edited by nastytroll at Feb 18, 2017,
My Peavey is decent, but.. everyone I know or ever met that play, use Marshall.

PS:
Hope my reply didn;t make me come off as a thread hijacker. I was only trying to help and suggest perhaps a new amp would be helpful.
Last edited by linuxesp at Feb 18, 2017,
Crappy amp is gonna choke your sound no matter what's in the guitar, and you don't necessarily need high output/active pickups for metal. If you use pedals, get a decent tube amp. If you have a big budget you can get a Marshall or Mesa/Boogie with great built in distortion channels, but you'd do just as well to save the money on a clean-only amp and use pedals for your drive.
Thanks for all the responses guys. It's a Line 6 Spider IV 15 so yeah really not the best out there. Guess I'll invest in an amp first
nastytroll LOL I would post that but I'd probably just go to guitar center and try stuff out. I find it's fairly easy to find a versatile amp.
linuxesp Not a bad suggestion. I'll definitely be trying out a marshall to see if I like it. They have a good reputation so it'll all depend on trying some amps out
new amp. what is your budget?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Upgrading my pickups or upgrading my amp?

Whenever someone asks this question, it always implies that the amp desperately needs work.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by yammakd
linuxesp Not a bad suggestion. I'll definitely be trying out a marshall to see if I like it. They have a good reputation so it'll all depend on trying some amps out

Look into one. You may be happy with it.
Quote by geo-rage
Are active pickups really only useful on tube amps?

This is a bit like asking if single coils are only useful with fuzz pedals.

The countless number of artists that use active pickups with systems like Kemper, Axe FX etc. don't seem to think so
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
You just missed the 15% sale at Guitar Center. That's $30 off a $200 amp, putting you at $170, which is pretty dang good. Unless you absolutely have to do it now, I'd do some playing on a lot of different amps and get the one you like best when they have their next sale (Memorial Day at the latest). Make sure you bring your guitar to play through them and figure it out. Maybe you could find the right sale and get both upgrades simultaneously.

Something to consider is that if you have the end goal of getting EMG's, then I would play guitars with the EMG's through the amps so I'd know how it was going to sound when I got to the end goal. The amp will definitely act differently with those pickups than a set of stock, passive pickups.

edited math: thanks to gregs1020.
Last edited by GoldJim at Feb 21, 2017,
The amp IS your sound.Electronics in your guitar and then guitar wood choice etc are just fine tuning your sound
Quote by GoldJim
You just missed the 15% sale at Guitar Center. That's $60 off a $200 amp, putting you at $140, which is pretty dang good..

no. that's not how maths work.
Quote by gregs1020
no. that's not how maths work.

Yep, don't do math in your head before coffee! It's $30 off. Sorry.
yammakd truthfully there isn't a $200 new marshal worth buying, except maybe the fridge.

the peavey vypyr sounds much better than the MGs, as do others.

please post a budget and if you need it to keep up with a drummer.
Usually always Amp first, then Pickups if they need it. As said above. Especially if you're running a Spider IV.
try a Peavey Vypyr. great metal tones there.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
You'll be hard pressed to find any love for Line6 here and rightfully so most of their amps are pretty weak. If your budget is tight you should definately consider buying used.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

I am going to toss another vote for the Peavey Vypyr, I have one and it sounds pretty damn good, definitely the best modeller for high gain tones and the in built effects and clean amps are also not too shabby.

I got mine for 75 quid from Cash Converters too, so they can be had for absolute bargain prices if you look.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
In this case I also say an amp or amp sims on the computer.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .